Mounting an Outside Shelf - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Mounting an Outside Shelf

Well, I don't have my 2016 Scamp yet, but I'm already making mods (in my head). I'm real excited to move up from a 4 x 8' teardrop trailer!

I'd like to mount a small outside shelf beside the trailer door for a two-burner propane stove. The closet is on the inside so it shouldn't matter if I have to use bolts through the wall. What is the best method for mounting brackets to a fiberglass sidewall? The shelf will probably hold 10-12 pounds, max. And does anyone have a source for stainless steel bracket sets? I've seen auxiliary shelves on many teardrop trailers but I never looked closely at the mounting hardware.

Peg

Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have to ask why you want to do that?
If the propane stove is on the picnic table, you have room for utensils, ingredients, spices, cutting board, etc.
And, my outdoor kitchen also has the propane BBQ and a stainless container for washing up. Oh, and a five-gallon water container.
And, the view is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg  

Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a table that I mount to the outside.

I had my welder add a 1" interior square tubing (receiver) to the frame. Then had him make a 1" exterior bar that bends upward with a plate on it which fits into the receiver. He made a bracket that fits over the plate which I added to the underside of a table I made out of 3/4" plywood and trimmed with aluminum. I store the table and bar inside my Scamp under the bed while in transit.
Attached Thumbnails
2001-11-16 Morro Bay SP site #70 Morro Bay, CA 3.jpg  
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
There are several RV outside grills that are designed for hanging on the outside and come with the necessary hardware. I would use a piece of 3/4 plywood on the inside of the closet to distribute the weight, full width of the closet and about the same height.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll have to say I'm with Glenn on this one. I like having the kitchen away from the trailer, so we use a separate, freestanding awning for our outdoor kitchen. In the photo below, we located the kitchen in a cooler, shady corner of the camp, rather than on the asphalt parking pad. It also keeps cooking odors and varmints away from our bedroom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	89499

I know some people do like to set up under an attached awning. But even if so, I don't think I would personally want to put the stove so close to the trailer, nor to put holes in the shell. I'd rather set up on a folding, freestanding table. Many tent trailers do it the way you're describing because there is a quick-connect propane fitting available on the side of the trailer.

By the way, congratulations on your new Scamp-to-come! You must be so excited! When's it due to hatch?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sounds like you want a stove like the one on my pop-up, that mounts on the outside wall. I'm not saying it can't be done.. because it can, but these fiberglass trailers are a little tricky structurally speaking. It's a fine balance between lightweight and structurally strong.

When you get your trailer, you will see that there are strategically placed wooden supports integrated into the fiberglass. There is one for the rear table and spare tire, another for the front bunk if you have one. These are "glassed in" (covered with fiberglass) during the manufacturing, and covered with insulation and rat fur. There are smaller pieces in the counters, closets, etc. to add some support to those structures.

You would be introducing may unknowns by adding an outside shelf. Rivet failure or cracking would become more likely.

IMHO, its best to just use a small, freestanding folding table (or the campsite's picnic table if present).
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I couldn't find pictures of the outside table receiver and brace so I just went outside and took a couple.

The first one shows the receiver and bracket the welder added to the frame.

The second picture shows the brace in the receiver.

The third picture shows the brace which has the plate on it.

I forgot to get the table out to show you the bracket on the underside of the table. Any way the table just slide onto the brace plate.

Oh, and I got this idea years ago from some Teardrops hat came to town. At dinner time out came a rod they shoved under the trailer and then a table on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside table receiver 1.jpg   Outside table receiver 2.jpg  

109_8274.jpg  
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

North Carolina
Just had a thought.. based on Joy's mod...
How about having Scamp add the receiver hitch on the back ($95) and then build a table mount for it? The table would be at the back instead of the side, but it would not compromise the fiberglass body.

(Be sure to have enough clearance to the spare tire, cover and trailer body)

EDIT: Just had another thought. This would likely weight quite a bit more than a folding (TV) tray/table. I would assume you would stow it while traveling so sway is no issue, but why carry more weight than you need?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
I like the idea Peg and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I may be on the short list of folks that don't mind putting a hole or two in the shell . A friend of mine added one to the side of his Bounder. He did have a quick disconnect LP fitting. He had an aluminum C track on the side and two legs angled to bottom mounts, kind of like an awning leg setup. The table was 1/8th" diamond plate aluminum. Worked very well, no odors inside and he could grill in the rain under the awning . None of us used any type of free standing covers back then. A lot of other good ideas have been offered here and I'm sure more to come. You may want to use it for a season before you make any big mods though, but bottom line is it's yours, change it to fit what works for you.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
... but bottom line is it's yours, change it to fit what works for you.
With the emphasis on what WORKS... some modifications don't.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #11

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I will camp for a season while pondering the table - good advice. Nice idea about the receiver hitch, which I already ordered. I'm also thinking about using the space in front of the tow bar, with an LP disconnect and a small GRILL....hmm.

The trailer is due late April. Chilly camping in Minnesota then, but I'll have a furnace!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #12

Name: Larry H
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hi,

I have considered an outside table too.
Here is hardware to mount o the side of the rig.
You would have to rig up a stout leg?

Larry H

Table Wall Mount

AP Products Table Support - Supports & Brackets - Table - Hardware
Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #13

Name: Roselyn
Trailer: Casita 16 SD
Texas
This link
Outdoor Table Fits Between Wheel Well And Tire On Casita
goes to an article on DIY RV site. It's a table that mounts on the tire. Don't know if it would be good to use for cooking--I also am leery of using heat too close to our trailer--but it looks pretty easy to make and use. No invasion of fiberglass. I think I arrived at the link through a post on FRV from kconley. The original message is here: Wheel Well Table
Roselyn
Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
A number of our group use this table. I folds into a 4 by 4 by 28 rectangle with it's own carrying case.

Coleman - Compact Folding Table | Outdoor Folding Table | Coleman - Outdoor Compact Table