Muffin fans - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Name: Jorah
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Muffin fans

As I progress in modding and repairing (leaks!) our 1996 Casita Sprit. I'm doing away with the original noise box...I mean, range hood. Among other things I'm installing an Endura range vent. I've modified the louvered (not original type) Ventline range vent, that was on the exterior, to be my interior piece. It's flange fits in the flange of the Endura. It just so happens that three-3" muffin/computer fans fit "just right" in the Ventline louvered vent.

So my question is...do I NEED three fans? Or will two do fine? Two would; be cheaper, use less power, and allow my to make an internal lever for propping open the exterior vent flap. But, if I NEED three? I'll do three.
Any advice/experience?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Check out Little House Customs. Larry has a range hood removal kit. About half way down the page. See the note about the fan.
Eddie
Little House Customs

Also check out this thread.
Finally FINISHED the stove vent project...

Old 03-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Why would you need any more than 1 fan? Just put it on a rotary switch so you can control the speed if you need more air flow.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariph creek View Post
As I progress in modding and repairing (leaks!) our 1996 Casita Sprit. I'm doing away with the original noise box...I mean, range hood. Among other things I'm installing an Endura range vent. I've modified the louvered (not original type) Ventline range vent, that was on the exterior, to be my interior piece. It's flange fits in the flange of the Endura. It just so happens that three-3" muffin/computer fans fit "just right" in the Ventline louvered vent.

So my question is...do I NEED three fans? Or will two do fine? Two would; be cheaper, use less power, and allow my to make an internal lever for propping open the exterior vent flap. But, if I NEED three? I'll do three.
Any advice/experience?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Washington
Eddie Longest, I've seen the LHC setup. I was actually going to order from them. But, my wife thought we'd decided on the Endura. She went ahead and added to our Maxxfan order. Now that we've got it. I'm glad she did, it's a much nicer vent.
I know the Maxxfan could work for this. However, the muffin fans would be such a cheap and easy addition. I'd just as soon vent the range right at the source.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Washington
Rick Mooyman, every range vent "muffin fan mod" I've seen, uses two or three. Usually it seems like 4" fans. I'm just looking at 3" for my project. I would think two would provide adequate airflow. Just thought I'd ask those more experienced?

I'm intrigued by the prospect of a rotary switch. Never considered that they might be available for a 12 volt system. I will look into this.
Thanks!