did you live in edmonton about 20 years ago

alan

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #72

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Smile

Sidney,
Very impressed with your work. You will have something to be very proud of when its done. I would suggest putting your photos into an album so that when you are camping you can show others how your labor of love developed. Have you given thoughts to an interior theme or colors.?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #73

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
hi sid

did you live in edmonton about 20 years ago

alan
No, but I lived in the NWT from 1976 to 1980 and in Vulcan AB from 1969 to 1973.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #74

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Sidney,
Very impressed with your work. You will have something to be very proud of when its done. I would suggest putting your photos into an album so that when you are camping you can show others how your labor of love developed. Have you given thoughts to an interior theme or colors.?
Thanks Rosemary!! I do have all the pics on a flash (thumb) drive and can show them on an electronic picture viewer. My wife is into scrap booking so she could easily do up an album.
We are in the process of planning the interior. The ceiling and walls will be done with a wallboard with a vinyl finish in a snowdrift white. We're hoping to do the cabinets in the same white, but with the same aqua silver color as our car used for all the trim, door frames etc. The stove top, sink and fridge front is stainless steel. Window coverings have not been decided as yet.
I will try to post pics re: progress.

Sid
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
No, but I lived in the NWT from 1976 to 1980 .

Where in NWT/ I lived in Fort Smith NWT (and worked for Terrified Gov) from 1977 to 80!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #76

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Where in NWT/ I lived in Fort Smith NWT (and worked for Terrified Gov) from 1977 to 80!
I spent 4 years in Hay River working in the X-ray department in H.H.Williams Memorial Hospital. Did you mean Territory Gov.? Or was that tongue in cheek? I even spent one week filling in at the Fort Smith Hospital one summer, but I don't remember what year. Small world eh?? I even had my car chased by a bull buffalo that week. That was scarey!!

Sid
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #77

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Yes - Gov of NWT = Territitorial Gov = "Terrified Gov."

Had many encounters with those bison - the last (and only) large free-roaming herd of Wood Bison in the world, in Wood Buffalo Nat'l Park. My wife worked for the Park while we were there.

One of the ladies in the bank made the mistake of stopping to look at a group of bison and take pictures. Turned out the group was a bull and his harem and it was rutting season. The ol bull tolerated this for a while and then put his head down and charged her little Corolla. She froze and sat there screaming, eyes clenched tight.H e backed up and did it again. And again. Then he strolled around to the other side, and....

When she "unfroze" and stamped on the gas (wishing she had a MUCH bigger and more powerful car) she got away. Car was junk. She had MORE fun than you could ever imagine with her insurance company (which was based in a big city.)

("Honest, I was just sitting there, not moving when this wild animal....." )

I went to Hay R quite often (to the Back Eddy, of course!)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #78

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hi Willis: Thought I'd better follow up on our last connection. It's going to soon be time to get to work on the Beachcombers. When will you be ready to get yours out of storage. If you can send pics (Closeups) of the ends of the trailer inside that would really help me. Otherwise, I will be in Kelowna for an appointment on Apr. 10th. Possibly we could meet then???????????

Sid
Hey Sid, I was planning on bringing the trailer over to my house in the next couple weeks so April 10Th should work fine. I will be on day shift, which would put me home around 3:45. I live right in town, pretty central, shouldn't be very far from wherever your plans take you.

Willis
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #79

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Hey Sid

i knew a Sid\squidley that used to come camping to rock lake, sylvan and others in the 80's. he worked up north too but in the yukon ( i remeber his t-shirts with the actual size mosquito 12 inches high on he front)

just a long shot

thanks for the reply

Alan
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #80

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Yes - Gov of NWT = Territitorial Gov = "Terrified Gov."

Had many encounters with those bison - the last (and only) large free-roaming herd of Wood Bison in the world, in Wood Buffalo Nat'l Park. My wife worked for the Park while we were there.

One of the ladies in the bank made the mistake of stopping to look at a group of bison and take pictures. Turned out the group was a bull and his harem and it was rutting season. The ol bull tolerated this for a while and then put his head down and charged her little Corolla. She froze and sat there screaming, eyes clenched tight.H e backed up and did it again. And again. Then he strolled around to the other side, and....

When she "unfroze" and stamped on the gas (wishing she had a MUCH bigger and more powerful car) she got away. Car was junk. She had MORE fun than you could ever imagine with her insurance company (which was based in a big city.)

("Honest, I was just sitting there, not moving when this wild animal....." )

I went to Hay R quite often (to the Back Eddy, of course!)
When I told people about my experience with the bison, I was told about the lady with the corolla. Apparently it happened not long before mine. Probably the same old bull. He went from 0-30mph in about one second and tried to head me off at the pass. Glad I had a bigger more powerful car. We escaped without damage. It's an experience not many have. Those are very large beasts!!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #81

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Willis: I tried to send you a private message, but must be doing something wrong. If you would e-mail me at rosid@telus.net, we could arrange to meet after you get off work on Apr. 10th. Thanks
Sid
Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #82

British Columbia
Registry
Hi All FG enthusiasts. Finally got around to taking some pics to show what I have done over the last month.
Picked up my paneling at Escape Trailers in Chilliwack a few weeks back and have been working on the installation since. I found it very time consuming because
every piece of panel had to be custom cut to fit.
Today I installed the lino (boy was it hot here today. 29 degrees celsius) and tomorrow expect to start on the benches, cabinets etc.
I am including some pics for your perusal.

Sid
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01920.jpg   DSC01921.jpg  

DSC01925.jpg   DSC01923.jpg  

DSC01928.jpg   DSC01934.jpg  

DSC01935.jpg   DSC01936.jpg  

DSC01937.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #83

Name: Rick
Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Talking Looks good Sid

It looks like you're heading to the home stretch, have you decided on a floor plan and how big the bed will be.

Are you putting the furnace back in and what about the fridge are you staying with the original 3 way or are you going for a 110volt fridge.

I'm excited for you it looks like you'll be out camping in your BeachComber before too long keep the pictures coming.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #84

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: In answer to your questions, we have just decided on the floor plan. The bed will go across the back end. The head and foot will be 48"
wide (we are not big people). Of course the middle of the bed will be about 53". That gives a little more back side room.
We will not have a furnace. I purchased a "Mr. Heater" which uses 1 lb. propane tanks, just in case we need some heat in the evenings.
If we have shore power, we will use an electric catalytic heater.
Last summer I purchased a 12volt DC Waeco fridge with a danfoss compressor. It only uses about 3-3 1/2 amps so should be able to run for about 2 days on a
good deep cycle battery. If we have shore power we can keep the battery up with a smart charger. (an acquaintance of mine who spent 32 years converting
Grey Hound buses into motor homes told me that is all that he uses now in his motorhome). I also purchased a 100 watt solar panel which should have no problem
keeping the battery up. I also purchased 4 36-led lights for the interior. It's going to be interesting to see how all this works out.
The fridge will be relocated to just behind the door and raised up about 20" off the floor. We are getting too old to get on our knees to see what is in the fridge.
I'm hoping to have most of the work done in 2 weeks. I won't get much done after mid june, as my wife will be getting radiation treatments in Kelowna
for 3 or 4 weeks so we will be away Mon. to Fri. every week.
I hope we get a chance for a short campout before that time. The Beachcomber may not be finished but I hope it will be usable.

Sid

Tags
beachcomber