My Easily Removeable Window Air Conditioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Has anyone tried to simply put a 5000 BTU LG or similar unit on a collapsible stand outside, behind the trailer and just duct in the cold air thru about a 6" flex duct into a round hole under the dinette area? ....possibly leaving a vent window open a bit so air circulates....thus a smaller hole with a cover could work....I would think that some of these new units, being priced under a $100 and possibly being fairly light would be worth a try.....the only nuissance would adjusting the temp..... ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone tried to simply put a 5000 BTU LG or similar unit on a collapsible stand outside,
See CD Smith's and Tom Trostel's posts in this link: Front (or rear) window AC?, it will lead to pics and further discussion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #23

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')

Thanks, Donna. That helped me too.

Bonnie
Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Update:

This summer (July 2009) we will be traveling across the mid-west after attending the Oregon Gathering. After spending time with Robert's brother and sister-in-law in Portland, we will go from there to Denver, and then across Kansas to St. Louis, MO.

Much of this leg of the trip will be to make time; we leave Portland Monday morning, July 20 and hope to arrive in St. Louis by Friday afternoon, July 25. If we average 450 miles per day, we will make it on schedule. But the thought of the time and effort involved in removing the AC each morning and re-installing it each evening just so we can get a comfortable night's sleep tires me out even now. I want to be able to leave the Air Conditioner in the window and leave the Bed configured as a bed.

After some study of my design, I just drilled one hole in the top of each piece of angle-aluminum and a corresponding hole in the inside lip of the window frame. Then I tapped (Threaded) the holes for the screws I used to fasten the angle mounts to the window frame. A couple of strips of Duct tape to seal window gaps temporarily finish the job.

The rock guard does not close completely over the Air Conditioner, so I have removed it and saved the parts. The Air Conditioner sits too low on the window frame to fit within the bulge of the unique Fiber Stream rock guard. I tested it this past weekend on my trip home from Palm Springs to San Diego, and it rides in the window just fine. I may have to consider rain while driving during the July trip and possibly caulk the edges around the unit, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now, I just wanted to allow the unit to stay in the window while traveling but still keep the easily removable aspect of the design.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Fred

I think you know this already but you will want that AC unit when you are here!
The end of July in STL does not make for comfortable sleeping without the AC(understatement!).
I also have a portable you are welcome to use should some odd fate befall you on the journey.
And of course you are welcome to use my facilities if they can help at all.

Do you know what site you are in yet?
I am going to the park this week and I thought I would do Recon for you?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #26

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Do you know what site you are in yet?
I am going to the park this week and I thought [b]I would do Recon for you?
We have reservations in Babler State Park Campground for site #11.

I understand that there is electric service at the site, but no "city water" connection; so while I can run the Air Conditioner, TV/VCR, and Microwave, I must fill the fresh water tank and use my water pump.

The website states:
Site Type = Electric
Includes parking pad, grill, table, lantern post, and electric supply
Maximum Amps = 50
Site has 20, 30, and 50 amp service

The Air Conditioner worked well for us this past weekend at Palm Springs. While I don't think we'll need it in Oregon, I know we'll need it pretty much continuously after leaving Denver. I'm studying my installation to see if I can raise it to be more centered vertically. If I can achieve that, then I believe the unique Fiber Stream rock guard will close over it while it is mounted in the window.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Here's a link to photos of the window install I did (posted here some time ago).

http://www.hustonfamily.com/gallery2/main....2_itemId=168650

The basic idea is one board attached to the AC unit via angle iron... cut to fit into the outside window channel (although my design of window, which seems somewhat rare on the Scamp is probably more conducive to this working well)... a second board fitting inside the inside window channel... and both boards attached together via carriage bolts... it fits very snug and I've logged many miles with it installed... although if need be I can quickly pull it out, loosening no tool knobs.

I personally think window installation is the only way to go... I haven't seen a closet installation which cools nearly as well.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #28

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
What is up with the 4:20 label on the black TV looking stand in your first pic? Should I dare to ask?
Steve Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #29

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
I believe the unique Fiber Stream rock guard will close over it while it is mounted in the window.
I just checked the fit, and it won't
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #30

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
What is up with the 4:20 label on the [b]black TV looking stand in your first pic? Should I dare to ask?
The meaning of 4:20

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	20507

That is just an "inside" joke of mine: Television has the same effect.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #31

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Update:

The rock guard does not close completely over the Air Conditioner.

For now, I just wanted to allow the unit to stay in the window while traveling but still keep the easily removable aspect of the design.
I have moved the Air Conditioner to the Forward Driver's Side Window.

Name:	AC15.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	20956

Since this is a Semi-permanent installation, I had to add a thin vertical strip of Plexiglas to the gap between the A/C unit and the window frame's center divider. This is where I had applied Duct Tape when leaving the A/C in the front window for the ride home from Palm Springs. (Note: I have not removed any part of the original window.) I have caulked all joints with a clear Lexan material. I added Reflective Tape to the outside corners of the A/C unit, White forward & Red aft.

Name:	AC16.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	20957

I can still remove the A/C and close the window and there will be no evidence it was ever there.
The new location makes accessing the controls easier, and I put the Bulging Plexiglas rock guard back on the front window.

Name:	AC17.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	20958
Old 12-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #32

Registry
Arrow

Quote:
I can still remove the A/C and close the window and there will be no evidence it was ever there.
I am sure glad I designed it that way. It has been raining for most of this week in San Diego, and I somehow did not get the air conditioner fully sealed in the window. A tiny trickle ran down the wall under the air conditioner and after Monday's monsoon, soaked the cushion under it.

It was a pain to remove the caulk, but once I did the air conditioner popped right out. With the window closed, there is no more leaking.

I'll only need it in the summer, anyway.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #33

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I'll only need it in the summer, anyway.
I reinstalled the Air Conditioner this weekend, in the side window location again. To get to Bandon we have to cross the full length of California and spend the 1st night near the Central Valley. I think I figured out why there was a leak last winter. The wood spacer to the right of the A/C unit wasn't caulked properly then. I think I did a smarter caulking job this year...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #34

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I reinstalled the Air Conditioner this weekend, in the side window location again... I think I figured out why there was a leak last winter. The wood spacer to the right of the A/C unit wasn't caulked properly then. I think I did a smarter caulking job this year...
The air conditioner has stayed in the driver's side front window continuously since last July with no leakage; especially during this winter's heavy rain. I caulked all of the pieces properly before and during installation.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #35

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Really like the way you did this project.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #36

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
The law says in Ontario we can not be over 102" wide and the boler is 97.5 at belly band (not counting awning outside). This leaves only 4.5" so easy to remove sounds best.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Here is a Scamp 13' with a Frigidaire 5000 btu I put in today. No windows needed to be removed. The a/c can be set in from the rear all you need to do is wrap the window with pipe wrapping. Insert the a/c from the rear and slide the front 4.5 inch board in place. I haven't trimmed the outside yet but will do the same on the rear. Takes all of two minutes to install and when I'm traveling I will remove the a/c and set it inside and close the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning