More comfortable Scamp cushions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
More comfortable Scamp cushions?

What change(s) have folks made to make the later model Scamp trailer cushions more comfortable to sleep on?

Several people have commented on how firm (somewhat uncomfortable) the cushions are in later model Scamp trailers. In order to sleep comfortably, some have added a foam mattress topper under their bedding.

I've been hoping that, with use, the cushions might soften up a bit. However, after a year of use (maybe 25 to 30 nights) our cushions are still pretty firm.

Do they eventually soften up? If so, how long does that usually take? Is there any practical way to accelerate the process a bit? (i.e. using a steamer of some sort ... or a heat gun? ... or sunshine? .... or ????)

Has anyone actually replaced the cushion/bed foam with a slightly lower density variety? If so, could you describe what you used and maybe where you got the replacement foam?

I have considered replacing the foam in most of the current cushions with a hybrid "foam sandwich" that would consist of several inches of higher density foam on the bottom (for support) and an inch or two of medium/lower density foam on top (for comfort). I've heard that some foam suppliers will actually glue together a couple of foam sheets to create that sort of hybrid foam sandwich. One could then maybe use the existing cushion foam to create a template and cut out new cushions from the larger foam sandwich sheet.

In a Scamp 13 trailer there is obviously limited space. If at all possible, I would really like to avoid carrying (and storing ) a separate mattress topper. If anyone has had actual experience and success at improving the sleeping comfort of the Scamp cushions, I would appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks in advance!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
What change(s) have folks made to make the later model Scamp trailer cushions more comfortable to sleep on?

Several people have commented on how firm (somewhat uncomfortable) the cushions are in later model Scamp trailers. In order to sleep comfortably, some have added a foam mattress topper under their bedding.

I've been hoping that, with use, the cushions might soften up a bit. However, after a year of use (maybe 25 to 30 nights) our cushions are still pretty firm.

Do they eventually soften up? If so, how long does that usually take? Is there any practical way to accelerate the process a bit? (i.e. using a steamer of some sort ... or a heat gun? ... or sunshine? .... or ????)

Has anyone actually replaced the cushion/bed foam with a slightly lower density variety? If so, could you describe what you used and maybe where you got the replacement foam?

I have considered replacing the foam in most of the current cushions with a hybrid "foam sandwich" that would consist of several inches of higher density foam on the bottom (for support) and an inch or two of medium/lower density foam on top (for comfort). I've heard that some foam suppliers will actually glue together a couple of foam sheets to create that sort of hybrid foam sandwich. One could then maybe use the existing cushion foam to create a template and cut out new cushions from the larger foam sandwich sheet.

In a Scamp 13 trailer there is obviously limited space. If at all possible, I would really like to avoid carrying (and storing ) a separate mattress topper. If anyone has had actual experience and success at improving the sleeping comfort of the Scamp cushions, I would appreciate hearing how you did it.

Thanks in advance!

Ray
On our 13D, we added this quilted memory foam topper which stows away easily when not needed and also has a custom fitted sheet which "makes" the bed automatically when deployed. Comfort and convenience!
Attached Thumbnails
b003.JPG   b004.JPG  

b006.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The "hybrid" sandwich is probably the best idea if you don't want to store a topper. The problem is if the foam density is low enough to be comfortable for sleeping, it may "bottom out" from being too soft for sitting - a much smaller area to spread the weight...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Ray, we use a 3" thick memory foam topper. The cushions by themselves, were much too hard for a good night's sleep for us. Three inches is probably overkill, but it sure is comfortable. We spend all of our time outside, so leaving the bed set up is not a problem so far. If we have an all day rain, it's not too much work to just roll it up and put it in the car, and use the dinette.

I'm curious to see if anyone found relief with a dual density foam in the cushions. Good topic!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ray,

We purchased new Scamp cushions 2 years ago, I assume they are similar to yours. We have slept on ours for 4-500 nights and they seem pretty much the same.

We have used two techniques to improve our dinette bed. Both worked great. We have used two Alps inflatable camping mattresses

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We learned this from Dave and Paula on this site. They purchased two mattresses that they stored under the cushions of their dinette seats. We purchased one short one and one long one. We stored ours behind the couch.

To store things like this behind the couch initially we removed just the couch hinge since we never used the bunks. Eventually we removed the backer board from the back of the cushion as well.

We also have used a 1.5 inch foam topper for the bed. This also stores behind the couch.

Both solutions worked well.

We make up our bed every day. It only takes about 5 minutes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Floyd - If I remember correctly, don't you also (like Tom) leave your bed down all of the time? Also, where did you get that quilted topper?

I should have mentioned that, like Norm, our current plan is to make the bed each night and switch back to the table mode in the morning. We have used the bunk beds mode on several trips with our grandkids. I think that would probably mean that storing a pad/topper behind the couch back would likely be difficult?

We do have a currently unused king-size 2.x inch memory foam topper that we may cut down and try for a while if the dual-density hybrid foam sandwich cushions prove to be too difficult to get or too expensive. (I am also considering making another cushion change in the trailer .... possibly converting the the single bottom couch cushion to a 3-cushion setup for better access to the under-bench storage areas and maybe another potential future mod.)

We are hoping to do some longer distance/duration trips. That is part of the concern with finding additional storage space for a separate mattress topper in either our Scamp13 or our 2014 Ford Escape tow vehicle.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Floyd - If I remember correctly, don't you also (like Tom) leave your bed down all of the time? Also, where did you get that quilted topper?

I should have mentioned that, like Norm, our current plan is to make the bed each night and switch back to the table mode in the morning. We have used the bunk beds mode on several trips with our grandkids. I think that would probably mean that storing a pad/topper behind the couch back would likely be difficult?

We do have a currently unused king-size 2.x inch memory foam topper that we may cut down and try for a while if the dual-density hybrid foam sandwich cushions prove to be too difficult to get or too expensive. (I am also considering making another cushion change in the trailer .... possibly converting the the single bottom couch cushion to a 3-cushion setup for better access to the under-bench storage areas and maybe another potential future mod.)

We are hoping to do some longer distance/duration trips. That is part of the concern with finding additional storage space for a separate mattress topper in either our Scamp13 or our 2014 Ford Escape tow vehicle.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Usually we keep the bed down when in transit like for the few days we take to get to Sebring.
While at a Scamp camp we put our table up usually every day, using one of two tabletops built for it.

I did just finish work on my sister's 13Scamp in which we actually removed the table and replaced it with an epoxy coated plywood bed base, then added a two stage memory foam mattress over the cushions.
This opened up the space under their bed, room to accommodate their two dogs. They plan to leave it as a bed fulltime taking the table along only occasionally when needed.

We bought the 2"quilted memory foam topper for Eggy-Sue from Camping World some years ago. it was then modified to fit and we made a fitted sheet for it. I think it was 2" before being quilted (or they just lied).
With the wraparound couch mod we have plenty of storage for bedding and I feel it is easier to convert as well...
Attached Thumbnails
b002.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp