My Favorite Mod--What is yours? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I like them all Jack. I'd put the boat seats first and pot rack second.

I need a pot hanger too. I just put one in the house and love it. Not sure where I'd put one in my rig.

Regarding the boat seats. I saw a similar mod on like. I have thought about doing it but the dogs like the dinette and I expect I'll need to use that for a bed when my uncle camps with me.

Kudos all around on some really well thought out mods.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think mine is the woodwork collectively that my dad and I did, largely maple stuff:

* re-did the cubbyhole doors with stabilizing frames and lightweight doors of maple plus acrylic inserts, replacing the brick-heavy thick fiberboard original doors, and neatening up the raw openings that were originally cut by an angry drunk.

* maple countertop with a sink cover and flip-up countertop extender that we made out of the cut-outs for the sink and cooktop.

* rear overhead shelf - the older burros did not come with overwhelming amounts of overhead storage....this might be my most favorite because it's so crazy useful. the bed used to collect all the things during the day lacking other places to throw stuff, and now we can stow the things up and out of the way.

Most of it can be seen here in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
20120812 interior 7 rucio burro.jpg  
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #23

Connecticut
Joy,

Can you tell us how the satellite TV is working for you? Are you on Dish or Direct TV? Is it high def? Do you have a DVR? How much power does it take?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It's working great. My VuQube is the VQ 1000 model and will work on either DirecTV or Dish. I happen to subscribe to DirecTV.

I don't have a DVR in the trailer, I just take one of the extra sat boxes from home with me. The DVR box is much bigger and would not fit on my shelf, but that's fine with me, it's just trailer TV. If I was living in my trailer I'd make a new shelf which would accommodate a DVR. I don't care about HD, not sure I can really tell the difference so I did not subscribe to HD.

The sat dish is powered through the coxial cable with what little power goes through it and that's only for the initial setup to the elevation and direction, with a remote which powered by 2 AA batteries. Other than that there is no power usage. You just point the sat dish to the satellite.

I've had my VuQube for 6 1/2 years and what I've noticed is that I'm more cognizant a campsites orientation and the of foliage around it. I made a little goody which I call a Sat. Sighter. It's basically a compass on a piece of aluminum with a piece of square aluminum stock to the side which can be adjusted to any elevation which I've marked on the side. I set the square stock to the proper elevation for the area I'm in, then I use the compass to find the proper direction for the Satellite. Looking through the square stock with a small mirror I see if I have a clear opening to the Satellite. As a matter of fact I did this at The Oregon Gathering one year and I now know every campsite in loop A where I can get a clear view to the Big Satellite in the sky. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7874.JPG   109_7879.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Jen, your woodwork is really handsome! I love it! Good taste, well executed.
Question, how did you attach the shelves to the wall?
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
How about a picture of the swivel light
Here's a picture of the lights. I just went with a simple design that was a little retro looking--to me anyway. I removed the old ugly plastic lights and put these in their place. One on each end.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020645.jpg  
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #27

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I think mine is the woodwork collectively that my dad and I did, largely maple stuff
Beautiful work Jen and the best is those memories working with your dad that you'll have forever. Priceless!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #28

Connecticut
You get the innovation prize Joy. Very clever tool you made there for evaluating camp sites. You would make a good sailor.

I have spent a lot of time living on boats, at times with large crews such that seating space was at a premium. Living in my camper is spacious to me.

I did not plan to full time in this camper but I have been, except for bathroom and showers, while parked in my driveway. I moved in, partially because my new pup seemed to think my entire house was a place to peep and poop. She has only made mistakes in the camper three times and is almost completely trained now. Once I wash all the floors I the house with bleach perhaps I'll risk bringing the dogs back in.

I moved in to my camper, in part to test the systems out. I conjectured that by living in it, I would fix the things that were important and those that bugged me right away. I'd also make it cozy ad comfortable. Today I fixed my outdoor awning light--it had a bad ground near the galley window--must have been a factory defect. It was driving me nuts and I finally got around to it. In any event, I like just about everything about living in here including the daily improvements. I am glad I am nearly done and can start shifting my focus to my other goals as projects.

I'll be parked next to an old sloop I am restoring that I am determined to finish this year. Living next to it will help. I may buy an enclosed trailer to use as a workshop so I can work on rainy days too. I would live in the boat but it is roof dirty and most of the interior is removed.

My goal is to spend the winter anchored in Bermuda. Nothing will stop me from completing it this year. This camper will be my home away from home. With air conditioning I can out the dogs inside I the hottest part of the day, as cool off myself.

Many of the things I'm working on it he camper will also carry over onto my boat. I plan to live aboard so this is how I have been setting up my camper--like an off grid boon-docker.

I would like to have TV just because I need some mindless entertainment when I am dead tired. I expect ill want that onboard as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #29

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Jen, your woodwork is really handsome! I love it! Good taste, well executed.
Question, how did you attach the shelves to the wall?
Thanks! While doing the considerable amount of pre-painting prep (both inside and out) we fiberglassed wood support blocks to the round-corner bits of the walls in the rear to provide places to screw in shelf brackets.

So the all-around shelf is supported both at those blocks plus supports are screwed through the tall closet on the curb side and through the overhead kitchen cabinet on the street side.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #30

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Jen, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. You and your Dad have precious memories, this is great!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
My favorite mod is definitely the wet shackle upgrade on my Bigfoot's leaf springs. No more squeaking and groaning going down the road, or when walking around inside the trailer, or driving in and out of driveways, and even while bouncing down the Alcan.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-62285.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote