My Little Project - 1969 Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #15

Name: T.
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I thought of those 3M hooks. They seem to work well enough in our home. Just two last questions (ha!) did you mount straight to the fiberglass interior or to the insulation layer? (Can you tell I'm just starting out??) Finally, is there a particular adhesive that people like to go with. Any product names?? I need to re-adhere the seam tape on the interior and I'm not sure what to go with. I should start a new thread with all my product questions! Thanks. I am in Vancouver every once in a long while!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #16

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Use the 3 m command Velcro strips for the clock. That way you can change the battery. I use those strips all over my fiberglass hull. Love them. No damage when I remove them

Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #17

Name: Suvi
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiwhne View Post
Use the 3 m command Velcro strips for the clock. That way you can change the battery. I use those strips all over my fiberglass hull. Love them. No damage when I remove them

Ah! Velcro. Yes... Much better than my idea.

We adhered the backsplash layer right to the fibre glass. Insulation layer everywhere in the trailer but here. We used a couple different kinds of adhesive - I will need to check which one we thought worked the best. For putting the hull lining on, we used a spray adhesive and one was DEFINITELY better than the other. For this part, we used a basic construction adhesive applied with a caulking gun. Nothing too fancy.

Also, no worries about the questions. This forum is an excellent place to get ideas and help when starting out. Really great people who share your interest and are happy to help and completely supportive!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #18

Name: Josh
Maine
What did you use for the hull liner? I have the original ensolite insulation on the inside of my Boler, however the seams are poorly done and I am considering covering it all or replacing the insulation. Yours looks great!

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978_Boler1300 View Post
What did you use for the hull liner? I have the original ensolite insulation on the inside of my Boler, however the seams are poorly done and I am considering covering it all or replacing the insulation. Yours looks great!

Thanks!

Hey there I covered my grandpa's original insulation job (done in the early 70s with 3/4 " foam) with a hull lining I got online. Basically, our thought was that if the insulation was still good, we could make do with it for several more years (although in time I would love to do a full restore of the little egg). We used a spray adhesive for it and followed some instructions we got off YouTube for applying the same to boats. It looks great except for in the corners, which are tricky and we never did find a really professional method for applying it there. Ended up just cutting it at straight as we could and applying a seam. We tried both the 3M and the LePage adhesives and found the LePage to be far superior. Much easier to work with and more time to manipulate the lining. Took about 5-6 cans for the whole thing, I think. Hope that helps!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #20

Name: Josh
Maine
Thanks for the advice regarding the adhesive.

How did you create a tight fit around windows, cabinets, and other edges? Did you remove any of the fixtures and redo the rivets for the windows and cabinets with the hull liner underneath?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #21

British Columbia
Well, I didn't really remove anything. I went right up to the windows, cut the hull lining a little long, and then tucked and glued it in. I used a putty knife in some places to tuck it. Beside the closet, I just went right up to the corner of the wall on that side and glued it. And on the cabinet side, because we were installing a new back splash, we cu the hull lining long and then it just runs under the back splash a little bit. Like I said, I am a newbie so probably not the most refined job out there but it is doing pretty good. But if you want to see a real professional job, there are pics from someone on this forum that I looked at. He makes mine look like a junkyard dog ... I can't remember the name, but I you search for "hull lining" under the mods and renos chain, you should find it.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #22

British Columbia
Oops. Premature send. Anyhow - hope that helps!! Let me know if there is more I can provide by way of information

Tags
boler