My 77 B15 Beachcomber - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Talking Most times it's not the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hi everyone: I just typed a long post, added 10 pics, but when I tried to submit, I was told I wasn't logged in. When I tried to log in, I lost my Post. This has happened numerous times. I log in when I first enter the forum. I know I'm logged in because I can even enlarge other members pictues, which I can't do if I'm not logged in. Five or so minutes later, I'm told I'm not logged in. I'm confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction??
It will be the internet provider.
So please try again, looking forward to the pictures.

Rick.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #16

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
Hi: I will try again, with pics first.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01719.jpg   DSC01720.jpg  

DSC01721.jpg   DSC01724.jpg  

DSC01725.jpg   DSC01726.jpg  

DSC01727.jpg   DSC01731.jpg  

DSC01729.jpg   DSC01733.jpg  

Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Pic follow up

Hi again: First three pics show some floor drains that I have installed just in case water enters the trailer.
Several pics show the B15 with windows removed. Several show the roof supports. I have installed 7 cross members. Hopefully they will support some weight when I need to work on the roof.
Rick, did your roof arch or bow above your roof supports and if so, how did you solve. If it isn't tight to the framing, what will stop it from vibating in the wind while traveling??
Sorry for being brief, but this is the third time I've typed this post.

Sid
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #18

Registry
Talking Hey Sid, check out the pictures in 33 to 35 in my build post.

They show how I pushed up the ceiling/roof, what it doesn't show is I also used P/L premium fibre glass compatable adhesive to hold the wood frame to the roof/ceiling.

Hope that helps.

Rick.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
roof support

Hi Rick: Thanks for your quick reply.
Do I understand correctly then that your roof is not totally flat on top but has a slight arch which allows water to run off easier?? Also, it looks and sounds as though your aluminum supports are not arched quite the same, or have you placed wooden arches (spacers) between them and the FG??
Thanks again
Sid
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #20

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Kudo's

Nice job on the restoration. I learned the hard way restoring boats that it is best to rip everything out. Keep the pictures coming. I want to find something like this myself.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #21

Connecticut
Quote:
Hi again: First three pics show some floor drains that I have installed just in case water enters the trailer.
Several pics show the B15 with windows removed. Several show the roof supports. I have installed 7 cross members. Hopefully they will support some weight when I need to work on the roof.
Rick, did your roof arch or bow above your roof supports and if so, how did you solve. If it isn't tight to the framing, what will stop it from vibating in the wind while traveling??
Sorry for being brief, but this is the third time I've typed this post.

Sid

If you want that roof to be strong, glass those horizontal stringers to the ceiling. It is not all that hard if you lightly grind the area to be bonded, and put pressure on the glass on the cross member. Wax paper will keep the boards you use to apply pressure from bonding. Then dress it up with a grinder and it will be amazingly strong. I use 3/4" PVC pipe cut in half for stiffeners, or foam channel, glassed over. Both are light.

Another method is to glue on balsa core material. 3/8" or 1/2" and then glass over that with a layer or two of glass. It is harder to work on a ceiling but it can be done. A vacuum bag sucks out the excess resin. You can also flip it over which is feasible if you have a good bed to put it on and a few friends to help flip it.

High density foam works too and adds insulation value. It costs a bit more than balsa core.
Foam would be my choice.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #22

Connecticut
What do you plan to use for paint?

I like Interlux Perfection--although I think they changed the name again. It is a to part epoxy and is hard as nails-very difficult to scratch. For primer, I use Interlux 2000U, two coats, sanded after the second coat. I thin the heck out of the paint 40% thinner using three coats with the tip and roll method and it looks sprayed when done.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There's a time limit from the time you open a reply window to the time you hit submit. I don't remember what it is, but time flies! I'd suggest if you think you're going to have a long post, to type it in Notepad, then copy and paste into the reply window.

Works for me and sometimes I drone on and on and on
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Donna: Now I just have to figure out how to move my note pad messages to this forum. I'll work it out. It may just take me awhile. Just another small challenge.
Sid
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Copy (from Notepad) and paste (into reply window)... it's easy Sidney, honest. To put the pictures intermingled in the text... after you get them uploaded click on the Paperclip. See this for more info: Posting Picture help by Donna D.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks again Rick for the pics re your ceiling. I may just have to re think this whole thing.

Nightsailor: I believe your suggestion is similar to Rick's except that you are talking Glass and he is talking glue(PL Premium). Yes I had even considered Glassing small 1/2 tubes to the top of the roof, similar to that of Fibre Stream trailers. I just couldn't imagine myself doing that much Glassing being the novice that I am.
Re: paint, I am considering using Brightside Interlux marine enamel as others in the forum have used. Is this what you are refering to??
All suggestions are appreciated even though all may not be used.

Thanks everyone
Sid
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
I previously said I needed to rethink my ceiling supports. Well, I've re thought and changed my approach. I removed the metal and wood stringers and replaced with cedar that I cut to fit the arch in the roof. They all had to be custom fit, because the amount of arch varies. I thought these were flat roofed trailers, but I guess they aren't, unless the fibreglass has stretched.LOL. The cross pieces between the stringers should be relatively easy. Anyway I feel better about them and guess what, cedar doesn't rot easy. I used PL Premium to glue them up as well as rested them on the strips along the top of the wall and also attached them with small angle brackets at the ends. This better all work, because they won't be easy to remove now. I put alot of pressure on the first one and they are really quite strong, not to mention lighter.
I am attaching pics, I hope

Sid
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01735.jpg   DSC01736.jpg  

Old 08-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #28

Registry
Talking That looks good Sid

Quote:
I previously said I needed to rethink my ceiling supports. Well, I've re thought and changed my approach. I removed the metal and wood stringers and replaced with cedar that I cut to fit the arch in the roof. They all had to be custom fit, because the amount of arch varies. I thought these were flat roofed trailers, but I guess they aren't, unless the fibreglass has stretched.LOL. The cross pieces between the stringers should be relatively easy. Anyway I feel better about them and guess what, cedar doesn't rot easy. I used PL Premium to glue them up as well as rested them on the strips along the top of the wall and also attached them with small angle brackets at the ends. This better all work, because they won't be easy to remove now. I put alot of pressure on the first one and they are really quite strong, not to mention lighter.
I am attaching pics, I hope

Sid

I think you nailed it Sid and the cedar idea wish I'd thought of it too, also that's some fancy wood cutting.

Rick.

Tags
beachcomber