Mods over the winter - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #71

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
I took the front window out of a 79 Scamp that I had last summer and like you I was dreading putting it back.
I used the old gasket and lock strip and it was not difficult at all, just messy. I used copius amounts of Armour all to lube the lock strip and it went right in with the aid of a screw driver.
I was surprised as I heard the same horror storys.
Hope this helps,
John
Thanks John. It helps for encouraging me to go out there this weekend and give it a try.
I did buy a lockstrip tool so hopefully that will make it easier. I hear the tough part is getting the plexi into the gasket. I did one a long time ago on a kit car and I don't remember it being too bad though.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #72

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I replaced the converter and cleaned up the wiring in the area near the converter. See http://scamp.n0kfb.org/ for details.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #73

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Some time ago I made an Emergency Flasher Box. Mine has 3 switches:
  1. Flashes the Brake Lights
  2. Lights the Running Lights
  3. Lights the Back-up Lights
It also has a capped 12 Volt outlet.

Recently I had difficulty digging it out of a storage cubby. I got to pondering a better place to keep it, while standing back and staring at the trailer... and thought, "I wish it were always handy and didn't need to be searched for." I looked at the length of the pigtail that normally plugs into the back of the tow vehicle...

I could build it into the propane tank cover. My tank cover sits away from the front of the trailer. Normally, I just coil up the pigtail around the tongue jack. Now I can feed the pigtail under the tanks and plug it into the back of the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_unplugged.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	11801

I can reach the 3 switches from the top, and the 12 volt outlet is protected.

Name:	3_back_of_cover.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	11803

The guts of the thing takes up very little space in the area between the 2 tanks.

Name:	4_inside_cover.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	11804
Attached Thumbnails
2_plugged_in.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #74

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am not so sure that having switches, no matter how well insulated, and even located near the top of the enclosure, inside an area where a propane leak could be held captive is a wise idea.

1 spark.
Goodbye.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #75

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I am not so sure that having switches,....inside an area where a propane leak could be held captive is a wise idea.

1 spark.
Goodbye.
Well thats one way to detect if you have a gas leak
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #76

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's my latest Mod. I built and installed a small shelf in the back streetside corner between the side and rear windows. I attached it to the window frame and also brought a brace up from the bed cabinet to the underside of the shelf to stabilize it to stop any tilt. I attached a small shelf underneath for the DVD/Satellite boxes. Now that my new TV has arrived I'm thinking about making the shelf about 1 1/2 inches deeper. This will allow me more depth side to side so the lower shelf can accommodate both components. Initially I thought I'd just swap them out. Also if I put a small clete on the front edge and velco on the bottoms of the components, I can leave them in place. The TV will reside on the bed when traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4140.JPG   109_4153.JPG  

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #77

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
that's really nice looking. how do you plan to enlarge it?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #78

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I attached it to the window frame and also brought a brace up from the bed cabinet to the underside of the shelf to stabilize it to stop any tilt.
Looks good, can you post a picture of the attachments to the window frame and the brace? The curtains are in the way....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #79

I was just thinking about bringing it out of the wall a little further which makes the shelf deeper and also allows me to make the shelf underneath wider. The components will sit side by side.

With the current shelf I'm limited on width underneath because of the curature in the corner. As you gain depth on top you also gain depth near the windows.

I think I'll play with the existing setup for awhile and then decide if I really want to enlarge it or not.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #80

Now that the TV has it's new space in the trailer I'll show you my other Mod.

I used to have a folding table over the couch under which the TV was stored or on top when in use.

I replaced the folding table by building a permanent table which fills in the entire corner. You will notice a cut out area on the right. That's because my solar panel is stored against the front wall of the trailer between it and the couch cushion, hidden by pillows. I worried that without the cutout I wouldn't be able to get the solar panel in place. As it turns out I didn't need the cut out, oh well.

I now have a stable place to use the Microwave and a place underneath to store it. Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4121.JPG   109_4155.JPG  

109_4159.JPG  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #81

West Coast USA
Registry
Joy, thats really a good job..

I have no woodworking skills at all. I want to do the end shelf mod on my rig and make the dogs a "Room" under it. Thats where they sleep anyway, right at the end of the bed. I have plenty of room for me this way too. (I am short LOL!)
Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #82

Donna,

The brackets to the window frames are just little "L" brackets. The brace is a piece of 1/8 x 1 inch aluminum. I simply measured to length and bent a foot on the bottom and top. Screwed it into the cabinet and the bottom of the shelf. The brace keeps the shelf level. There really won't be any weight to speak of while traveling. The TV will be on the bed just below and maybe the components, too.

No picture as I ran it up behind the carpeting. Just so happens that's where the joints of the carpeting are and the strip that covers the joint. I've already glued it all back together. Sorry

Gina,
I almost made a shelf all the way from the back to the sink cabinet. I know a couple that have done so simply to have extra counter space. They have it high enough for their feet to go under which is about the bottom of the window. If they chose to put the dinette up they just lift the shelf out. He just used 3 pieces of wood, glued and screwed together in a "U" shape and set in place. 2 as uprights and 1 as a shelf. 3/4inch plywood should do it.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #83

West Coast USA
Registry
I sleep up front and the back is open seating area. A little extra counter space would be great over there. I don't have a drip coffee maker in the trailer, but it would be nice to have one for when I have hook ups. That would be a good place for it.

The space now has dog blankets and other unsavory looking stuff, it would be nice to hide it.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #84

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
love the shelf extension! i have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing all winter.....how did you attach it??
i, too, considered the "U" shaped shelf ---portable--idea....and it's my second option. however, having a foldable one is
my first choice.