Mods over the winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I am giving serious thought to cutting out the bottom half of the fiberglass closet in my Burro. I want to make the bed permanent for sleeping lengthwise instead of crosswise. (I'm 6'7")

The reason is it makes leg room for the curbside sleeping area. We find the closet is too small for storing anything but bedding anyway. Our current bed system, which I employed last year involving sliding platforms in the middle of the trailer, worked ok for us on the big trip but does become a tiresome set-up and leaves zero wiggle room for the porta potty.

Of course the best answer is finding a 16 or 17 footer, but we know that's just not gonna happen, unless we win the lottery or some kindly old billionaire takes pity on us. (I know you're out there.)

On our recent big western trip we stored stuff piled up to the right of the stove/sink on the front bench and had to be pulling out the porta potty for use during the night.

So if I do this major surgery I would also remove the long front cushion so the porta potty is now useable without pulling it out, and re-design the streetside corner to include a counter shelf extension with a nested, slide-out table over the porta potty. This gains me an added storage shelf and counter-table.

This is so drastic a solution I am taking my time about it. It would be my first ever totally unreverseable mod.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Quote:
This is so drastic a solution I am taking my time about it. It would be my first ever totally unreverseable mod.
I dreamt, planned, drew it out, dreamt some more and still cringed when I cut the kitchen cabinets in half with the grinder to make room for our bathroom. So glad I mustered the courage. We love our full bathroom!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Since my Playpac is missing the water heater I'm especially interested in what you know about these. Tell me everything pleaseeeeeeeee.

Cam
I don't know much about the RV instantaneous heaters and not sure if anyone on this forum has installed one. The particular model I have my eye on is a Marine version that does not require outside venting (although I would probably add a small one) because it has an oxygen depletion shut off AND it does not require small batteries for the electronic ignition because it has a turbine.

The simplest setup would be an electric instantaneous hot water heater, but we boondock and rely on our deep cycle battery and propane. An electric water heater would drain our battery quickly.

On another note, we have the Dot-Its LED lights over the sink, over the beds, in the closet...we love them!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
We are trying to re-do the interior. Have made a permanent bed instead of the dinette combo.Got the new curtian rods up. The end ones are curved to fit the wall. Wife has finished the new curtians and matching sheets and pillow cases.Now i have to take out the gaucho/bunk and make a small dinette for that area. Cold weather is comming, the garage is not paved, heated or very comfortable this time of year, so some things will have to be put off until spring[How do you spell PROSCRASTINATE] Tried to keep going but just plain ran out of warm
. Now am building dulcimers and wood carving. Have you ever made a canjammer?....FUN!
Jim

OK, what is a canjammer? Anything fun I am interested in.

Thanks,

Susan
Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
........probably simple stuff like remove the aluminum mags and polish them back up. Will use stock old Mazda truck rims (also mags, but not subject to weather elements as much) to park on till the sun comes out again, LOL.
Would you be able to post any pics of the Mazda or Ford wheels that fit the Trillium? Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Would you be able to post any pics of the Mazda or Ford wheels that fit the Trillium? Thanks

Phil

I went to a junkyard and found that Ford Ranger steel wheels fit right on my 1300.
I am talking about the cheap ones.
Sorry for the bad picture but I think you can get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #21

Name: Gail
Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Arizona
Quote:
Since my Playpac is missing the water heater I'm especially interested in what you know about these. Tell me everything pleaseeeeeeeee.

Cam
I just bought one from Excel last month. Mine runs on CNG, but there is a propane heater available
as well. Cost me $430 with shipping. It is the size of a small medicine cabinet. Has hookups for gas, in and out water, and no electrical hookups. The water flow runs an impeller, which produces enough power to ignite the gas. I have it installed in my sailboat. LOVE IT!!! Their website is: excelamerica.com. They sell on e-bay. I used a credit card through Paypal. No problems.
Gail
Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #22

Trailer: Surfside
No Mods over the winter, but here are pics of what I have done so far........recovered cushions, painted furnace vent, new flooring. In the Spring will fix/paint the walls and do new curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer2_002.jpg   resize_003.jpg  

Trailer245.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Quote:
No Mods over the winter, but here are pics of what I have done so far........recovered cushions, painted furnace vent, new flooring. In the Spring will fix/paint the walls and do new curtains.
Nice job on the sewing stuff. Bet you got those goblets at Sears.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:

I'm looking to recover my 22 year old cushions to match my color scheme in my egg....can I ask where you found your cushion fabric?

Thanks,
Carol
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #25

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
I'm looking to recover my 22 year old cushions to match my color scheme in my egg....can I ask where you found your cushion fabric?

Thanks,
Carol

I found the material on Ebay. The seller is FabricCarolina. They had a few different ones I liked. Check them out!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #26

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
Quote:
I just bought one from Excel last month. Mine runs on CNG, but there is a propane heater available
as well. Cost me $430 with shipping. It is the size of a small medicine cabinet. Has hookups for gas, in and out water, and no electrical hookups. The water flow runs an impeller, which produces enough power to ignite the gas. I have it installed in my sailboat. LOVE IT!!! Their website is: excelamerica.com. They sell on e-bay. I used a credit card through Paypal. No problems.
Gail
Thanks Gail, I'm putting that in my file. Have you used it a bunch? Do you vent it to the oustide?

Camilla
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I re-upholstered my Casita last year. I recommend this place if you are looking for some cool retro material. I bought some curtain material from her and was very pleased. She's out of Toronto Canada.

http://www.tonicliving.com/index.asp

brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #28

Name: Gail
Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Gail, I'm putting that in my file. Have you used it a bunch? Do you vent it to the oustide?

Camilla
I live on my boat, and have used the new water heater for about a month. It is ventless, but my previous heater was vented. I just left the old vent cap in place. A vent wouldn't be needed on a trailer-check out the website for details.
Gail