My 'Eggstreme Makeover - RV Edition' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
Here are some pictures of my little buddy. I bought it about a month ago. The previous owner had done a great job with the full time bed/dinette modification. It had a cute interior, but not my style.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	before_bed.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	27035

Name:	before_dinette.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	27036

After

Name:	after_bed.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	27037

Name:	after_dinette.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	27038

Name:	pillows.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	27039
[attachment=31945:li
ghting.jpg]

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	27042

There is still more work to be done, but I thought I'd share my project.
Happy camping!
-Jenny
Attached Thumbnails
dinette.jpg   lighting.jpg  

Jenny W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ahhhhhh...

As a person who likes light, clean, spare and bright your "after" photos brought a sigh of relief

Like you say, the previous re-do looked nicely done, but (to me) was dark and a bit cluttered feeling, mentally.

I saved two of the ideas for my files: The side door in the driver's side of the dinette base, and the PP in the passenger side seat base.

Oh, and can you tell/show more about the window shades? They look like the basic vinyl-type roller shades, but in cloth I'd love to know more about them!

Thanks for sharing!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft

David's wife here. I really like the roller shades also and was wondering more about them. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Ahhhhhh...

As a person who likes light, clean, spare and bright your "after" photos brought a sigh of relief

Like you say, the previous re-do looked nicely done, but (to me) was dark and a bit cluttered feeling, mentally.

I saved two of the ideas for my files: The side door in the driver's side of the dinette base, and the PP in the passenger side seat base.

Oh, and can you tell/show more about the window shades? They look like the basic vinyl-type roller shades, but in cloth I'd love to know more about them!

Thanks for sharing!

Raya

Thanks!
Actually, they are the inexpensive vinyl roller shades. Got them at Lowes and had them cut to size. I wanted to do the cheap roman shades from Ikea --- but they don't sell them anymore due to a recall because of a death of a child. The roller shades work pretty well. One needs some adjustment - it won't roll up like the others. I mounted them using lattice strip adhered with Gorilla Glue (used duct tape to hold in place while the glue set). Then screwed the brackets onto the wood strip. Painted then caulked the gaps. I do need to figure out how to keep them from jumping out of the bracket while going down the road. I took the trailer out yesterday for a test drive and some of the shades fell down.
Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft

Nice Job! I love the light above the sink!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I love it!! So clean and modern. Great job
Rachaelholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
Hi Jenny, Great work on your Scamp! I love the color choices and blinds as well. Is your bed permanent? We're thinking of going that route as well. Did you have a new bed made or did you use the Scamp's? Are you using the original cushions or a new mattress?

Thanks for sharing!
Fab W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
Looks great! Love the fabric for your pillows. Very clean and crisp.
Danielle Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 88 Cadet
I use roller shades as well. Levelor etc are adjustable and easy to work with as they come with a light perforation to set the width. I go an extra step and cut down the length so that it is not more than 1/3 longer than the window. This makes it easier for rolling up. Since my windows in the Cadet are not perpendicular, I also use velcro tape to attach to bottom of window to keep it flush with the window. The heavy vinyl does a good job at keeping light out.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Could you explain a little bit more about how you cut to adjust the length? That's something I need to do. I put a vinyl pull-down shade over my kitchen window, but it tends to unroll itself, and it's way too long, of course.

Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 88 Cadet
Quote:
Could you explain a little bit more about how you cut to adjust the length? That's something I need to do. I put a vinyl pull-down shade over my kitchen window, but it tends to unroll itself, and it's way too long, of course.
Well I did type this out but I guess I did not hit the reply button. This works on the Levelor shades, so no guarantees on the rest. The key thing is how the sahde is attached to the roller. Usually it is 2 sided tape. Use the floor as you'll need the space. Unroll the shade all the way until you expose the roller. Carefully peel the shade off of the 2 sided tape and lay it out on the floor. Measure the total height of distance you want the shade to cover and then add additional length so that you will not fully unroll the shade everytime. I added 18 inches but it should be 5 wraps around the roller. Draw a straight, square line where your cut will be (remember you are not cutting the bottom of the shade, but from the top as you want the pouch for the stick to remain. Sharp scissors will easily cut he shade.
Now the important part, making sure you put the shade on the right way. To be sure, place the roller on top of the shade with the front face of the shade facing up. Carefully re-apply the shade to the tape (if no longer sticking put new 2 sided tape on the roller). Now re-roll the shade onto the roller, making sure it is square on both ends. Place back on the hooks and pull down and test.
Follow the mfr's instructions if you need to increase the tension.
Voila!
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks! I'll have to shorten mine.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #13

Registry
I added a small microwave to the closet. I built a shelf and then just cut the door back. There's room on each side for venting and still plently of storage above. Plus, who really hangs up their clothes while camping???

Name:	<a title=microwave.jpg Views: 82 Size: 15.6 KB ID: 28533" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	microwave3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	28535
Attached Thumbnails
microwave2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I took the trailer out yesterday for a test drive and some of the shades fell down.
I've wondered if it would not be possible to MacGuyver some of the "baby" shades you see attached to many auto rear windows with suction cups.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
I've wondered if it would not be possible to MacGuyver some of the "baby" shades you see attached to many auto rear windows with suction cups.
But why not just tint all the windows? I did. Of course you still need shades for privacy but dark tint makes it very hard to see in during the daytime.

My suggestion for keeping the curtain rails on is zip ties!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
But why not just tint all the windows? I did. Of course you still need shades for privacy but dark tint makes it very hard to see in during the daytime.

My suggestion for keeping the curtain rails on is zip ties!

The plexi is tinted. The shades are for privacy at night.
I did figure out a way to keep the roller shade in the bracket - silver florist wire. Worked great!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Thanks!
Actually, they are the inexpensive vinyl roller shades. Got them at Lowes and had them cut to size. I wanted to do the cheap roman shades from Ikea --- but they don't sell them anymore due to a recall because of a death of a child. The roller shades work pretty well. One needs some adjustment - it won't roll up like the others. I mounted them using l[b]attice strip adhered with Gorilla Glue (used duct tape to hold in place while the glue set). Then screwed the brackets onto the wood strip. Painted then caulked the gaps. I do need to figure out how to keep them from jumping out of the bracket while going down the road. I took the trailer out yesterday for a test drive and some of the shades fell down.
Thanks again!
A little "tip" I got from a finish carpenter on one of the home remodeling forums -- PL Polyurethane Construction Adhesive -- comes in caulking gun tubes at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

The stuff is thick enough that it doesn't run down out of the joint and often doesn't even need duct tape or whatever to hold it in place. It also doesn't foam up like Gorilla Glue and doesn't harden up in its container before you get a chance to use is.

I love the stuff! Try it, you might like it!

I lov
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote