The original axle
was a Dexter, designed to be a 20* down angle....which had sank to a 10* up angle. I called Scamp
, gave them the VIN
number of the trailer, and they were able to give me the the EXACT dimensiions needed for the new axle
. Through a local company, I ordered a new Dexter 1000-2200 lb. Torflex axle
. In order to get as much clearance as possible, since I do go on graveled roads at times for camping and kayaking, I ordered a 45* down. I also got the brake flanges, since they cannot be added afterward (although I have not added brakes
at this time). It also has the newer EZ-lube hubs. I had it installed by a local RV shop, who was very knowledgable. Instead of welding the entire axle on (as they found the old one) they welded on the brackets (which had to be switched side/side - don't ask ME why - but they knew...something to do with the trailing arm...).
Wow! My little trailer is so tall now! My driveway has not more gouges. I don't really need a step most of the time, but have had to begin carrying one for my pooch, as she is older and had knee surgery this past year.