Modified Lil Snoozy - What do you think? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #29

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
How about something like #4 but put a small dinette opposite the side bed?

I like the twin bed idea and have thought of doing it in my Campster. I have only 72 inches to play with, though.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Number 4 has great possibilities.
I'd move the closet to the end, near the door. Refrigerator underneath, or not, as you prefer.
Put a slideout support to allow the small bunk to be 36 inches wide, at least.
Move the sink next to the bathroom; hutch cabinet.
I don't see a range/cooktop. Will you want one, or just microwave?
I like the options for underbunk storage in this plan. Also, easier to convert to a full king later if that's what you decide, or want to offer as an option for resale.
Any upper cabinets anywhere? Or just windows and cargo nets?
Sherry

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I wouldn't want anything on wheels inside a trailer.

Might be worth a roll of blue tape to do an actual size layout.

Your #5 is interesting. Seems to me you might be able to choose dimensions for bed length and the extensions so they could fill the aisle should you wish a single bed. 30"x60" and 30"x18"
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #32

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
An escape owner did this. A little extension for your feet that can be put away during the day. A few scoots get you out of bed, Not over each other. Gives elbow room up top.
Attached Thumbnails
sn.gif  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Jack Knife Couch/Bed size?

What size bed does the original LilSnoozy couch fold out to? I'm wondering why you wouldn't simply sleep one on the bed and one on the "jack-knife couch" if you want separate beds.

I'm seriously considering a LilSnoozy (haven't seen one yet) but am thinking of going in the other direction... I'm wondering how comfortable the couch is and can I take it out and fit in two small recliners?

By the way, I enjoy viewing your schematics perhaps as much as you enjoy drawing them.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #34

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
What size bed does the original LilSnoozy couch fold out to? I'm wondering why you wouldn't simply sleep one on the bed and one on the "jack-knife couch" if you want separate beds.

The bed unfolds to about 72 x 40 I believe, which is plenty big. We did not want to have to make up the bed every night, though. We also want more inside storage with some clothes on hangers.

PS: I do enjoy drawing these plans. Google Sketchup is free and easy to make simple drawings, especially if you stick to 2D.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #35

Michigan
Sherry, thannks for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Number 4 has great possibilities.
I'd move the closet to the end, near the door. Refrigerator underneath, or not, as you prefer.

That's a good idea but the A/C unit is high on the back wall over the sink That is the only place it can fit on the rear wall and I wouldn't it to be sticking out the side.

Put a slideout support to allow the small bunk to be 36 inches wide, at least.

The back cushion sits on the floor next to the bed making it about 38" wide.

Move the sink next to the bathroom; hutch cabinet.

I wouldn't want to spill on the couch next to the closet. The newest plan will use your hutch idea for a 20" deep hanging locker on top of a 24" deep, 30" high cabinet where the closet is shown now. There will probably be a Propex furnace at the bottom of this cabinet.

I don't see a range/cooktop. Will you want one, or just microwave?

More discussion with Ms. Camper-to-be indicates there needs to be a range with oven. Apparently a microwave is not important (goodbye popcorn ).

I like the options for underbunk storage in this plan. Also, easier to convert to a full king later if that's what you decide, or want to offer as an option for resale.

Any upper cabinets anywhere? Or just windows and cargo nets?

Cabinets along the curb side wall and down to the countertop like this pic from the Snoozy websire:

Sherry
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
[/I]

Mike,
Just so your comment won't be considered as a negative, it's intelligent for Scamp or any manufacturer to incorporate the cabinets into the overall structure. Actually the incorporation of cabinets can subsrantially increase the structural strength due to their thickness compared to the wall's thickness. This holds true for all brands of trailers.
Right, absolutely. Didn't mean to pick out one manufacturer, as Casita, Boler, etc. are all designed that way. And the design works. At the same time, I guess I was hoping my comment might help someone someday to realize that they can't strip their egg bare inside and use it that way. When I first started looking, that's what I thought I could do! (duh)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
On #4, it looks like you even would have room to put 2 of those chairs and a table along the curbside wall, clearing the aisle completely. Just a thought.

Personally, that jackknife sofa they offer is a big drawing card to me. My trailer's "sit on a cushion atop a wooden box" sofa is not as comfy as I'd like.

If you built #5, would you still make the bed back into a sofa every day? Or would you just move the back cushion into position and sit on the blankets? (I'm lazy, I know what I would do! )
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #38

Michigan
Mike,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
On #4, it looks like you even would have room to put 2 of those chairs and a table along the curbside wall, clearing the aisle completely. Just a thought.

That would work too. The table is meant to be a light weight folding unit that mostly lives its life in storage.

Personally, that jackknife sofa they offer is a big drawing card to me. My trailer's "sit on a cushion atop a wooden box" sofa is not as comfy as I'd like.

I agree but we hope to avoid stripping and remaking the bed every day.

If you built #5, would you still make the bed back into a sofa every day? Or would you just move the back cushion into position and sit on the blankets? (I'm lazy, I know what I would do! )

Hmmm....
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Cool IS 30 in. enough

My wife and I have been serving on a Ministry Ship for the last 4 months and each sleep on a bunk that is 30 in. wide, but pushed together. It is very much like sleeping on a queen size bed, but with a crqck between us. We are both 6'1", and I weight around 230lbs. It isn't as confortable as our King Size bed at home, but we do get a good nights sleep, and will be doing it for another 20 months.

I have also been sailing for many years on yachts, and most bunks on yachts are less than 30" wide, even on the larger yachts. You should have no problem with 30" bunks, but it may take a little getting use to, as we Americans are use to our roomy beds.

I have also looked at the Lil' Snoozy, went to the factory, and am very impressed with the quality of the finish of the fiberglass parts. I get the feeling with carpeting on the inside surfaces, that the manufacture is trying to hid something, although I have been to the Casita Factory and seen their manufacturing, and it looks very good. Also keeping the interior clean will be a lot easier with a smooth fiberglass surface.

I hope you get what you are looking for and have a wonderful time camping, my wife and I are looking forward to doing the same thing after we complete our time on the Ministry Ship.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
South Carolina
Wow!
You guys have given me some excellent thoughts for future floor plans. One person stated correctly the "LiL Snoozy" needs "no" inner supports so yes the arch can be easily deleted. All of these ideas are great and it just depends on which one suits you the best. Our cabinet shop will build any thing you want as long as it will fit with in the body. As always they will charge extra for it but so far they have been very reasonable on custon designs. One thought I had after reading all of the awesome thoughts is I personally like the idea of the slide out from under the queen mattress like Ken C suggested. That way during the day you will have our unbelivabley confortable couch which is a "three person couch" 68" long. ( I need to get Nicholas to update that drawing) you could then retain the large entertainment center which now has two drawers in it, four shelves and room for a large TV and still have a fold out jack knife couch just in case a grandchild comes along one weekend while also retaing the roominess of our interior. And to accomplish this would be pennys of cost increase. All the while retaining the flexibility for resale by not being too unusual. Keep giving us thoughts, we listen!, and we aim to make this the neatest little camper on the market. By the way some updates. A new tan fiberglass AC cover with matching vents cleans up the ac on the out side and you don't have to remove or fold down anything to turn it on, drains are on the out side so no worries of water drain intrusion in the cabin.. Also a new tan front fiberglass tongue cover (hiding all but a tiny bit of the frame) which gives more room for a gen or propane bottles or extra storage. Another note: We just finished one today and weighed the toungue weight and it looks like we got it down to 195 lbs with the hot water heater full of water! So it looks like we may be able to satisfy the Subaru needs. As always we are evolving daily with new and better ideas and a lot of that credit goes to you guys here on FRV! Again Thanks to you all for your input.
Alan ( The Old MAN Snoozy)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #41

Michigan
OK - here's the (kinda sorta) final result:

We decided that the removable bed extensions in plan #5 were to fussy too be day-to-day practical and so settled on plan #4.

Newest changes are to make the kitchen larger to fit in a 22" three burner drop in range, windows, roof fans and outside storage access doors added and the closet was changed to a hanging locker over a slightly deeper cabinet.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
The plan - as laid out seems to focus a LOT of relatively heavy stuff at the BACK - how's this lil puppy going to balance? Will it have enough tongue weight to be a nice tow?