Mods over the winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Pretty much just asking people out there if anyone is planning on doing any mods over the winter to their trailers?
If so what are they??
I'm installing some cold cathode tube lights, installing a cd player and who knows what else.

Kent
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Make new carpet piece. We don't glue our carpet down, we use lightweight (kind of throw rug) carpet, just cut to fit all nooks & crannies, sew pieces together (probably 2) and lay down. This way, we can pull out, hang on a line and beat it. Works well when you camp with a wet Labrador.

Install instant hot water heater if I get about $300 from Santa. Have my eye on the ventless RV instant marine Excel (on Ebay) that ignites with water flow turbine used to ignite (no batteries!)

Tables - Still working on the design of these
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I just added a pull out table by the bed. We discovered early on that we sleep with our heads on the closet side and there was nowhere to set a tea or coffee while reading in bed, etc. Attached pics show new pull out table on the bottom of the closet door just above the right side of the microwave. Secures with a bolt for travel and also stabilizes the microwave during transit. First pic is in stored position and second pic is extended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bed_table.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	10853

Attached Thumbnails
bed_table_out.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Not sure I like anything that "comes out of the closet" but it looks neat... and best water heater I saw was an old small/tall elec. coffee urn with pour spout $5.00 garage sale buy...some disassembly and proper current bush required!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Pretty much just asking people out there if anyone is planning on doing any mods over the winter to their trailers?
If so what are they??
I'm installing some cold cathode tube lights, installing a cd player and who knows what else.

Kent
Kent,

Where will you be installing your lights? Why will you be using these kind? I won't be doing anything until Spring but I'd like to use all LED lights when I redo the Playpac to save on battery drain so I was just wondering. I've decided to just gut and start over so I really pay attention to this part of the forum to see what you all are doing and why.

Cam
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:

Install instant hot water heater if I get about $300 from Santa. Have my eye on the ventless RV instant marine Excel (on Ebay) that ignites with water flow turbine used to ignite (no batteries!)
Since my Playpac is missing the water heater I'm especially interested in what you know about these. Tell me everything pleaseeeeeeeee.

Cam
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
........probably simple stuff like remove the aluminum mags and polish them back up. Will use stock old Mazda truck rims (also mags, but not subject to weather elements as much) to park on till the sun comes out again, LOL.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Quote:
Kent,

Where will you be installing your lights? Why will you be using these kind? I won't be doing anything until Spring but I'd like to use all LED lights when I redo the Playpac to save on battery drain so I was just wondering. I've decided to just gut and start over so I really pay attention to this part of the forum to see what you all are doing and why.

Cam
Pretty much in the same place where my 12 volt lights are now, and I'm going with these because they are very low amps to run and not directional light like LED's. If you check out this post you'll find out lots about them. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...hl=cold+cathode
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
We are trying to re-do the interior. Have made a permanent bed instead of the dinette combo.Got the new curtian rods up. The end ones are curved to fit the wall. Wife has finished the new curtians and matching sheets and pillow cases.Now i have to take out the gaucho/bunk and make a small dinette for that area. Cold weather is comming, the garage is not paved, heated or very comfortable this time of year, so some things will have to be put off until spring[How do you spell PROSCRASTINATE] Tried to keep going but just plain ran out of warm
. Now am building dulcimers and wood carving. Have you ever made a canjammer?....FUN!
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
If so what are they??

Kent
+++++++++++++++++++++

Despite having a new trailer, I generally try to fit it out to suit my wishes. I plan to install at least one additional 12 volt outlet. I have purchased two cig. light type receptacles with covers that I can use through my inverter to power my satellite radio, charge rechargable batteries etc. My solar panels usually take care of the required electricity. I have a LCD TV, that I gather are actually 12 volt appliances that use 110 v AC to make 12 v DC. I should be able to adapt a cig lighter type plug to run off 12 volts, rather than use 12 v to 110 v via the inverter which then converts 110 v back to 12 v.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'll be making doors for the kitchen cabinets to match the ones in the loft and chest of drawers I built. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll work on changing the dinette into a "U" shape and make a new dinette overhead cabinet. And I'm adding new BAL stabilizers that'll hopefully reduce or eliminate trailer rock when we're set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Jul12_Chest_of_Drawer_Top___Trim.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	10859

It also seems prudent to do some reenforcement work on my (2005 Scamp 5th wheel) trailer axle mounts.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
And I'm adding new BAL stabilizers that'll hopefully reduce or eliminate trailer rock when we're set up.
If you quit inviting the missus up to the loft the trailer rock may eliminate on it's own...

Sorry Peter, you were wide open on that one.
I remember the pics of your cabinet doors in your mod. Can't wait to see that done throughout, they were really cool.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
If you quit inviting the missus up to the loft the trailer rock may eliminate on it's own...
Now you mention it, trailer rock doesn't seem to be much of a problem when I'm camping on my own . . . .

But these are actually just the rear stabilizers, not much help for movement up in the loft. Our 5er came "lifted" so the loft would fit over the side-rails of the previous owner's truck bed. Problem is the rear stabilizers that came with the trailer aren't quite long enough to reach the ground. If the ground is level I have to put a 4x4 wood chock down under each stabilizer leg to get them to touch down, more if the trailer is parked on a slope. The new 24" stabilizers should easily touch down without the chocks and make the back end of the trailer more stable, too.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The continuing project of replacing all the cupboard doors with solid maple doors decorated with woodburning an painting.

The first mod is to make a piece that will fit over the little window over the stove and mount two 12 Volt exhaust fans. The actual design is still floating around in head, and constantly being modified. Once my head finishes all the design modifications I can start to work.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I am giving serious thought to cutting out the bottom half of the fiberglass closet in my Burro. I want to make the bed permanent for sleeping lengthwise instead of crosswise. (I'm 6'7")

The reason is it makes leg room for the curbside sleeping area. We find the closet is too small for storing anything but bedding anyway. Our current bed system, which I employed last year involving sliding platforms in the middle of the trailer, worked ok for us on the big trip but does become a tiresome set-up and leaves zero wiggle room for the porta potty.

Of course the best answer is finding a 16 or 17 footer, but we know that's just not gonna happen, unless we win the lottery or some kindly old billionaire takes pity on us. (I know you're out there.)

On our recent big western trip we stored stuff piled up to the right of the stove/sink on the front bench and had to be pulling out the porta potty for use during the night.

So if I do this major surgery I would also remove the long front cushion so the porta potty is now useable without pulling it out, and re-design the streetside corner to include a counter shelf extension with a nested, slide-out table over the porta potty. This gains me an added storage shelf and counter-table.

This is so drastic a solution I am taking my time about it. It would be my first ever totally unreverseable mod.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
This is so drastic a solution I am taking my time about it. It would be my first ever totally unreverseable mod.
I dreamt, planned, drew it out, dreamt some more and still cringed when I cut the kitchen cabinets in half with the grinder to make room for our bathroom. So glad I mustered the courage. We love our full bathroom!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Since my Playpac is missing the water heater I'm especially interested in what you know about these. Tell me everything pleaseeeeeeeee.

Cam
I don't know much about the RV instantaneous heaters and not sure if anyone on this forum has installed one. The particular model I have my eye on is a Marine version that does not require outside venting (although I would probably add a small one) because it has an oxygen depletion shut off AND it does not require small batteries for the electronic ignition because it has a turbine.

The simplest setup would be an electric instantaneous hot water heater, but we boondock and rely on our deep cycle battery and propane. An electric water heater would drain our battery quickly.

On another note, we have the Dot-Its LED lights over the sink, over the beds, in the closet...we love them!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
We are trying to re-do the interior. Have made a permanent bed instead of the dinette combo.Got the new curtian rods up. The end ones are curved to fit the wall. Wife has finished the new curtians and matching sheets and pillow cases.Now i have to take out the gaucho/bunk and make a small dinette for that area. Cold weather is comming, the garage is not paved, heated or very comfortable this time of year, so some things will have to be put off until spring[How do you spell PROSCRASTINATE] Tried to keep going but just plain ran out of warm
. Now am building dulcimers and wood carving. Have you ever made a canjammer?....FUN!
Jim

OK, what is a canjammer? Anything fun I am interested in.

Thanks,

Susan
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
........probably simple stuff like remove the aluminum mags and polish them back up. Will use stock old Mazda truck rims (also mags, but not subject to weather elements as much) to park on till the sun comes out again, LOL.
Would you be able to post any pics of the Mazda or Ford wheels that fit the Trillium? Thanks
Phil H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Would you be able to post any pics of the Mazda or Ford wheels that fit the Trillium? Thanks

Phil

I went to a junkyard and found that Ford Ranger steel wheels fit right on my 1300.
I am talking about the cheap ones.
Sorry for the bad picture but I think you can get the idea.
Attached Images

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote