My Little Project - 1969 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Name: Suvi
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
My Little Project - 1969 Boler

Well, I inherited my grandpa's 1969 Boler earlier this year. It hadn't been moved in 15+ years and was in a bit of a state. With the help of a friend and this forum, I managed to get it into working order and although there are far more elaborate renos on this forum, I am pretty proud of this family gem. Here are a few pics. And thanks for all the tips! Never done anything like this before and all the help and expertise was fantastic!

A couple specifics:

1. After looking on this website, we decided to put hull lining directly over my grampy's still functional 70's insulation job. It was a learning process for sure and it is not perfect. We learned that the quality of glue is CRITICAL, and a good spray adhesive makes the job so much easier. I love the cozy feeling the hull liner gives.

2. There is power in this trailer, but we opted for a number of LED battery lights as well (powered ones will come later, under the cupboards). My Favourite ones are the magnetic long ones on the roof. Simple and out of the way, and you can grab them to use as a flashlight at night if needed.

3. I made all the curtains and reupholstered the cushions. Someone on this forum said they used pine would and staples and I found this easy to do, although I did sew the corners for a clean tailored look. I used microbial fabric on the bottom and automotive upholstery on the tops.

4. We took out the little stove - primarily because it terrified me. Who knows how safe it was? My friend made a metal box I storage that got screwed in through the bottom and sits more or less on too of the icebox. It's a great additional storage compartment. An ikea cutting board with a fitted piece screwed on the bottom fit like a glove with no trimming.

5. My friend also designed an made the metal backsplash. After checking out options, I was worried about cost, but he was gracious enough to design and make this. We attached it to a 3/4 inch plywood and installed it, then attached these great ikea bars and storage units. They can be pulled off and stored quickly for travel and then set up again easily upon arrival.

6. I just need to point out the little quilted patchwork that my mom did. She loves this little trailer as well because it was her dad's and this little thing is a quirky bonus treasure, complete with my dog lounging in front with a cocktail.

So that's it! It's my little home away from home and I am so pleased. Looking forward to joining a meet up soon and learning more from all of you! Thanks again!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618533.641118.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	73292Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618565.340616.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	73293Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618584.893936.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	73294Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618604.694677.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	73295Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618620.283104.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	73296Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618645.126454.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	73297Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404618667.710228.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	73298

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
sooveroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
It's a flat-top Boler!

Great updates! I really like the upholstery and kitchen.

Happy camping
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Very nice and simple renovations. What a difference :

The flat tops are rare. Do you know the VIN number? It should be three digits and located on the upper part of the trailer tung. Passenger side near the body. As far as can be found out there were only around two hundred of this mold made.
Thanks for the pics and enjoy
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Classy renovations! I even like where you get to park it, under that cute arbor. It would make really cute guest accommodations.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Fabulous job, Suvi. I love it!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #6

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Soovi what a lovely and simple remodel. I hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' a few ideas from you.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Alberta
Nice!!
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
This is an absolutely precious little trailer. Lots of love of family went into that. You did very nice work; functional and attractive. Nothing is perfect for long so don't worry about that. You love it and you should be proud and i am proud for you!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
This is an absolutely precious little trailer. Lots of love of family went into that. You did very nice work; functional and attractive. Nothing is perfect for long so don't worry about that. You love it and you should be proud and i am proud for you!

Thank you so much! Very kind of you. It's a treasure, for sure. Excited to use it more than work on it now ;-)

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #10

Name: T.
Ontario
Love it. I'd love to hear how you mounted your plywood/ backsplash?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
TBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdy View Post
Love it. I'd love to hear how you mounted your plywood/ backsplash?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Thanks, TBirdy! Probably not the most sophisticated mounting job, but we just used adhesive on the 3/4 inch piece of plywood, which was wrapped with the metal sheet you see. From there, just screwed on the ikea components to the plywood. Probably not going to be way to remove if I ever want to take it back off but I think I am going to be happy with this for a long while

Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Ontario
Right, but how are people mounting things (like your plywood backsplash board) to the actual inside walls of the Boler? I'd like to hang a wall clock for example but how to do so with no damage to the fiberglass? Thanks! I'd love to see yours in person someday, what city are you in?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #13

British Columbia
Oh, sorry. Maybe wasn't clear. We attached it directly to the fibreglass with construction adhesive. Very easy to do, but like I said, no sure how hard it will be to remove.

For a clock, what about trying some of those 3M stickys. Not sure if you know what I mean, but they are the ones that usually come with the hooks. I am thinking that if you used just the two sided sticky piece that comes with the hook (I have bought just this part separately). Then you would be able to mount the clock but also pull it off easily if you decide you don't like it.

I'm in Vancouver. Happy to show off my little egg if you're in the area.

S

Old 07-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you are going to use the 3M Command adhesive pad without the hook part, keep in mind that you have to be able to grab the tab and pull it straight down. It will stretch and release. If you try to pull it away from the wall ( toward you ), it will likely damage the wall.
Above all, read the instructions and save them for removal.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #15

Ontario
I thought of those 3M hooks. They seem to work well enough in our home. Just two last questions (ha!) did you mount straight to the fiberglass interior or to the insulation layer? (Can you tell I'm just starting out??) Finally, is there a particular adhesive that people like to go with. Any product names?? I need to re-adhere the seam tape on the interior and I'm not sure what to go with. I should start a new thread with all my product questions! Thanks. I am in Vancouver every once in a long while!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #16

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Use the 3 m command Velcro strips for the clock. That way you can change the battery. I use those strips all over my fiberglass hull. Love them. No damage when I remove them

Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiwhne View Post
Use the 3 m command Velcro strips for the clock. That way you can change the battery. I use those strips all over my fiberglass hull. Love them. No damage when I remove them

Ah! Velcro. Yes... Much better than my idea.

We adhered the backsplash layer right to the fibre glass. Insulation layer everywhere in the trailer but here. We used a couple different kinds of adhesive - I will need to check which one we thought worked the best. For putting the hull lining on, we used a spray adhesive and one was DEFINITELY better than the other. For this part, we used a basic construction adhesive applied with a caulking gun. Nothing too fancy.

Also, no worries about the questions. This forum is an excellent place to get ideas and help when starting out. Really great people who share your interest and are happy to help and completely supportive!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #18

Name: Josh
Maine
What did you use for the hull liner? I have the original ensolite insulation on the inside of my Boler, however the seams are poorly done and I am considering covering it all or replacing the insulation. Yours looks great!

Thanks!
1978_Boler1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978_Boler1300 View Post
What did you use for the hull liner? I have the original ensolite insulation on the inside of my Boler, however the seams are poorly done and I am considering covering it all or replacing the insulation. Yours looks great!

Thanks!

Hey there I covered my grandpa's original insulation job (done in the early 70s with 3/4 " foam) with a hull lining I got online. Basically, our thought was that if the insulation was still good, we could make do with it for several more years (although in time I would love to do a full restore of the little egg). We used a spray adhesive for it and followed some instructions we got off YouTube for applying the same to boats. It looks great except for in the corners, which are tricky and we never did find a really professional method for applying it there. Ended up just cutting it at straight as we could and applying a seam. We tried both the 3M and the LePage adhesives and found the LePage to be far superior. Much easier to work with and more time to manipulate the lining. Took about 5-6 cans for the whole thing, I think. Hope that helps!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #20

Name: Josh
Maine
Thanks for the advice regarding the adhesive.

How did you create a tight fit around windows, cabinets, and other edges? Did you remove any of the fixtures and redo the rivets for the windows and cabinets with the hull liner underneath?
1978_Boler1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler