My Broken Back 16ft. Casita - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #57

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
If you are doing some welding, strengthen up the area around the axle. I had hairline cracks from the body flex. My welding skills will hold something, but it won't look pretty so I am having the shop that is replacing the axle weld in a plate along side the outside.I don't know yet when that will happen, he is still waiting on the axle.

EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #58

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike thanks

mike at 75 did I say 75 I am not interested in any big jobs but the door striker does bother me some. I am thinking it has been moved sometime in its life after all its 22 years old old stevie is actually holding up pretty well.

But the door still closes and the door pretty much seals up. I see one small gap but I have done some extra weather stripping so I am not going to worry much. Next owner gets to do that if he wishes.

As my dad used to say if it aint broke don't fix it! I can see fooling with it can bring even more problems!

bob

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #59

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
mike at 75 did I say 75 I am not interested in any big jobs but the door striker does bother me some.
bob
At 65, I'm not far behind you. After a career in construction, my dogs are plumb wore out.

I made a milestone today. I have the door side body weight shored up by a permanent closet. I nearly got the second wall of the closet in too but as I mention before, my dogs were plumb wore out.

The holes in the wall are dadoed on the inside for installing a recessed 1/4 inch panel.

Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #60

California
Today the only pic is of me outside of my Casita. It is starting to look pretty civilized! Certainly not "broke back" anymore.

I have turned my focus to rebuilding the wood supports in weak places of the fiberglass interior panels. I am using various width pieces of 1x fir or pine that I have laying around trying to keep the dimensions as small as practical in keeping with my low weight plan for this trailer. I am also about to to turn my attention to the 2 way LPG/DC Dometic fridge. First thing up os to hook up propane to the unit outside of the trailer and fire her up to see if she works followed by a try of the 12v d.c. power side.

I looked around and found a service manual for this particular unit. http://fardo.net/gallery/d/16730-3/D...ers+Manual.pdfThe manual clearly shows a box enclosure around the fridge with specs that show needed partitions if the rear of the unit is mounted a specific distance from the vent opening. My fridge came bare bones without an enclosure of any kind but there is a small stack of rigid foam board insulation which I assume are supposed to go around the unit.

My question of the day to you all is this: is there some kind of box enclosure surrounding the fridge in your trailers besides the rigid foam? If so, what materials are they made of? I was thinking of building some kind of rigid foam lined plywood box with the box being tightly sealed around the vent openings.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Mike
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #61

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I think you are missing a fiberglass cabinet that the fridge would have been mounted in. Yours looks like the fridge was mounted on the street side across from the door which is opposite from my 17SD. You could make a plywood cabinet much like the closet you are building and line it with foamboard, maybe with aluminum foil coating. The main thing is you want to seal it well to the wall so you don't have exhaust getting into the interior of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0077.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #62

Missouri
keep on keeping on

wow not too far to go now!!

bob
Old 12-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #63

California
Thank you Dudley. That helps a lot! I hadn't thought of adding foil. A plywood box lined with foil and rigid foam it is! There still is a small amount of deformity in the fiberglass body of the trailer in the area of the vents after jacking the roof back up. I think I can use this cabinet to force the body back to its original line if it is form fitted to the proper shape and firmly attached. I'm thinking of fridge box as an additional bulkhead.

Bob, She is shaping up. I figure camping by middle March 2018.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #64

California
So I have been poking around looking at differing variations in 16ft. Egg travel trailers of different makes and year to get some ideas for floor plans. It is important to us that we do not have to constantly take the bed up and down to eat meals so a side booth arrangement is attractive. I also would like to save the area in the front in the event we come across a shower/ toilet unit sometime in the future.

The only practical place to install a side booth is on the left side due to the space taken up by the door. As an exercise, I temporarily set up our fiberglass kitchen unit on the opposite curb side to get a feel for that arrangement. This would allow me to put a booth in the area in the original kitchen location of this older model trailer. I must say I like it. That would mean of course fiberglassing in the fridge vent cutouts and moving them to the other side of the cab. But that is doable.

Here is a view of the proposed.

The booth would go here forward of the wheel box.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #65

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Your trailer is shaping up. Its lost its muffen top and is really comming around. Camping season will be comming up really soon. Keep up the good work.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #66

Missouri
our 13f

mike our scamper is a 13f no b/r one end is the bed up all the time. on the other end we bought a futon we bought plate holders and use them that s it.

our requirements are not very much no tv, not much of anything.

bob
Old 12-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #67

California
Thanks Steve, This is a fun project. I like having a relatively clean slate.

Bob, Our needs are fairly simple too. Since the kids grew up and moved away, we mostly use the cheap wooden TV trays bought from Walmart to eat on here at home. It would be just ase easy to use those trays in the trailer. Heck, I have my laptop sitting on one of them as I type this. They would be easy to stow away and don't weigh very much which is another bonus.

Since my last post my wife suggested that by putting the kitchen counter across the front might make the trailer seem more spacious. In that case, we would leave the stove and fridge in the original location with the stove stacked over the fridge. That way the vents could stay the same. We would wind up with a lot of counter space but it would eliminate the possibility of the bathroom/ shower being put up there. Nothing is cast in stone. Heck it isn't even cast in sawdust at this point! It's good to think out loud sometimes. Thanks for being my sounding boards.

Mike
Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #68

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
In one of the threads -- Bolor rebuild I think, they did the kitchen stuff all across the front. That left the other stuff to the sides. I think if you did that, the shower would actually be easier to build, you could do something on the floor fairly stock from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and the walls could be regular sheets of FG or plastic. Lowes sells a 4x8 sheet that has texture on it. Depends a little on how big you have your bed. We took ours to fit the whole back half. In the next few years our small grandchildren want to go camping with us (places within a few miles) and plan on sleeping in the same big area. After that things are likely to change again, and have more of a dining area and bed both up most of the time.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #69

Missouri
our 13f

somewhere in its life someone removed the sink and the stove it presented no problem to us. we use a s/burner coleman all fuel for our stove or I can run a 2 burner propane the gas line tapped off the furnace line which we don't use anyway.

we use a quick disconnect for both the propane stove and the wave 3 when done we put them away. we had tv trays for awhile another thing to put up so we went to the plate holders for breakfast.

as I said when wifey retired I retired her kitchen duties while camping thus disposables and very little clean up.

to each his own I suppose!!

bob
Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #70

California
Even though the jacking of the roof straightened up most of the body on my trailer, there still was a bulge on the street side around the fridge vents. I experimented with jacking more, jacking less but it wouldn't straighten out. I decided to but a permanent wooden rib or two fore and aft of the openings to force the fiberglass into shape. Here are the pictures.

I replaced three of the metal screws holding the large vent frame to the fiberglass with machine screws & nuts drilled all of the way through the oak rib. In other areas, I used C clamps to force the body against the rib. It will be held in place with a polyurethane construction adhesive. I likely will go back in later to glass the ribs into the body.

The single rib pulls the body nicely into shape.

I plan to add another wider rib to the other side of the vent and another one just forward of the fender box. The wider rib will become a takeoff point for the bathroom partition that I have decided to add. These ribs lay under the the kitchen counter area. However I am almost sure that I will move the kitchen to the other side of the trailer just rear of the door. That will allow this area to become a two person dining booth. In that case, I will glue 1/8 veneer over these three ribs and then glue carpeting over that to finish it off.

The lower vent door will stay but will have a flat sheet glued & pop riveted on the inner side the louvers something to seal it off. It will become an access door to an under seat storage cubby. A new vented door will be installed for the fridge on the other side. The cutout piece of the wall will be cut to sized and moved over to fill the upper vent hole in the photos.

Tags
casita