Mods over the winter - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #57

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
P.S. Did you have a problem with your axle breaking loose from it's mount?
Thanks for the links & pictures. I'll have to consider whether I want to buy the BAL aluminite tripod or build a solution like yours.

As for my axle, I do have the problem axle, but last I looked I did not see any obvious damage to the axle mount. Nevertheless, I do think I'll take it in to a welder and have them add a length of steel pipe to support the mount before I run into problems.

--Peter

Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #58

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I purchased one of those alumilite gooseneck tripods from campingworld.. Makes it really nice when parked.

Name:   35796n.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  2.0 KB

Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #59

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
[quote]I purchased one of those alumilite gooseneck tripods from campingworld.. Makes it really nice when parked.

Attachment 11588

That's exactly what I was thinking about! You say it works well????

--Peter
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #60

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Yes it works great! Personally i just dont like any support underneath the front part of the trailer even tho I know its ok...... but I could really tell the difference!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #61

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Some progress finally! Perhaps not really a modification rather a start at the restoration!

I got the idea to try the Marine Epoxy instead of the fiberglass from FGRV here and it worked rather well I think.
Attached Thumbnails
2008_0210Image0017.JPG   2008_0210Image0027.JPG  

2008_0210Image0029.JPG  
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #62

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Before and after. One coat of primer on the bottom so far.
Attached Thumbnails
2008_0210Image0024.JPG   2008_0210Image0028.JPG  

Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #63

Name: Cory
Trailer: Decrepit Canoe
British Columbia
Hi Bonnie. Sorry for the slow reply. I used a 20"x72"x3/4" pine project board from Home Depot, cut and ripped to size. then fastened from below.

Thanxs! Cory

Hey Charlene. Thank you, thank you! Sorry 'bout the slow reply.Yup, one thing lacking in a Boler...Storage/Shelf space. Decided not to re-install the stove for that reason. Will use a portable propane stove. Gives me the flexibility to cook indoors or out without the weight of two stoves.
Thanx! Cory

Hi Karalyn.

Thanx! Cory
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #64

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...my OH MY!!!!
That is absolutely stunning!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #65

Name: Cory
Trailer: Decrepit Canoe
British Columbia
Hey-hey there Doug.

Thanx!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #66

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
If my memory serves me right I received some criticism from a fellow fiberglasser some time back. He didn't like my "frontal area" and my "profile" apparently wasn't much better.

On reflection I chose to interpret this as referring to my trailer, not my body, so that was something I would be able to tweak a bit.

Therefore the I replaced the old vent and cover with a MaxxFan (model 5500). Several advantages, one of which is a more streamlined contour. Considering the slim margin between the tow limit on the Ody and the actual towed weight it might help a smidgen, particularly at over 60mph. The old cover was a bit of unnecessary drag. Boat anchor, actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Old_vent__resized.jpg   MaxxFan_profile__resized_edited_1.jpg  

Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #67

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I'm in the process of installing the new front and rear plexi windows with the gasket and lockstrip right now. So far I've removed the old rear window and the gasket was so brittle it broke instead of peeled away. Cleaned up the shell around the window which was a mess under the old gasket. Stretched and reglued the "hide" on the interior around the window, painted it all the way out to the opening and installed the new gasket. Now I'm ready for the fun part, installing the window in the new gasket and then the lockstrip. I'll take photos from here and keep you posted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #68

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm in the process of installing the new front and rear plexi windows with the gasket and lockstrip right now. So far I've removed the old rear window and the gasket was so brittle it broke instead of peeled away. Cleaned up the shell around the window which was a mess under the old gasket. Stretched and reglued the "hide" on the interior around the window, painted it all the way out to the opening and installed the new gasket. Now I'm ready for the fun part, installing the window in the new gasket and then the lockstrip. I'll take photos from here and keep you posted.
I'd love to know how difficult this turns out to be. I've read horror stories. I'd like to replace both my front and rear windows with sliders. By the way, this is my first post. I just dragged home a 76 13' Scamp yesterday. Its pretty cherry but I'm not one to leave things "as is". I'm looking to re-upholster, tile, re-taping the insulating liner, repaint exterior, flip the axle, Make new cabinet doors and run LED though-out. Anyway....good luck with the windows!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #69

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Thanks Jonathan and welcome. Congrats on your new to you Scamp.
Done a complete gut and redo on ours over the last year and now I'm focusing on outside issues.
Did most of the mods you are looking at, so happy to help if you have any questions over the course of your project.
Will post the window progress as I move forward.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #70

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I'd love to know how difficult this turns out to be. I've read horror stories. I'd like to replace both my front and rear windows with sliders. By the way, this is my first post. I just dragged home a 76 13' Scamp yesterday. Its pretty cherry but I'm not one to leave things "as is". I'm looking to re-upholster, tile, re-taping the insulating liner, repaint exterior, flip the axle, Make new cabinet doors and run LED though-out. Anyway....good luck with the windows!
I took the front window out of a 79 Scamp that I had last summer and like you I was dreading putting it back.
I used the old gasket and lock strip and it was not difficult at all, just messy. I used copius amounts of Armour all to lube the lock strip and it went right in with the aid of a screw driver.
I was surprised as I heard the same horror storys.
Hope this helps,
John