My 1980 Scamp Modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
My 1980 Scamp Modifications

OK guys, I am ready to show the class what I have done. My Wife and I are on the road 7 months a year working with a Traveling Show. For the past many years we have been living in an Astro Van. A couple of years ago we decided to get a Scamp. We set a $5000 budget and were ready to travel anywhere to get one. With not much luck all of a sudden one came up in our town for $2500 and I jumped on it. It was later discovered to be pretty much a MESS, but I was already into it so I kept going. The floor and frame were rotted front and back. I fixed all of that, installed an AC in the space below the closet, took out the 18 x 24 hatch and put in an 18 x 18 vent with fan. Water tank, battery and charger fridge, etc. I put a Honda E2000i generator on the front between the propane tank and the body. I had torn a cedar closet out of my house years ago and saved the cedar and did the floors etc. with that. I made a drawer under the stove. I replaced all of the rivets with SS hardware and special rubber backed washers. It was quite a project, but it came out pretty good. Thanks to all on this forum who gave me advice. Now....for the best part. Sometimes where we are set up we are on a parking lot with either no bathroom, or a good walk to a Port O Let. I wanted a toilet for my wife and we decided that we did not want to have to do the switch between a bed and a dinette every day but we wanted a place to sit, relax, read, etc. Here is what I did. I removed the front couch, built a dinette and put a Scamp REAL Flush Toilet under the left side seat. It I also raised the right side seat a little so the window does not seem so high. OK so the left seat is a little high, it is the price we will have to pay for the TOILET! We can live with it. Here are some pics. I still have some trim work to do, and put the bed back in, and the front cushions, but ya'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3870.jpg   DSCF3905.jpg  

DSCF3910.jpg   DSCF3915.jpg  

DSCF3920.jpg   DSCF3924.jpg  

DSCF3936.jpg   DSCF3952.jpg  

DSCF3954.jpg   DSCF3955.jpg  

Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Very nice Danny and welcome to the forum. What traveling show are you involved with?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Nice, I like what you did to not only save it but to make it yours and to fit your needs.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Sweet. Thanks for sharing. I just glasses the plywood for my new dance floor tonight after spending the day sewing new upholstery for the cushions. What a great way to spend time!

Sent from my XT1030 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Nice work Danny, and thanks for sharing your info. and pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks guys! It was a Fun Chore. Papa=T, I am a Wall of Death Rider in one of only 3 remaining, out of almost 100 in the Heyday of the 1950's, Shows left. We are doing our part to keep a little piece of the dying Magic of America alive!
Attached Thumbnails
1scoutBally.jpg   10649603_10205189426797548_4284173583365926456_n.jpg  

Old 03-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
trailer restoration

Good job Dan. Your an industrious fellow. I hope the trailer gives you many years of service and pleasure.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

Danny, I would LOVE to see pics and some step by step of a/c you put in. It's the last thing on my list to set my camper up in the lap of luxs. ��
JHayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHayter View Post
Danny, I would LOVE to see pics and some step by step of a/c you put in. It's the last thing on my list to set my camper up in the lap of luxs. ��
JHater, I did not take pics while I was installing it. I put two vents on the outside and used that 1/2" foam insulating board from Home Depot ad aluminum c=duct tape to section it off into intake and exhaust sides. Then I put a paint tray under it with a drain line. I got the info from a post here. I would have to take my vents off to photo it, but I will look for the thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-43022.html

Tags
scamp