More storage space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
More storage space

As a Scamp 13 owner I always want more storage space so I installed a hatch in the bottom of the cabinet next to the bed. We wanted to get rid of our dirty clothes bag and even with the tire well taking up a lot of the space we still have enough room to store 2 weeks of dirty laundry.

I also made a shelf over the sofa. Like a lot of scamp owners, with the bunk bed option, the top bunk turned into a storage shelf, and the bottom bunk became Sandi's bed (Sandi is our dog) and we couldn’t use it as a sofa. Now we have plenty of head room and we can use it as a sofa. If anyone is interested in making the hatch modification there are two horizontal structural members to avoid. On the bottom of the cabinet at 5 ½ inches and on top at 24 ½ inches, both measured from the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5157.JPG   IMG_5163.JPG  

IMG_5156.JPG   IMG_5161.JPG  

Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Nice mods for more storage. I did a floor mod for more storage in our 13' Scamp that you might be interested in. I'll try to post pictures of them, but if I am unable, click on our avatar and go to my albums of Scamp mods.
Nice work.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0421.JPG   IMG_0424.JPG  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

Registry
More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0425.JPG   IMG_0423.JPG  

Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

Illinois
David, nice mods, the wire shelf over the rear window will be my next project. How is the wheeling in Arizona? We just got back from 2 weeks in Utah with our Scamp and JKU Rubicon. Thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5066.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We, too, use the wheel well area for laundry. A simple solution is to drop a large net laundry bag down the well. We built custom shelves above the well and the bottom shelf lifts ups to access the wheel well. This photo shows the custom shelves. Of course, we have to remove the items from the bottom shelf in order to access the wheel well, but that's easy 'cause I keep the items in net bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 050.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #6

Registry
Gilda, we did the exact thing in our 13' Scamp.
Terry, the wheeling here is great, but this time of year it is HOT , they are predicting 120 degrees by Tuesday next week. We did Easter Jeep Safari again this year, and a couple weeks later we were fortunate enough to join in the Southern Utah Tour. Colorado's "All 4 Fun" in Leadville will be next.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0720.jpg   IMG_0003.jpg  

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Nice job on the shelf and I also used shelf bracket in my closet and made a pantry. Suggestion: on the threaded rod... one could use 1/4 rod then buy some chrome Toilet supply tube, Flare the ends if you want them real fancy, and cover the threads on the rods.
I did this to on threaded rods I used to hang canoe seats down from gunwals...makes a much more finished look.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #8

Illinois
Gilda, nice cabinet - We have the big bed option and our cabinet is only 10 3/4 inches wide so I opted for the door. We put our dirty clothes in grocery sacks and stuff it full - works great for us. Terry
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

Illinois
David, Nice rig, it is hot here in Illinois too but we are leaving for Lake Superior on Sunday, and hopefully nicer weather. Terry
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Illinois
Gerry, I was going to use heat shrink tubing, I have used it before and it works really well to cover the threads. I wanted to get it installed before our trip, and I only had red heat shrink and my wife didn't approve of red. Something to put on the list. Terry
Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #11

Registry
You could also use split wire loom to cover the threads. I have seen it in black, blue, yellow, and chrome.
Dave & Paula
P.S. My folks came from the "pictured rocks" Munising Mi. area. I love Lake Superior.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #12

Illinois
We keep our boat in the Cinder Pond marina in Marquette and go to Munising a lot. Grand Island is one of our favorite spots on the Lake. I kind of like the aluminum all-thread but will probably install heat shrink next winter, the wife, Tina, wants white. The Scamp is in storage until the fall and our next trip to Utah. We basically bought it to go to Utah and wanted something small enough to get over Monarch Pass and to replace our tent. The last time we camped in a tent, Natural Bridges National Park, Utah, it snowed 3 inches, the air mattress went flat and Tina said get a Scamp or I am staying home. Love the Scamp.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Where did you get the hatch? I like the looks of it. Do they come in different sizes?

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #14

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
Where did you get the hatch? I like the looks of it. Do they come in different sizes?
Bryan; Yes they make several different sizes, my hatch is 9 x 18 inches overall and the cut-out is 7 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches. DPI Marine - DPF918PW (PW=Polar White). On my 2015 Scamp there are two horizontal supports, one 5 1/2 inches above the floor and a second at 24 1/2 inches above the floor. $52 Amazon. I have the big bed option and 9x18 is the biggest hatch I could fit in the cabinet. Terry
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M View Post
As a Scamp 13 owner I always want more storage space so I installed a hatch in the bottom of the cabinet next to the bed. We wanted to get rid of our dirty clothes bag and even with the tire well taking up a lot of the space we still have enough room to store 2 weeks of dirty laundry.

I also made a shelf over the sofa. Like a lot of scamp owners, with the bunk bed option, the top bunk turned into a storage shelf, and the bottom bunk became Sandi's bed (Sandi is our dog) and we couldn’t use it as a sofa. Now we have plenty of head room and we can use it as a sofa. If anyone is interested in making the hatch modification there are two horizontal structural members to avoid. On the bottom of the cabinet at 5 ½ inches and on top at 24 ½ inches, both measured from the floor.

That is some nice work and good pics of the nice work! Thanks! An inspiration & gives me some things to consider (more to-dos for Paul, maybe!)

BESt
Kai
Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M View Post
Bryan; Yes they make several different sizes, my hatch is 9 x 18 inches overall and the cut-out is 7 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches. DPI Marine - DPF918PW (PW=Polar White). On my 2015 Scamp there are two horizontal supports, one 5 1/2 inches above the floor and a second at 24 1/2 inches above the floor. $52 Amazon. I have the big bed option and 9x18 is the biggest hatch I could fit in the cabinet. Terry
Thank You! Half the time finding something nice is half the battle!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote