More useful closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
I added some shelves to the wardrobe closet to make it more functional for us. We really didn't hang anything in it and we were using a portable drawer system that we put on the couch. This was a pretty easy mod that cost about $50.

I bought all the supplies at Lowes and just cut them to size. I shortened the vertical supports and then trimmed down the 16" deep wire shelves to the correct depth and length. I left them a little deep and bent the wires up so that the shelves would not slide around and so that they would be long enough if we decided to lower them in the closet (given the curved side of the Scamp).

I used machine screws and nuts to fasten the rails to the fiberglass. I covered them all using the plastic snap covers and bases.

I'm waiting for a new door from Scamp for the bottom door of the closet (additional $25). When this comes, I'll cut the bottom door of the closet higher (up to the horizontal wooden support in the front of the closet) to expose 1-2 more shelves. I want to leave the support across the front to help keep the closet rigid.

So far, we've used the trailer on 3 trips (on some very bumpy roads) and had nothing fall out of place on the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
2006_07_11_08_58_14_0008b.jpg   2006_07_11_08_58_24_0009b.jpg  

2006_07_11_08_59_29_0012b.jpg  
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The nice thing about using wire shelves vs solid ones is that they provide ventilation within the cabinet. There is always a dampness buildup when living in such a small space.

Yacht interiors usually address this with vent holes in cabinet sides and doors. It is just a smart way to go.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I added some shelves to the wardrobe closet to make it more functional for us.
I just finished a similar design while at Bolerama last weekend. Used a chain to support the back of the shelves and cut narrower 12" shelves bending the upright lips forward for support and a space at the front for brooms and poles etc. Created a latch key for the cutlery drawer with an excess piece of the wire shelving and a cable tie. All done without drilling holes in the FG. I will post pictures in our Boler American thread later.

I do like the idea of the shelve brackets, I can mod my installation to install them to the the wood is that strengthens the door opening and still not drill the FG. Thanks for the idea!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote