Mudflaps! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
I was just made aware of the Enkay mud flaps - you can see them at mudflaps.com - man do those look nice, but they aren't cheap. Perhaps fabricating a homemade one would make a cool project that I might tackle this summer - has anyone ever made a removable mud flap unit like this? Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think mudflaps would be better than some funky rubberized coating smeared all over the front of the trailer. But, that's just me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Enkay flaps are GREAT!!!!! I've never used them, but plan on buying them when I finally get my trailer. I've known several people who've used them with great satisfaction. Nice thing is that they are easily removed when not pulling the trailer.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have not made my bracket yet, but I need to do this for the brush-type flaps which I bought last year. The Enkay design appears to be well constructed, but I have two concerns with it for my use:
  1. the system mounts to a 2" drawbar (standard for Class 3 and higher); I have a Class 2 hitch and thus a 1.25" drawbar
  2. the whole system looks hefty (e.g. 3/4" solid steel rods the width of the flaps); I plan to use hollow aluminum extrusions
Even if their system was lighter and available in my size, I would need to check if I have the required length of exposed drawbar available for mounting, since I keep the ball as close to the van as possible.

Since there is some interest in this area, I'll try to remember to post my setup when I finally get it together.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
I made my own mud flaps, and permantly attached them to the inside of the hitch.On my GMC there is a 2" gap between the hitch and the spare tire. Keeps all the road debris off the TT and my boat.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I made my own mud flaps, and permantly attached them to the inside of the hitch.On my GMC there is a 2" gap between the hitch and the spare tire. Keeps all the road debris off the TT and my boat.

Pictures?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I`d made up a set of flaps for my `90 GMC for when we used to tow my son`s car around on a trailer.....they are in two pieces that slide into the 2" hitch laterally from each side and latch together. I took some pics, but for some reason am having a problem putting them in a folder out of the camera so I can post them....oh well, maybe later....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna,

I don't know how to give you a picture, but here's a link: http://www.mudflaps.com/ Oops! I just realized you meant a picture of David's setup. Sorry.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #9

Still trying to send pics of my homebrew flaps.......trailer side view of the 2 halves connected.....Benny
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0803.JPG  
Old 02-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #10

truck side view.....showing the metal structure on the unseen backside...the only thing that holds the 2 halves together is a half of a lock hasp and a hairpin or presto clip....also made a couple different GMC emblems, either of which, to put over the hasp before the clip does on, but can`t locate them right now.....takes about 10 secs to put the flaps on or remove......the rubber is 1/4" or so reclaimed rubber,(old tires).......Benny
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0805.JPG  
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I have the Rock Tamers by Enkay and love them. On smaller vehicles they might be too wide since they can only adjust down to 70 inchs of width I believe. Installation calls for the mudflaps to line up with the outside sidewall of the rear tires.

I leave mine attached to the ball mount and when I store my Casita I just slide the whole unit out as one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock_Tamer_Installed_with_Trailer.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I tow with a small 96' Toyota Tacoma truck. There were factory brackets for mud flaps behind each rear wheel. I bought oversized flaps and cut them to just above road level and about twice as wide as each tire. Total cost for me was $30 and I leave them in place. They work great and are lightweight. The factory vanity flaps were really only for looks and maybe a small amount of mud but certainly would never have worked to keep rocks from hitting my trailer.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
i love my rocktamers. Because they are mounted to the reciever and are adjustable you can take it form one tow to another in a snap with that said use a lock on your reciever
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have some mud flaps similar to what you are speaking of that slip over the draw bar. Mine were called Roadwings and made by a fellow in Redmond, Oregon. He sold out to someone else and they are distributing the mud flaps through Camping World.

When I purchased mine the fellow made 3 different sizes depending upon the width of the tow vehicle. Campng World just carries the largest size and at a very large price. I only paid $75.00, shipping included, for mine.

When I bought my trailer I thought mud flaps would be a good idea. I subsequently found that my Jeep Cherokee doesn't throw as much stuff onto the Scamp as I thought it might. I can also feel wind drag when the mud flaps are on, so I haven't used them for a long time. I've found them annoying going in and out of driveways, they drag even though I've shorten them.

However, the mud flaps will be used this summer when I go to Alaska. Might be handy on the Alaskan Highways. I think I'll be glad I have them.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
My F-150 came from the factory with mud guards; molded plastic pieces behind each rear wheel.

When I towed my first Casita, I broke the LF clearance light twice and put a hole in the grey water drain line from rocks.

I went to Checker and bought rubber mud flaps for about $10. I attached them to the mud guards and they hang to within 2" of the road.

That totally cured the problem with rocks.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I find that the factory mudguards on my Toyota Sienna work well for the intended purpose, which is to protect the van; not just for looks. A line from where the tire pulls away from the road past the bottom edge of the guard just misses the rear bodywork - but then heads straight for the lower front panel of a trailer. Thus, assembling the add-on protection is on my to-do list.

In the mean time, the Boler gelcoat is getting a few more chips, and the aluminum panel on the front of the tent trailer we towed to the Northwest Territories (including 300 km of gravel) looked like someone had opened fire on it with a BB machine gun...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote