My ambitious Boler restoration - '79 Model - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #57

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Your right the egg shape is very efficient, trouble is our eggs are cracked at the door...
and soft-shelled. Not turtle egg soft, but nowhere near chicken egg stiff. They can deform a lot without cracking.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #58

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
Covering corners for radius windows

This was done by prior owner.

I would have to inspect and try to identify how it was done. Y will post some detailed pics to illustrate.

My guess, doing it from both sides provides a simetrical cross section, and a stronger wall.

Still FG virging here. Got my kit to repair it, but weather has not yet Oppened up. Happy spring to all you out there still under the snow!

Cheers,
L

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Wow Luis, you're just jamming on this thing!

Question for you. When you built up the corners of the windows with fiberglass, are you building from both inside and outside, or do you mask off one side and only build from one side? I would think that one would need to do it from both sides to attain the most strength, but not sure if it is necessary. Thanks.

Slav

Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
and soft-shelled. Not turtle egg soft, but nowhere near chicken egg stiff. They can deform a lot without cracking.
LOL Brian, the "cracking" I was referring to is the large opening of the door. The hole in our eggs. My point is exactly that, the shell WILL deform considerably with the support structure removed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #60

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
LOL Brian, the "cracking" I was referring to is the large opening of the door. The hole in our eggs. My point is exactly that, the shell WILL deform considerably with the support structure removed.
I realized that - I'm saying that in addition to having "cracks" already started, they're soft (not stiff) as well, and thus not so structurally ideal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #61

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Enjoying watching your progress Luis. You will find alot of very helpful people on this site.
Keep the photos coming.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #62

Alberta
Registry
window corner question

Slav, here are some pics I managed to take for you todaday.

It looks like a "mold" i.e. backing sheet was placed on the outside of the body and all the FG work was done on the inside.

I also noticed the thickness achieved was shy of the original body thickness.

Hope this helps you with your need.

Regards,
Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Wow Luis, you're just jamming on this thing!

Question for you. When you built up the corners of the windows with fiberglass, are you building from both inside and outside, or do you mask off one side and only build from one side? I would think that one would need to do it from both sides to attain the most strength, but not sure if it is necessary. Thanks.

Slav
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1613[1].jpg   IMG_1615[1].jpg  

IMG_1616[1].jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #63

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Cool, thanks Luis. Have you tried tugging on this to see if it is totally solid or flimsy?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #64

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Looks as strong as the surrounding area to me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #65

Washington
Luis,

When you put down the flooring boards, did you treat the floor fiberglass with anything or just put them down? I liked how Robert Johans painted the inside of his Boler with the gray garage floor epoxy and I have been thinking of doing that also. But...I don't know if it is necessary and makes me wonder if, when it is applied to the walls before the insulation and wall covering, over time it would start peeling away along with the wall covering???

What do you think?

Also, will you be sealing the floor plywood with something before you apply whatever final flooring or will you leave it untreated? Thanks!

Slav
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #66

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Slav and Luis I was looking at the original FG repair forum that a Dave White started and he said he would post pictures on how to do it correctly but I never saw any further threads and that was a year ago. I have some left over FG when I ripped out the galley and overhead. Dave W said that he takes old pieces of FG and cuts them to shape and then glasses those "patches" over the holes instead of taking weaved cloth and doing the whole thing from scratch. This seems to make sense but never saw anymore answers. I was thinking about taping the patch up with aluminum foil on one side as others do and then glass the inside;remove the other side and then finish the outside with Bondo or FG fill (since I am going to paint over it anyway) Hope that makes sense? I am starting serious contact cement removal now around the areas I want to fill in [lots of holes and rivet holes I want to refill].

I am doing massive searches now on all types of FG spots to get some good ideas. I know there are a lot of repeat questions that the forum keeps repeating over the years but there are new Egg Owners (ME) coming on board all the time with questions. I liked the idea of painting the bottom half with Marine epoxy like Robert did on his thread. I dont see any downside and others are free to comment as I am not there yet.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #67

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Slav and Luis I was looking at the original FG repair forum that a Dave White started and he said he would post pictures on how to do it correctly but I never saw any further threads and that was a year ago. I have some left over FG when I ripped out the galley and overhead. Dave W said that he takes old pieces of FG and cuts them to shape and then glasses those "patches" over the holes instead of taking weaved cloth and doing the whole thing from scratch. This seems to make sense but never saw anymore answers. I was thinking about taping the patch up with aluminum foil on one side as others do and then glass the inside;remove the other side and then finish the outside with Bondo or FG fill (since I am going to paint over it anyway) Hope that makes sense? I am starting serious contact cement removal now around the areas I want to fill in [lots of holes and rivet holes I want to refill].

I am doing massive searches now on all types of FG spots to get some good ideas. I know there are a lot of repeat questions that the forum keeps repeating over the years but there are new Egg Owners (ME) coming on board all the time with questions. I liked the idea of painting the bottom half with Marine epoxy like Robert did on his thread. I dont see any downside and others are free to comment as I am not there yet.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I think it is sound thinking of using left-over FG to patch larger holes. That is what I'm planning on doing with the refrigerator and furnace vent holes. We had a big chunk of FG that was holding up the under-body water tank, so that makes it handy to re-purpose. I think certain places on the egg body are easier to just build up new FG than to patch with leftover...but that's been my experience so far.

I just looked at marine epoxy paints and they seem to be over $100 per gallon, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing! That seems way pricy.

You're right, it is hard to find answers to some "common" questions and we all end up asking them again. I'm trying to run our Boler resto thread as detailed as possible so others can benefit hopefully.

Slav
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #68

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trails West Campster, CampStar, Uhaul, Fiberstream
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post

Mike
Here is some work we did...hope it helps
You Can Repair Fiberglass
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks Dave! For some reason I had the first 4 pages of the link saved to PDF and then I must have had a BF and never saw page 5. I can only tell you that the information you presented on the forum in one place exceeds my expectations and I truly thank you for the info and the confidence to FG this Egg back to health.
Gracias
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #70

Alberta
Registry
FG repairs

GMike, Slav,
I have not been able to get FG'ing yet.

I am however aware of the challenged ahead. Smaller hole I think, mat and cloth alone. Bigger holes (freezer vents, etc) better to have FG additional material to fill the hole with.

I have a cut off from what it seems to be the window cover that can be used for supplemental material. Perhaps.

Slav as ofr floor prep, I am not thinking doing anything. My lan is to placea half inch layer of foam and then a half inch plywwod sheet. I will create structural strips so that the plywood is not resting on foam alone, because I think it iwll eventually colapse it under pressure.

My plan is to pait the final floor sheets in some epoxy based paint (as Johans) for neatness, but I do not really think there is much function involvedl

My challenge now is to finally nail down the appliances list so I can figure out piping,cabling, etc...I have to figure out how to lay down plywood and allow for all these.

It looks as this easter long weekend may be over 14 Celsius around here. time to work soome FG...

Cheers all,
L

Tags
boler