Mods over the winter - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #81

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Joy, thats really a good job..

I have no woodworking skills at all. I want to do the end shelf mod on my rig and make the dogs a "Room" under it. Thats where they sleep anyway, right at the end of the bed. I have plenty of room for me this way too. (I am short LOL!)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #82

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Donna,

The brackets to the window frames are just little "L" brackets. The brace is a piece of 1/8 x 1 inch aluminum. I simply measured to length and bent a foot on the bottom and top. Screwed it into the cabinet and the bottom of the shelf. The brace keeps the shelf level. There really won't be any weight to speak of while traveling. The TV will be on the bed just below and maybe the components, too.

No picture as I ran it up behind the carpeting. Just so happens that's where the joints of the carpeting are and the strip that covers the joint. I've already glued it all back together. Sorry

Gina,
I almost made a shelf all the way from the back to the sink cabinet. I know a couple that have done so simply to have extra counter space. They have it high enough for their feet to go under which is about the bottom of the window. If they chose to put the dinette up they just lift the shelf out. He just used 3 pieces of wood, glued and screwed together in a "U" shape and set in place. 2 as uprights and 1 as a shelf. 3/4inch plywood should do it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #83

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I sleep up front and the back is open seating area. A little extra counter space would be great over there. I don't have a drip coffee maker in the trailer, but it would be nice to have one for when I have hook ups. That would be a good place for it.

The space now has dog blankets and other unsavory looking stuff, it would be nice to hide it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #84

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
love the shelf extension! i have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing all winter.....how did you attach it??
i, too, considered the "U" shaped shelf ---portable--idea....and it's my second option. however, having a foldable one is
my first choice.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #85

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
+++++++++++++++++++++

Despite having a new trailer, I generally try to fit it out to suit my wishes. I plan to install at least one additional 12 volt outlet. I have purchased two cig. light type receptacles with covers that I can use through my inverter to power my satellite radio, charge rechargable batteries etc. My solar panels usually take care of the required electricity.
+++++++++++++++++++

I spent about 2 hours today, installing a 12 volt marine plug under the cupboard that is above the dinette. Bigfoot installs a false bottom to allow wire to pass through. I had to remove the factory installed am/fm dvd player, as well as the compartment wall beside this unit. I had to then fabricate a plywood backing plate, as the wood material on the bottom side of the cupboard was about 1/8". I removed the 12 volt lamp assembly as well, as I tapped into the wires that fed the light. When I re-installed the lamp, I had to use toothpicks on two of the holes due to the thin wood being stripped once I removed the screws.

I now have a 12 volt circuit beside the 110 volt circuit that Bigfoot installed and readily accessible for my satellite radio, satellite tv receiver or any other use. It was a bit of an extra job, as the trailer is across the property from my house and it was necessary to make several trips for tools, fabricating the plywood backing plate etc. I had to be mindful that RV wiring is backwards to automotive and marine - rv has black for hot, while the automotive and marine business has black for ground. I made that mistake only once, and had to replace a light fixture because of it

Rick
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #86

Well, I decided to make a deeper shelf so the little shelf underneath would sit out from the wall further. When I completed the larger shelf I had the original left over where to store it, another item in the garage.

Why not attach the larger shelf to the original smaller shelf.

The larger shelf sits out from the wall further and both the DVD player and Satellite box can sit on it, with the TV on the original shelf above. I used the same brackets on the sides to affix to the windows, their straight brackets with a slight bend. Because the whole combination is heavier, I used 2 braces on the bottom down to the cabinet. I used a thicker aluminum 1"x 1/4".

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_4204.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	12845

The new tiered shelf

Name:	109_4207.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	12846

In the back are 4 brackets, aluminum screwed into the back of the lower shelf and the underneath of the upper shelf.
In the front is one bracket centered, affixed to the underneath of upper shelf and top of the lower shelf.

Name:	109_4210.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	12847

I couldn't get a good picture of this but it's the straight bracket from the underside of the top shelf to the window frame.

Name:	109_4203.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	12848

This shows the braces from the underside of the lower shelf to the cabinet. The black box is an A/B box for the option of cable or satellite.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #87

The final product. With all the cords hidden in the back and under the mattress/bedding.

Name:	109_4185.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	12849

Attached Thumbnails
109_4189.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #88

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow..Joy..thats really nice.....!! I would love to put a small shelf up in the bunk for my DVD player... your so talented...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #89

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
That loft stabilizer is a thing of beauty.
A belated response, thanks Cam A. Sometimes a mod comes along that is just really fun to do and this was one of those.
http://tinyurl.com/3yqowd
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #90

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
A belated response, thanks Cam A. Sometimes a mod comes along that is just really fun to do and this was one of those.
http://tinyurl.com/3yqowd
The paint roller telescoping legs actually provide enough strength to take out the rocking in the trailer? I suprised. Sounds real flimbsy stength wise.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #91

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
The paint roller telescoping legs actually provide enough strength to take out the rocking in the trailer? I suprised. Sounds real flimbsy stength wise.
George,
The landing gear is supporting the majority of the front trailer weight. The mod is effective with about 15 to 25 lbs of weight. It was a large improvement.

Later I determined that the remaining movement was due to the landing gear. That can be corrected by bracing the landing gear or installing stabilizer jacks on the front of the frame.
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #92

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

Quote:
Before and after. One coat of primer on the bottom so far.
More progess ... yeah, it's been painfully slow!

Name:	IMG_0215Websize.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	26424
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote