My 76 Boler Rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #15

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
So the bed cutting went well. Below are some of the in progress pics. As noted above, it is a foam mattress from IKEA. I took off the cover, measured, measured again, then cut it with my wife's bread knife.. I am sure she was really impressed... She ended up helping out, so I couldn't have offended her that much. It worked pretty easy, but you have to be very careful not to cut on an angle.

The corners were the hardest part. I marked out where the corners started on the foam (using the cushion template I found here: Cushion Template) Then using a cardboard box, I went out to the boler and cut until the corner fit right. I just kept cutting in small increments. I am sure there is a better way, but this way worked. Then I used the template to trace the corner on the foam. More cutting ensued and maybe a few too many beers, as noted by my foam beard

Also not pictured, but I did end up cutting all the different pieces. I just was testing to make sure all the foam would fit in place.

I also decided that I was going to go camping before the winter set in and booked a few nights at Sharbot Lake provincial park. That gives me the motivation to get things done. Tonight I put the cushions in the original cover in the Boler, just so we can use it this month. I don't plan on using the dinette unless it is raining (and the weather forecast looks good!) Later I will recover them in something nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160911_1950393.jpg   IMG_20160911_2004164.jpg  

IMG_20160911_2035084.jpg   IMG_20160911_2037514.jpg  

IMG_20160911_2046154.jpg   IMG_20160911_2126198.jpg  

IMG_20160912_2106177.jpg  

Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #16

Ontario
Last night I tested two things. 1- waterproofness. I sat with a hose and sprayed down the trailer (also got some soap out, but it didn't seem to get much cleaner ) My wife stayed inside and we found 1 rivet that was leaking. I put some silicone on it for now and will be drilling it out at a later date. It was one of the rivets holding the upper cabinet. Not sure if I want to replace with rivets or screws just yet.

2 - Propane! I put a new regulator (pics below of old vs. new), new pigtail, checked all the lines and then turned on the gas. All looked good and I had my wife there to smell for leaks (as I don't have a sense of smell). I then turned on the stove, after about 10 seconds I could hear gas (or air) coming out and after 20 the burner lit. Very exciting!!
I then moved to the furnace. Put it on pilot, held it down for 30 seconds and tried to ignite.. nothing... I waited 30 more second and I got flame!!! Held the pilot for about a minute, let go and I now have a working furnace! This will make the wife happy as she is cold even when it is 25 degrees C outside.

Finally I moved to the fridge. turned it on, lit my bbq lighter and boom, working fridge as well!
Attached Thumbnails
old reg.jpg   new reg.jpg  

Old 09-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercs View Post
Last night I tested two things. 1- waterproofness. I sat with a hose and sprayed down the trailer (also got some soap out, but it didn't seem to get much cleaner ) My wife stayed inside and we found 1 rivet that was leaking. I put some silicone on it for now and will be drilling it out at a later date. It was one of the rivets holding the upper cabinet. Not sure if I want to replace with rivets or screws just yet.

I would suggest not using silicone on your fiberglass. It's difficult to remove, and can cause issues with repairs later.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Uhaul
Quebec
Hi, we're new to the forum just a notch away from Ontario in Gatineau. We are working on renovating our 1984 uhaul just purchased about 1 month ago. 4 hours a day. Electrical, floors, gasket around the door, paint, upholstery, ceiling runner....nice project and got plenty of pics
Old 09-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #19

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
I would suggest not using silicone on your fiberglass. It's difficult to remove, and can cause issues with repairs later.

How do you suggest sealing rivets?

Also, I have found silicone very easy to remove with the right product (i use goo gone)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMart View Post
Hi, we're new to the forum just a notch away from Ontario in Gatineau. We are working on renovating our 1984 uhaul just purchased about 1 month ago. 4 hours a day. Electrical, floors, gasket around the door, paint, upholstery, ceiling runner....nice project and got plenty of pics

Sounds like fun!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #21

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Uhaul
Quebec
This site has been awesome and our reference point. So glad it exists. We would have been lost without it!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #22

USA
Quote:
How do you suggest sealing rivets?

Also, I have found silicone very easy to remove with the right product (i use goo gone)
Marine products, made for fiberglass boats.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Marine products, made for fiberglass boats.

Thank you Talia, I will try that very specific product next time.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #24

USA
Quote:
Thank you Talia, I will try that very specific product next time.
Oooh, sarcasm. Awesome, I can do that too!

The reason I didn't name a very specific product is because depending on your locality, there will be different brands and you may not have a marine supply near you so it doesn't do you a lot of good for me to name a very specific product. Also, there are several products that would do the trick, so you need to choose your own according to the properties you need/want.

Finally, it's super easy to just type 'marine sealant for fiberglass' into Google and get answers. But hey, here's a link if you can't type that very specific term into Google:

https://www.google.com/#q=marine+fiberglass+sealant
Old 09-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #25

Ontario
I googled it too and got suggestions for silicone (among other things). It's suggests silicone as the easiest to apply, and I would agree!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #26

Ontario
Yesterday was a productive day. I got new wheels from Princess auto and installed them. By looking at the old tires, they were overdue!

I plan on refinishing the old wheels and painting them at some point to match the new paint scheme.

I also checked out the wheel bearings and they looked good. I am going to repack them next year.

With the help of a friend I created a spot to mount a battery box and some brackets for the propane tank and got it all welded to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160917_1008182.jpg   IMG_20160917_1008324.jpg  

IMG_20160917_0923234.jpg   IMG_20160917_1442087.jpg  

IMG_20160917_1003456.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #27

Ontario
Today was also a productive day, but more in the looks department.

I got some small spice jars with magnets on them and put up a small piece of metal in the spot where I ran out of backsplash. It looks pretty good, but I am going to keep waiting for something nicer.

I also refinished the fridge. Got some contact paper that looks like stainless and painted the top part black. It turned out nicer than I thought it would. I had some of the stainless contact paper left over, so I recovered my stove top cover. it does't look perfect, but it is 100% better than before.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160918_1926358.jpg   IMG_20160918_1929510.jpg  

Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #28

Ontario
Our first camping trip with the Boler went very well! We decided to go to Sharbot Lake Provincial Park, which is about 1.5 hours from Ottawa. The only real issue was forgetting our grill and driving back 30 minutes to get it. I also forgot to bring a socket (and the impact gun) with the correct size for the scissor jacks, which meant doing them by hand (with a standard wrench). It was much more time consuming.

The wagon towed like a dream. The best part of these little trailers is not having to worry about backing it in perfectly. We just unhooked and rolled it around to the best spot. Same with hooking it back up, get it sorta close and roll the trailer to the car!

We decided to get a site with electrical hookups as I have yet to buy a battery. The fridge worked perfectly, as did the stove. The furnace was a bit too cold one night, then I adjusted and it was way too hot the next night. I'd rather something that can get too hot, then I can just open some windows.

As you can see in the pics, my dog (aptly named Rivet) also enjoyed the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160921_1141208.jpg   IMG_20160921_1142025.jpg  

IMG_20160922_1402395.jpg  

Tags
boler