My Boomerang 1971 Compact Jr. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What color should I paint my Compact Jr.?
Brilliant White 1 2.44%
Navajo White 10 24.39%
Silver Gray 2 4.88%
True Black 1 2.44%
Firetruck Red 1 2.44%
Pepto-Bismol Pink 1 2.44%
Safety Orange 2 4.88%
Lemon Yellow 3 7.32%
Forrest Green 1 2.44%
Cyan 3 7.32%
Dodger Blue 2 4.88%
Lavender 1 2.44%
Majenta 1 2.44%
2 Tone with White on top (explain which combo in a post) 4 9.76%
Partridge Family Bus 3 7.32%
Something I didn't think of (explain in a post) 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I am still searching for 7" Chrome Baby Moon Center Hubcaps
You might call on these, I don't know if the V8 is stamped in the cap: Baby Moon Cap 7" (Ea)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #42

Trailer: Compact Jr
I will be looking for the same hubcaps to fit on the original wheels. I live in So. Cal. and plan on taking one of my wheels to Hubcap Mike's to find a a pair. I purchased a set from him for a different trailer.

Hubcaps Wheel Covers | Hubcap Mike's | Buy New Hub Caps Online

It may be to late at the time of this post, but I added a couple extra frame supports when I was at this stage.

I am interested in seeing bumper stabilizer leveler systems from various owners. Yours looks like a giant threaded rod attached to each side.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #43

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I will be looking for the same hubcaps to fit on the original wheels. I live in So. Cal. and plan on taking one of my wheels to Hubcap Mike's to find a a pair. I purchased a set from him for a different trailer.
When I saw your post I remembered that the last time I visited HubcapMike's, he was out-of-stock for Compact Jr. Baby Moons. He now has them and I immediately ordered a pair. They arrived today and they fit perfectly!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #44

Registry
Smile

I ordered a translucent white Fiberglass Stoneguard from Vintage Trailer Supply to add to my parts waiting to be installed on the Boomerang.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
It may be too late at the time of this post, but I added a couple extra frame supports when I was at this stage.

I am interested in seeing bumper stabilizer leveler systems from various owners. Yours looks like a giant threaded rod attached to each side.
I have also been rethinking the frame configuration, and want to change it. I dislike the piece of angle-iron in the center of the back half running fore-and-aft because it interferes with a feature I want to place there. I want to replace that with side-to-side cross-members located where the 6 short "out-riggers" are now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact Jr Rear Closed.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	59789 Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Fiberglass and steel 2.jpg Views: 27 Size: 27.9 KB ID: 59790" style="margin: 2px" />
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1455.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	59791

Yes, 1" threaded rod, 24" long. I need to weld a smaller nut on top of each one so they can be operated with a drill motor.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #46

Quote:
When I saw your post I remembered that the last time I visited HubcapMike's, he was out-of-stock for Compact Jr. Baby Moons. He now has them and I immediately ordered a pair. They arrived today and they fit perfectly!
Yikes! $60 each! That is more than I paid for full sized wheel moons caps. Thanks for the confirmation of in stock, and part number. I hope to find a more reasonable price if it exists. I am gonna call Mike and see if that is a pricing mistake. ;-)
Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #47

Registry
I will admit that I have thrown caution (and maybe my wallet as well) to the wind on this project.
The fiberglass stoneguard wasn't cheap either. But I feel like a kid in a candy store.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #48

Sorry Frederick, I didn't intend to sound like a party downer. Of course those caps are going to look good on your trailer, and the reason I want a pair also! I purchased a set of three baby moons, and beauty rings for a different trailer, and didn't mind paying for it. In my mind the tiny 12" wheels should cost considerably less, but not in this case. haha. A case of supply and demand at this point. I have one other source to check for price comparisons.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #49

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Used hubcaps

Quote:
Yikes! $60 each! That is more than I paid for full sized wheel moons caps. Thanks for the confirmation of in stock, and part number. I hope to find a more reasonable price if it exists. I am gonna call Mike and see if that is a pricing mistake. ;-)
Just started reading this thread. Will have to go back and vote on a color (in retrospect, I'm sure)---I hope Frederick has Avocado as a choice. I do believe it's one of the orginal colors. And for sure it's the color of my Compact Jr. stove! Frederick, you ruined it by getting a stainless steel stove...

I had a flat on a rainy night going over some National Forest mountains in northern California two years ago after attending the Oregon Gathering. The police had me drive to a safe place on the flat, so of course it was totally ruined by the time I got going again on the spare. I called ahead to my friends in Sacramento to look around for a tire. They called back to say they'd ordered one so it would be there when I got in. Turns out they hadn't just ordered a TIRE, they ordered a whole trailer wheel with tire on it! $100. From an RV place in what looked to be kind of a dumpier area of Sacramento.

I thought that was such a good deal, I ordered & bought another one before I left town. So now I have both on my trailer. But they don't take my Baby Moons. All to say,

(1) There is an idea of where to get wheels to fit a Compact Jr. (saw in another post today where someone said they are hard to get), and

(2) I have two used Baby Moons in my garage. I will gladly sell to the highest bidder that bids more than $200 each on them. My tow car just blew a head gasket and has taken a little trip down the road to the local junkyard. Don't worry, you're $400-plus will go to good use into my Replace The Tow Car Fund.

(3) Frederick, if you are reading this, I have taken to heart what you said about towing a 1,700 lb. trailer with an old RAV-4 that's supposed to tow 1,500 lbs. Of course, it took a fractured brake shoe (coming down the Sierra Nevadas) and a blown head gasket, but so, I'm a little dense...well, not so dense as cheap. At any rate, you will be glad to hear that I am looking for a used RAV-4 V6 with Factory Towing Package that can tow 3,500 lbs.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #50

My vote on color

OK, I voted for two-toned with white on the top and avocado on the bottom. Very vintage!

(Just image the brown in the photo is avocado)
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #51

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Paint

You did not mention what color your TUG is. I like to see Tugs and Trailers match in some way, that's what I am doing with my 2013 Ford Escape and my 1971 13' Boler.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
You did not mention what color your TUG is. I like to see Tugs and Trailers match in some way, that's what I am doing with my 2013 Ford Escape and my 1971 13' Boler.

Yes, Frederick, what color is it?

I'm hoping to get another red/maroon RAV-4 to match the stripes on my Compact Jr.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #53

Registry
Unhappy Silver Gray

Both my Honda Odyssey and my Pontiac Vibe are Silver Gray, which was not my preference but a Hobson's choice. That is why I put a RED stripe on the Odyssey; to match the RED stripes on the Navajo White Fiber Stream.

The Stainless Steel Stove is in the Eggstasy, not the Boomerang.

I decided on Turquoise for the main body of the Compact Jr. and White for:
  • the pop-top roof fiberglass and fabric
  • the front window "stone guard"
  • the new back entry door
The original gelcoat was beige/peach which I think is too pastel. The other half of my Gemini persona is appealing that decision and still lobbying for Pepto-Bismol Pink... I'm looking for a "Wow, how cute!!!" response when I go camping in it.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #54

Registry
decisions, decisions, decisions

I have in storage a small 3-way refrigerator that I had planned on installing in the Compact Jr. But now that I have to replace the refrigerator in the Fiber Stream, I am remembering that the appeal of the Compact Jr. was its simplicity. My goal is to make it as light weight as possible.

Does adding a refrigerator compromise both those goals?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #55

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Simplicity can also include camping style. I don't find an icebox to be simple. Needing to add ice and constantly wondering if I'm keeping meat and dairy cold enough. All electric is cheaper and maybe easier to install, but then there's that always needing electricity thing.

A 3-way refrigerator is more simple to ME. Because I have options and can use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to monitor the temperature.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #56

Registry
Talking The Frame/Axle/Wheels work is done!

Quote:
The steel frame has a new coat of "rust converting" primer.
Attachment 57804 Attachment 57805

The original wheels have been sent out for sand-blasting and RED powder coat.

Purchased new round 2000 lb axle with 4" drop, plus perches on both sides so it is changeable from spring-under to spring-over mount, 7" electric brakes, and new 2000 lb leaf springs, plus all new hardware kits to assemble to the frame.
The frame upgrades are complete. I got it painted and assembled the pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1517.jpg   000_1518.jpg  

Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #57

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Looking good, Frederick.

I'm not very familiar with the Compact (although at least I know it has a rear door and a pop top) or your custom plans... is the dropped box in the rear a dropped floor section, a tank frame, or something else? I'm thinking a shower pan with hinged floor section covering it when not in use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #58

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm thinking a shower pan with hinged floor section covering it when not in use.
Good eye!
Attached Thumbnails
000_1519.jpg   000_1520.jpg  

Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #59

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Where's the "like" button!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #60

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Why are there caster wheels at the rear of the trailer frame?

The work so far looks great; I don't get the shower pan feature, though. Please explain.

Best,
Fran
Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, compact jr., dmv, pti, title, weight