Mounting single propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1979 Burro 13ft
Arkansas
Mounting single propane tank

I need to mount a single propane tank just behind the trailer hitch of my 79 Burro 13. I cut a piece of 3/4 ply to cover the metal frame triangle but can't locate any mounting devices. I ordered 2 tank mount straps from Scamp but to my surprise they're not long enough to reach down to the surface the tank is sitting on. I've tried using the search function at this site but no luck. I'd rather work with wood but may have to have someone do some welding for me. Any suggestions
davb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Finding single tank mounts is tough. Two ways I have recently used to secure tanks are:

1. A angle iron square base the same size as the tank base and a chain.=, hook and turnbuckle on each side to hold the tank down

2. I also mounted one on a pop-up tent trailer by, again, boxing in the base with angle and then running a long piece of 5/16 all thread through the angle, through the existing holes in the tank base, and out the other side, putting nuts and acorn covers on each end.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The PO of my Scamp had someone make/weld up a custom holder for the single tank. I don't particularly like the system & I actually have taken to adding extra strapping to it - a bit of a pain to take the tank on and off with the system I have, so I will not post a pic of it.

The one in the photo below would be the type of holder or similar style if I was installing or have one made up starting from scratch.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Can you cut a circle out of the plywood for the tank base to sit in? Would your straps be long enough then?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mine hold down straps from Scamp were also a bit short. My solution was to install SS bolts and lock washers in the tongue ends. This did two things, one it made the straps fit better, two it made it easier for me to remove the tank for refilling. Most places require the propane cylinder removed from the trailer before filling. Now I carry a ratchet with right size deep socket, and an batter powered screwdriver fitted with a 3/8" drive to use the deep socket. I also put some thread lock on the nuts that stay attached to the strap. The thread lock doesn't always hold so I carry an open end wrench to fit the head of bolts.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davb View Post
I ordered 2 tank mount straps from Scamp but to my surprise they're not long enough to reach down to the surface the tank is sitting on. . Any suggestions
I believe Scamp uses either thread rod or long bolts to fasten the holders. To hold the tank itself you can use two pieces of angle iron fastened to the frame, welded is best. You space the two to match the foot print of the tank stand. Then drill a hole for a mounting strap on each. Wood is not a long term solution. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I believe Scamp uses either thread rod or long bolts to fasten the holders. To hold the tank itself you can use two pieces of angle iron fastened to the frame, welded is best. You space the two to match the foot print of the tank stand. Then drill a hole for a mounting strap on each. Wood is not a long term solution. Raz

Raz, 13' Scamp single tank.... Two steel formed straps are used. The tongue has several pieces of angle iron welded to the bottom of the tongue. Four tabs are welded to the top of two the angle irons. Holes are drilled into the angle irons to accept bolts through the steel straps. The other ends are hooked and fit through the holes in the protective piece around the propane cylinder valve. The steel springs enough to be able to tighten it down with a 2 1/2" to 3" bolt. There's also enough room to add a nut between the strap and tongue angle iron, thus capturing the bolt in the strap. No threaded rods are used. Twin tanks are a different matter.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Raz, 13' Scamp single tank.... Two steel formed straps are used. The tongue has several pieces of angle iron welded to the bottom of the tongue. Four tabs are welded to the top of two the angle irons. Holes are drilled into the angle irons to accept bolts through the steel straps. The other ends are hooked and fit through the holes in the protective piece around the propane cylinder valve. The steel springs enough to be able to tighten it down with a 2 1/2" to 3" bolt. There's also enough room to add a nut between the strap and tongue angle iron, thus capturing the bolt in the strap. No threaded rods are used. Twin tanks are a different matter.
Thanks Byron. I remember seeing a picture with a short strap and the bolt but couldn't find it. Mine is similar but the straps are a little longer. I double nut to keep things tight.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp tank strap:
LP Gas : LP Tank Strap

$5 each. Shipping on the other hand....
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I investigated converting my dual to a single tank mount quite a bit as I've never gone through an entire tank in even month long trips. I haven't changed anything yet, but found this is what tent trailers use.
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane tank hold down.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	75530
On ebay... Set of 2 RV camper 20 lbs Propane Tank Holders w Wing Nuts Locking Washers | eBay

The mount that Carol posted above is much sturdier and better built, but it's runs about $100.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My old pop-up just has two pieces of angle welded across the tongue, the tank sets on them, and a bolt through each angle and through the tank base. I just went out and looked a 5 different 20 lb tanks I have and they all have slotted holes in the base. Single tank mounts are a little hard to find, but this has been discussed previously and an online search did turn up one nice mount but I can't remember where I found it. Search results may vary depending on if you call it a tank or by it's correct name "cylinder".
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
My old pop-up just has two pieces of angle welded across the tongue, the tank sets on them, and a bolt through each angle and through the tank base. I just went out and looked a 5 different 20 lb tanks I have and they all have slotted holes in the base.
This is what my Compact Jr. frame has.
Here is a picture of the tank on the tongue of the frame with those holes lined up, but without bolts in them.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1518.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frederick; what do you think about adding two more pieces of angle running at right angles to the existing ones for a little more support or stability. Since the tank was a loose fit between the angle iron I had to use a few washers for spacers, not the easiest place to get them in. Tweety's has a bracket with the loop piece for about $22.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Frederick; what do you think about adding two more pieces of angle running at right angles to the existing ones for a little more support or stability. Since the tank was a loose fit between the angle iron I had to use a few washers for spacers, not the easiest place to get them in.
Yeah, I did the washer thing at first too. It was just a preliminary test fit.
I'm still working on the fiberglass body; getting it ready for the paint booth. Once the painting has been done I'll solve this issue when I assemble all of the pieces.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Single Propane tank mounting

Here is a picture of my single tank mounting. It's on the front of a 1975 ECO 13ft, which is for sale.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0468.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When I made the bottom LP tank tie down I made one of the two screws permanent, like a pin, and locked it in place with a lock nut. After sliding the tank base over that one, I then put the second one in and reach under the tank to tighten a nut on the cap screw.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1979 Burro 13ft
Arkansas
Propane mount

Thanks to all. Great response. I ordered the bracket that Carol referred to and located a local welder with great reputation.
davb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane