Mods over the winter - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I'll be replacing my entire floor with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, sealing it, and replacing the carpet with something fresh & new.
All new interior doors & hardware
New wedgwood stove w/ cover
Adding shurflo faucet and electric pump
New hubcaps, new upholstery, new curtains, new interior lights

Also *hopefully* replacing my old, tired icebox with a 3 way fridge, if I can find the time and funds after completing all the other listed tasks.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #42

Trailer: Casita 2005 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
Brian

Thanks for the come back and the pictures. I think I will try it out. Tom
Tom & Virginia Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #43

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
I'll be replacing my entire floor with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, sealing it, and replacing the carpet with something fresh & new.
All new interior doors & hardware
New wedgwood stove w/ cover
Adding shurflo faucet and electric pump
New hubcaps, new upholstery, new curtains, new interior lights

Also *hopefully* replacing my old, tired icebox with a 3 way fridge, if I can find the time and funds after completing all the other listed tasks.
Sounds like an ambitious plan! Don't forget to post pictures here; I'd like to see your floor replacement project.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #44

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Here are some pics of our counter extension. Dave used quilted "hot plate" material on the surface so hot pots won't cause any damage. It folds down for travel. Can be used as an eating table in bad weather. It comes in very handy.
Terry

Click image for larger version

Name:	extension_down_viewed_from_couch.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	10986
[attachment=13602:extensio...om_front.
jpg]
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #45

Trailer: Play Pac
Where did you get that hotplate material? I really like that!

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #46

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Sounds like an ambitious plan! Don't forget to post pictures here; I'd like to see your floor replacement project.
Anyone looked into cosmolite yet for floor replacement? I guess is it fleetwood that is making a new superlight weight trailer out of it? I was reading about some new trailer somewhere getting ready to be put "out there" with this new product. I was just thinking it might be a good idea to use for a floor in our eggs.

cosmolite
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #47

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, I just purchased a VuQube which is a neat little satellite dish in it's own little box. It's pretty automatic with just 3 simple steps and your up and running. None of this in and out of the trailer stuff and having to be level as level can be. I'm trying to talk a good friend into copying his pole and brackets for me which lock the dish to the pole and the pole to the trailer.

I'm contemplating making new cabinet doors. I'm just in the design mod right now, thinking about what material I might want and the finish.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #48

Trailer: 17 ft Escape B
Before we put our baby away for the winter we added a Bravetti Microwave/Convection Oven (Cdn Tire approx. $300) to our 17' Escape. Fits perfect on top of the wardrobe. Had Reece and his crew at Escape Trailers bolt it down for us. Large interior and wieghs less than 50 lbs! We also grabbed some of the magnetic tin jars at Cdn Tire people were talking about in another post when we got the oven. Works perfect attaching them to the range hood. Seem to hold on even over some rough roads. Currently working on building some dimmer switches into the interor lights. Trying to find a small SPDT center off switch to replace the ones that came with the lights. Failing that I'll drill a hole in the side and use a small varible resistance pot instead. Reece was nice enough to let me have one to play around with in case I really bugger the thing up. (LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave.jpg   Spice.jpg  

kevin behnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #49

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Quote:
Where did you get that hotplate material? I really like that!

Camilla
I finally saw your question on the hot plate material. Sorry for the delayed answer. I ordered it from a catalogue, like Harriet Carter, or Miles Kimball (1-800-546-2255). They come in 2 sizes and I think, stainless or cooper color. They're intended to sit beside your stove at home to save the counter top. My problem was I didn't have a counter in the UNIK , so Dave built a "box" around the hot pad and built the up or down extension beside the stove. He's great and so is the extension! I use it all the time. Cleans up so nicely. If you have any other questions, jsut let me know. Terry

Click image for larger version

Name:	extension_down_viewed_from_couch.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	11111
Attached Thumbnails
of_50_590_441.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Hi! I'm in the process of panelling my 72 Boler with 3"x8' knotty pine wainscotting. About half done. Man, what a Blast!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen_Bathroom_Door.jpg   Old_Closet_New_Sink_Location.jpg  

Table_Bed_New_Cupboard_Bulkhead.jpg  
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #51

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I like that! Nice job

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #52

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
While we have enough storage in our trailer there always a need for places to put small items without cluttering up the countertop and table. So, this dual-purpose mod should help us.

Dual-purpose, because the inner shell of the Burro consists of two halves bonded together in the middle. Well, for whatever reason the two often don't fit together in a symmetrical manner, and one thing I noticed is that the structural "ribs" appear to have been put into the molds without any reference to the horizon. Obviously a bit of camuflage would be good.

On the streetside, the rib points sharply up, on the curbside (shown in the pictures) it points down a bit. So, since they are structurally very sound I thought they could serve as the foundation for a couple of shelves. Significant shimming was necessary, especially on the street side. Result shown in the picture. The offending support structure is covered, for now, with some fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1792_edited_1.jpg   IMG_1793_edited_1.jpg  

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #53

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
cjlindsay I'm curious what you used for your countertops? Love your idea of the wainscoting.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #54

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Very interesting look with the wood, cjliindsay! It's beautiful.

Per, how fun and what a great way to add some shelf space. Your woodwork is superb!
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #55

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
<snip> And I'm adding new BAL stabilizers that'll hopefully reduce or eliminate trailer rock when we're set up.
<snip>
It also seems prudent to do some reenforcement work on my (2005 Scamp 5th wheel) trailer axle mounts.
Peter, when I had a 2005 Scamp Deluxe 19' 5vr , like you I tried multiple things to reduce 'trailer rock'. Spent quite a bit of time trying to determine just what was allowing it to occur. I extended the OEM rear stabilizers to reach the ground, so they were solid. Always chocked in front and behind the wheels and of course the front landing jacks had quite a bit of weight on them so they seemed solid. Still the rocking was evident from the axle forward, becoming more noticeable the further forward you were.

One thing that made a significant difference was to stabilize the hitch. Noting that on a conventional 5<sup>th</sup> wheel trailer you can purchase a two or three leg king pin stabilizer, I created one for my Scamp 5vr. That stabilizer made a significant improvement in reducing the rocking motion – perhaps by 70 percent. Eventually I determined that the remaining rocking was the result of landing gear flex. While they were stout and could support a large weight load, they allowed movement, both side-to-side movement and front-to-rear.

While at home, I placed a couple of floor jacks to stabilize the front part of the frame and they, in addition to the home made stabilizer and rear stabilizers, made the 5vr feel as if it had been given a solid concrete foundation. Amazing what 7 jack/stabilizers will accomplish! Never duplicated that setup on the road, as when using the home made stabilizer the remaining level of rocking was acceptable.

Maybe this will give you additional insight toward a full solution to your 'rocking' experience.

View the extended OEM rear stabilizers at:
http://tinyurl.com/2szx2h

View that homemade stabilizer at:
http://tinyurl.com/3yqowd

P.S. Did you have a problem with your axle breaking loose from it's mount?
Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #56

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
That loft stabilizer is a thing of beauty.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #57

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
P.S. Did you have a problem with your axle breaking loose from it's mount?
Thanks for the links & pictures. I'll have to consider whether I want to buy the BAL aluminite tripod or build a solution like yours.

As for my axle, I do have the problem axle, but last I looked I did not see any obvious damage to the axle mount. Nevertheless, I do think I'll take it in to a welder and have them add a length of steel pipe to support the mount before I run into problems.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #58

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I purchased one of those alumilite gooseneck tripods from campingworld.. Makes it really nice when parked.

Name:   35796n.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  2.0 KB
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #59

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
[quote]I purchased one of those alumilite gooseneck tripods from campingworld.. Makes it really nice when parked.

Attachment 11588

That's exactly what I was thinking about! You say it works well????

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #60

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Yes it works great! Personally i just dont like any support underneath the front part of the trailer even tho I know its ok...... but I could really tell the difference!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote