Mods the Former Owner did that you like - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I got this to put in my Boler 13 foot. I will have to get a new electrical box for the receptacle since this doesn't fit into the existing one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alex,

That could work. It will require shore power or some other source of 120 VAC unless you have an inverter integrated into the trailer's wiring.

The one I installed in the Casita provides the ability to charge USB devices from the trailer battery when there's no access to shore power. Spaces with shore power are tough to get around here on summer weekends.

Edit: The description says:

15 Amp 125 Volt AC Charging.Tamper-Resistant: The safety door can prevent the insertion of a single weapon, reducing the electrical damage to children.

We usually prefer that the kids leave their switchblades and shanks at home!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #62

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Mike, I was thinking of putting this on one of my 120 circuits when I rewire my trailer. It has an automatic transfer switch built in:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017A27JYK...d=KLYCPWIA5GEO
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #63

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Mike, I was thinking of putting this on one of my 120 circuits when I rewire my trailer. It has an automatic transfer switch built in:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017A27JYK...d=KLYCPWIA5GEO
Well, there you go then!

By the way, Buggee has a thread where he's describing the vampire current in his inverter in case you think that might be a potential issue.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-82317.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #64

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40bpm View Post
This is a mod I'd like to make. Does it heat your trailer adequately?

Any further comments or pix would be greatly appreciated.
I have not camped in it yet but have done some tests in my driveway (I always like to test gear before I take it out). Spend the night in it, low that night was 30, using just the Wave 3 set to high. I started it a couple of hours before bed, with a starting temp of about 40. It was able to bring the temp up to around 52-53 and held that through the night. This was at bed level, it was much warmer standing up. This was with reflectix on all the windows except the escape hatch and the door window. Those were cracked open.

I then tried the heater on low during the day, high of 50. The heater got the internal temp up to 85 before I had to turn it off.

It is an older heater and I don't know how effective it is vs. a new one. I don't know how much "pad poisoning" it has suffered. But it seemed to work well.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #65

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
test

Aaron I ran a test on mine yesterday because there was a lot of complaining about the carbon monolide problem here. I ran mine for 9 hours on low outside temp 40d.

I put in 2 monitors one has a digital readout they never did kick off and I never smelled anything the digital meter stayed at zero! Usually an unvented heater will throw off a slightly funny smell.

Last Feb we took our A-Liner out and used the wave 3 lows in the 20s big winds chilly but not cold. I have mine set up with a quick disconnect so I can run our propane cook stove if need be. We are big time boondockers you can usually find us at the Walmarts free parking not campin!

When we got back I took the tank to get refilled he could only get 2 gals in it. Those heaters run cheap and efficiently.

I have heard of people running the wave 8 now I think that thing could suck up some gas!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #66

Missouri
battery

I have thought about his but with my back trouble I am not allowed to bend over much at least for now. I also don't want any lifting in that manner.

I finally decided to keep mine on the tongue I have eliminated the extra gas tank on the tongue this has helped a lot I think and moved more stuff to the rear of the 13f.

by the way what does the cva stand for on your suburu?

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #67

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
CVT stands for Continuously variable transmission. After 60K miles it continues to work fine. I will let you know at 160K. I do change the fluid twice as often as recommended in the manual.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #68

Missouri
goti it

ok john I understand so you don't have any gears am I correct? This is a different idea in shifting.

My 2015 Ford Edge mystifies me it has no filter no way to really change the fluid it must be pumped out and new put in some way also no way for you to check it. I don't like it personally but that is what I have.

My mechanic sort of changed it last time by taking the transmission cover off and draining it. The pan is put in sideways by the way.

Another of Ford s better ideas but not for me I like to monitor all my stuff one of my favorites is go by the look and smell of transmission fluid!

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #69

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Aaron I ran a test on mine yesterday because there was a lot of complaining about the carbon monolide problem here. I ran mine for 9 hours on low outside temp 40d.

I put in 2 monitors one has a digital readout they never did kick off and I never smelled anything the digital meter stayed at zero! Usually an unvented heater will throw off a slightly funny smell.

Last Feb we took our A-Liner out and used the wave 3 lows in the 20s big winds chilly but not cold. I have mine set up with a quick disconnect so I can run our propane cook stove if need be. We are big time boondockers you can usually find us at the Walmarts free parking not campin!

When we got back I took the tank to get refilled he could only get 2 gals in it. Those heaters run cheap and efficiently.

I have heard of people running the wave 8 now I think that thing could suck up some gas!

bob
From what I have read it is not the carbon monoxide you need to worry about , it is that these type of heaters deplete the oxygen in the area.

Still as long as you have proper venting I don't see that they pose much danger.

Edit: One other note.

I use a hydrometer and as you would expect the catalytic heater greatly increases the internal humidity.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #70

Missouri
oxygen

well I own 3 all have a oxygen cut off on them. after 9 hours yesterday I noticed no difference in the air!

bob