My 1975 Trillium - Time to bring her back to life! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Rachelle
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
My 1975 Trillium - Time to bring her back to life!

Hi Everyone! My name is Rachelle. I just found this FBRV site and have never blogged about anything in my life! So I'm a complete newbie to not only RVing and Fibreglass but to forums !

I was given my 1975 Trillium in late 2009 by my father, a few months before he passed away. I had used it prior to that time for my Skydiving adventures once my ex-husband decided to end our marriage. So this baby girl is all mine! I also have 2 wonderful children and a new man, Troy who have done some camping with me and the Trillium.

I've done some updates since I took it my home (Halifax, NS) in late August of 2010, (I will post pictures once I figure this all out). In 2010, new tires,. bought towing mirrors just enough to bring her from New-Brunswick to Nova Scotia safely. In 2011, she got a new front centre jack (Old side one just rusted away), new chains, new triangle tung box, all new water ins and outs and exterior electrical outlets, new outdoor porch light, new break lights and side lights. we also installed a new awning and rail and a rear bike rack insert…. Last year In 2012 she received new sink faucet and new sink plumbing. Gosh I think that is it….haha!

This year (Last week actually) she didn't pass inspection due to a frame crack and rust…. So I guess this is where I am at with all of this… I just brought her to a friends house yesterday and we are going to take a look at it to figure out our next step. I think the frame will need to be pulled out and given a complete overhaul over the winter. She may not be ready for my vacation next week and will have to resort to tenting.

I will post a quick picture of the day took her to her new home. I know there are issues with the hook up and such that have been since rectified…

I'm hopping with the wealth of knowledge I'm seeing on this awesome FBRV Website that I will have some insight from those of you who are willing to share their experiences with a newbie and her new inherited/sentimental Trillium. Restoration is new to me and I would love all the help I can get! I will post pictures as I go...
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Welcome!
Happy you found us
I too have the same year Trillium as you and love it dearly.
Good luck with your frame repairs, hope it all goes smoothly.
Cheers!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, yes we'd love to see pictures.
Yes, the frames on the Trillium can be a weak spot but just think once you have that all fixed, with all the other work you have done it will be so spiffy!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #4

Name: Rachelle
Nova Scotia
Here is me and my newly acquired 1975 Trillium on my maiden voyage home to Halifax! Yup she's in rough shape. Duct tape and all, to keep the door closed. My dad had her for about 7 years and didn't do much with her. The previous owner did an inside restoration but the outside and frame now is desperate need of some help.

My dad had unfortunately side swiped the under the door with the snow blade the winter before and he attempted some fixing… the door was also knocked off it original hinges during the process (Which I didn't mention early; hinges were also replaced in 2011) I know there is work to be done on the outside first.

So I'm starting with the frame and having it looked at tonight! Fiberglass also need some repair…. So I would love for everyone to give me some tips on where to start…

Here is my first of many pictures I will put up! I'm a photographer so I just got to find my "Trillium" Pictures and organize on here! HAHA!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3188.jpg  
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hi Rachelle
Welcome. Trilliums are such great trailers.
I am the original purchaser and present owner of a 1975 Trillium.
FYI
Trouble areas:

Window leaks...remove, replace the plywood frames, reinstall with proper sealant
Belly band leaks...remove belly band , fiberglass, sand, paint (looks like this has already been done.
Door hinges...probably need replacing..(looks like an ordinary hing has been used on the top of your door)
Frame breaks near the bend at front where the bolt goes through the frame...weld plates on bottom and sides of this area. You should replace all the body to frame bolts. Two under each dinette seat and two at front where the frame likes to break.

Have fun and show us pictures!

Francis
Francis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Rachelle and welcome to the forum. Looks like Francis has covered all the problem areas. I too think maybe the belly band has been done? I had to do the hinges even though my Trillium is a "new" one. This might help.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-47624.html

The other thing to look at is the axle. If it's original then it could need replacing and if so do consider adding brakes.

Finally, the forum has a search feature that will give you endless hours of reading. Find the search button just above the posts. Clicking the drop down menu will produce two search banks. Use the lower one (google search). It works better. Have fun, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Congratulation. I also own a Trillium, 1300, 1980 with all of the works done by my hands. Just take a look at my photos of last week from camping trip at Niagara Fall, Ontario Canada. I love the Trillium. Mine has frame total rework, including re-inforcement, re-paint...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG121.jpg   IMG124.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

Name: Vivi Kaye
North Carolina
We bought a 1976 Trillium and we are finding it impossible to get exact replacement parts. The windows leaked so the inside foam lining had mold, so we tore it all out. Rather than try to replace that stuff (which was very hard to remove, by the way), we ended up using fiberglass based body filler to smooth out the fiberglass walls on the inside. Then we "textured" the walls with paint with sawdust in it to cover the texture of the fiberglass sheeting. Has anyone else had issues with part replacement and having to replace the wall foam?
Vivi Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium