More sleep space for us Bigfoots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Angry

I am 6 ft 7 in tall so naturally I can't sleep in my Burro the way you vertically challenged people can. Thought I had solved my sleeping space problems last year with a brilliant plan employing a sliding shelf. Though it worked fine, since now we were stretched out in there parallel to the length instead of perpendicular, gaining tons of shoulder space, other issues became the irritant. We took a big trip out west last year (5000+ miles in 15 days) and that's when these issues surfaced.
  1. Setting up the bed to retire for the night just got to be much more of a hassle than we have patience for.
  2. Sleeping was just fine, if you didn't mind the shifting cushion problem.
  3. Getting up in the night to use the porta potty was not so nice, since nearly all the floor space was now taken up by the bed, and it is a struggle for a bad back in any case.
  4. Getting out the door in the middle of the night requires elastic joints, since the porta potty was in the way.
It took me until a couple-three weeks ago to finally hit on a solution I expect addresses these issues. Unlike my previous solution, this one is not reversable. The new arrangement is now done. Made my new bed, now I gotta sleep in it.

What happened is I woke up one moring with the realization that all I really need is about another 6-7-8 inches more space so I could stretch out de feet, and that extra space was already available. It was hidden inside the closet we hardly ever use! Sleeping on an angle, now I can stretch out with my feet resting inside the closet area. We still got the closet, but just smaller, plus I added a drop-in storage basket with a cover. We simply place a small throw pillow over it.

HOOHAH!

Pictured here is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
C_A.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
excellent posting !!! thanks for sharing
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Clever modifcation, and nicely executed!
So the shorter person sleeps under the back window, and the taller person sleeps angled to the closet recess?
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
With plenty of room for our dog Ben to her right. You got it, Connie. I may add a small, attachable plate screwed down over the heater as well, for safety, though we would never leave the heater on overnight and in fact, really never use it. Ben, by the way, is better than a hot water bottle.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
Well, I sure would've never thought of that! Very clever.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote