My 1981 Burro rehab - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Inspired by Bob H's earlier post, I put this show together. Here's a link:

Bob, don't have a Mac but I found I had "Windows Movie Maker" on my PC so gave it a try. Great fun.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Wow! What an incredible transformation. You made that trailer absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Inspired by Bob H's earlier post, I put this show together. Here's a link:

Bob, don't have a Mac but I found I had "Windows Movie Maker" on my PC so gave it a try. Great fun.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
Very nice, I am rebuilding a 72 Trail Mite which need about 3/4 of the work you did on yours. Well it probably needs as much but I am going to just do 3/4 of it. What I am running into is the cost. The trailer itself was cheap but all the things like the windows etc. are running me a small fortune. I can't find a paint job for less than $600. ( they had painted it with spray cans). The floor and most other stuff I can do myself but it seems every time I hit the Home Depot it is $200 ( glue, stainless steel screws, plumbing, electreical ,etc. the list is never ending and it leaves me enough to do another trailer). I look at garage sales for what I can like the wood flooring but I just can't find that much of the stuff I need so I have to search on the Internet which has it all but very $$$. I got some verrrrrrrry good ideas from the pictures. I was very impressed with the work you have done and thanks for sharing. Ken
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
great job!!! I love windows movie maker.. havent used it in a long time tho.... even tho i have DSL any movie clips or slide shows are very slow.. grrrrrrrrr
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thanks Myron! I enjoyed that very much!

Gave me a chance to see what my 13 would have looked like if I had been as handy as you!

I sure miss my nice wooden silverware drawer in my 13 tho.. how soon can you make me one?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #6

New Mexico
Registry
Ken, many of the things were not done until I found the cheapest sources. Takes digging, but options are out there waiting to be found. Actually, that for me was a big part of the fun; beating the market.

After Hehr informed me they wanted well over $700 for a large front window (are they nuts?) I got one for $...uh, I think it was $75 plus shipping, that was a close enough size to make it work. I didn't replace a window until, scouring ebay, I found my price. Must admit, I did get very very lucky. As you saw, though, it took plenty of extra work. The two side windows cost me um...$20 apiece I think, plus shipping, from a salvage guy on ebay! Ebay been berry good to me.

Nearby is a great county dump. I am always scrounging around there for wood and stuff. I got the sub floor, and oak flooring there, all free. Amazing what people (contractors) throw away. I found the carpeting I used for the ceiling at curbside, after a new installation at a local McMansion.

Golly Gina, maybe I should move up from plastic spoons.

Got 6 inches of new snow yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Bsnow3_17a.gif  
Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Wow, great job! Where on earth do you get your energy? I said to myself " oh my god he's sewing the cushion covers himself TOO???!!!" I love your drawer under the table idea, how did that attatch? Is your table wood? Mine is the molded fiberglass kind, and i'd like to find a way to do that to mine. I'm still doing battle with my seams and need to win before i can move on to next task. What product did you buff/clean/wax? the outside with? I couldnt see in the picture. Thanks
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #8

New Mexico
Registry
Yah, Cindy, and I really enjoyed learning how to make piping.

I thought my egg would need a paint job, it looked so bad. When I heard the cost I quickly put that plan away and began giving alternatives more thought. Turns out the green tree slime on the roof came off easy but the egg was badly oxidized. Boats are made of fiberglass, how do those guys keep them up? I finally settled on a product called Vertglas. Their kit, though not cheap, worked for me. Here's a link to where I bought the stuff.

http://www.lovettmarine.com/files/vertglas.asp

I should mention a lot of these rehab topics have already been well addressed by forum members and using the search tool is a good way to find very detailed answers.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Turns out the green tree slime on the roof came off easy but the egg was badly oxidized. Boats are made of fiberglass, how do those guys keep them up?
My boat (a Montgomery 15) has always been stored either covered with a tarp or in the garage, so it doesn't have much oxidation, but the red trim tends to oxidize anyway. There are lots of marine products to spiff up fiberglass. I can't remember the name of the one I used, though it did a great job and restored the color. It wasn't cheap- I used most of a bottle that cost about $16 on about 15 square feet of trim. It was rub on, wipe off, little bit of polishing but not much. The gel coat is pretty thick on that boat, too.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Thanks Myron!

It was inspiring and fun to watch your video. I really like the cabinets, table and flooring. I can only imagine how rewarding it is to now enjoy the new windows and clean interior. Nice job! Thanks for sharing.
Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Very cool! Maybe when we pick up our new Uhaul, we can do something like this documentation. We kept pix of our Burro rehab, but not so many.

Two more weeks!

CindyL
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Very nicely done Myron.

Gary
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Great Job Myron!
I give it 2 Thumbs up!
You had a much harder road to run to recover that Burro than I did with my Scamp. Your slideshow really does a great job in showing the effort & FUN involved in making these little trailers SHINE. Great Job!

ConwayBob
Old 03-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
Great video Myron.

Would you like to do ours next?

Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
WOW!!!!! The most extensive rehab I have seen on one of these trailers. We are rehabing a Boler right now. Didnt have to redo the floor like you did but we had to have a new trailer frame built. Im hoping mine looks as nice as yours does when finished. My mother and I are going to make new cusions this June. Wish us luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl Libby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro