My New Bigfoot 21RB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Blair,
It's not necessarily a king-of-the-hill feeling that folks are looking for. In my case, I don't have the experience that many of the folks here have with RVing; and I'm reluctant to spend the limited amount of free time that I have gaining that experience in any way that's harder than it has to be. So going with a brand (e.g., Bigfoot) that seems to be (after a bit of research that includes rejecting Airstream and listening to the undercurrent of wisdom on this site) high quality is hopefully worth the additional expense.

There is the very real risk that the $ doesn't buy what I'm after. For example, I ordered the integrated Onan generator because I figure that Bigfoot knows power requirements of a typical user better than I do and that way I don't have to spend the time figuring out capacities and designing a monitor/control system. That might turn out to be not true. But I'm gonna have fun finding out, and I won't get too angry if it's not perfect.

That said, the verdict is still out on the "buy-premium-with-most-all-the-options" approach (it's worked for me in the past). I wouldn't recommend my approach to anyone other than someone situated the same as me, and the jury is still out on whether it'll work with RVs.

Guess I'm just spouting this stuff to see what, if any, reaction it gets - and then learn from the reaction.

Mike
Hi Mike D.

I am planning the following modifications for my coming in March Bigfoot 21RB:

- Adding 2 X 27 size batteries behind the main battery.

- I did not ordered Bigfoot's BAL stabilizing jacks. I designed mounting brackets and my dealer will install BAL 22" C-Jacks. I will add 4 BAL power drives.

- I am designing and will build the Soundproof Enclosure for the Bigfoot's Onan

under-floor mount and will add Onan Microlite 2500 by myself.

- I ordered moving TV bracket 4" to the left so 15-19 inch TV will be within the wall without protruding into the walking space at its resting position.

- I am planning to replace 45 amps Parallax 7300 converter with the new model XADC 80A converter by Xantrex. It will not boil batteries with its 3 phase charging. It should fit into the lower cavity of the 7300 single charge phase PPS converter.

If you want more info send me an e-mail.

George.

<span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">This Topic was split off to bring it to a more appropiate discussion area.</span>
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake

Click image for larger version

Name:	sanders3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	11393

George,

We traveled nearly 4,000 over the first two weeks of 2008 (Port Towsend, WA. to Gila Bend, AZ and back to California) to pick up our new to us Bigfoot and try it out.

We have discovered several things that need fixing. I am tuning up a used B25RQ that I just bought. It sat for a year and has been plugged in for several months to keep it from Freezing.

Also, I have a 2400 Yamaha I hope to mount somehwere and I hope replace the burned out battery with two 6 volt, 300 Ah, AGM batteries.

There are a few other fixes we need to do as well.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi Mike D.

I am planning the following modifications for my coming in March Bigfoot 21RB:

- Adding 2 X 27 size batteries behind the main battery.

-
If you want more info send me an e-mail.

George.

<span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">This Topic was split off to bring it to a more appropiate discussion area.</span>
++++++++++++++++++++

George, if you did not order that front storage pod, you may have a challenge getting two additional large batteries under the standard glass cover. I told Bigfoot that I had planned to install two-6 Volt golf car batteries on the tongue, and they assured me that it was possible - they were also to relocated the propane tank tray to accomplish my 2 6 volts. The dealer was unable to install my two 6 volts without me loosing the two - 30 lb propane tanks, and replacing with two - 20 lb tanks, and also having to relocated the propane tanks and instll new ready rod, etc. I was not pleased to lose 1/3 of my propane capacity.

Great looking trailer, Mike!

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Nice looking trailer, Mike! Is that a Tundra pulling it?
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Nice looking trailer, Mike! Is that a Tundra pulling it?
NO, It is a Dodge 3500, 4WD, Turbo Diesel, with a Jake Brake that Lori bought for me for Father's day. It is truly a fun truck to drive. Lori calls it a BAT (Big A** Truck)

On our way up to Washington to get the Bigfoot, it got 20.5 mpg. Towing it drops to 16.2 mpg. and less depending on the head winds.

One of the problems we are wanting to fix is the tailgate can't open all the way with the trailer tongue jack.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
++++++++++++++++++++

George, if you did not order that front storage pod, you may have a challenge getting two additional large batteries under the standard glass cover. I told Bigfoot that I had planned to install two-6 Volt golf car batteries on the tongue, and they assured me that it was possible - they were also to relocated the propane tank tray to accomplish my 2 6 volts. The dealer was unable to install my two 6 volts without me loosing the two - 30 lb propane tanks, and replacing with two - 20 lb tanks, and also having to relocated the propane tanks and instll new ready rod, etc. I was not pleased to lose 1/3 of my propane capacity.

Great looking trailer, Mike!

Rick B
Thank you for the warning. Dealer told about this modification of 2 extra batteries. I assumed size 27. Apparently they have done this type of modification before. I actually did not check the dimensions yet. I will check it out. I did not order extra storage; 2’ extra would make this trailer 23’6”, not good for me.

Thank you.

George.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #7

George:

Another consideration - microwave oven. Bigfoot wanted $350 Cdn for a 1.2 cu ft Dometic microwave installed. I believe that Bigfoot prices for some add-ons are high given the resurgence of the Canadian dollar (perhaps option price sheet was prepared when Cdn$ was worth somewhat less). I ordered my 25FB without cupboard doors for the microwave, thinking I was add at a later date. Fox Xmas I received a gift certificate for a RV dealer, close to where I spent Xmas. The dealer had the identical microwave on sale for less than 1/2 the cost, but I had to order the trim kit for $17.00. I received the trim kit, installed it, plugged the microwave into its pre-wired plug (installed by Bigfoot), and alas, a 2" gap at the top of the microwave.

I checked with Bigfoot and I learned that I needed to order a trim piece form the 'parts department'. My dealer did the order and I have not received the trim or whether I would be charged. I see now why they charge $350 for the microwave installed, when you can buy the identical unit for $100. You would think that if the plug was installed and no cupboard doors were installed, would not it naturally follow that a microwave may be installed one day?

George, this is to suggest that if you think you might do something that Bigfoot has an an option, you may want to investigate.

Rick

Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
George:

Another consideration - microwave oven. Bigfoot wanted $350 Cdn for a 1.2 cu ft Dometic microwave installed. I believe that Bigfoot prices for some add-ons are high given the resurgence of the Canadian dollar (perhaps option price sheet was prepared when Cdn$ was worth somewhat less). I ordered my 25FB without cupboard doors for the microwave, thinking I was add at a later date. Fox Xmas I received a gift certificate for a RV dealer, close to where I spent Xmas. The dealer had the identical microwave on sale for less than 1/2 the cost, but I had to order the trim kit for $17.00. I received the trim kit, installed it, plugged the microwave into its pre-wired plug (installed by Bigfoot), and alas, a 2" gap at the top of the microwave.

I checked with Bigfoot and I learned that I needed to order a trim piece form the 'parts department'. My dealer did the order and I have not received the trim or whether I would be charged. I see now why they charge $350 for the microwave installed, when you can buy the identical unit for $100. You would think that if the plug was installed and no cupboard doors were installed, would not it naturally follow that a microwave may be installed one day?

George, this is to suggest that if you think you might do something that Bigfoot has an an option, you may want to investigate.

Rick
Thank you for the warning. I decided not to order Microwave from Bigfoot but ordered regular cabinet door. I bought 0.7 cu. ft. GE Microwave from Sears for $49 and plan to place it inside the cabinet, I hope it will work. I asked to run the speaker wires from the radio location to the front cabinet for the whopping $150. Is seems that any change to their routine manufacturing processes cost $150.

Some of Bigfoot’s option costs seem to be designed to turn customer away; LCD TV - $1320, Microwave $280. I bought MR1640 Boss Marine Radio with weather channels for $150 versus Bigfoot’s stereo for the gigantic $830.

So, you are correct, some of the Bigfoot options need to be diligently reviewed before a purchase.

George.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you for the warning. I decided not to order Microwave from Bigfoot but ordered regular cabinet door. I bought 0.7 cu. ft. GE Microwave from Sears for $49 and plan to place it inside the cabinet, I hope it will work. I asked to run the speaker wires from the radio location to the front cabinet for the whopping $150. Is seems that any change to their routine manufacturing processes cost $150.

Some of Bigfoot’s option costs seem to be designed to turn customer away; LCD TV - $1320, Microwave $280. I bought MR1640 Boss Marine Radio with weather channels for $150 versus Bigfoot’s stereo for the gigantic $830.

So, you are correct, some of the Bigfoot options need to be diligently reviewed before a purchase.

George.
I paid about $800 for the CD/DVD player, which generously came with 2 speakers, and a remote control (it also has weather channels am/frm radio, and plays mp3's). I think the option list of my trailer was over $10,000, probably more than many people pay for their trailers.

I enjoy the quality and lower production volumes, but some of the options are priced high. I think your idea of the smaller microwave inside the cupboard is a great idea. By the way, Bigfoot did not reduce the price for deleting the cabinet doors or underbed storage. I hope they will not charge for that 2 inch wood molding
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
I hope they will not charge for that 2 inch wood molding
I got the 2 inch wood piece from my dealer, and installed this past weekend. I was happy that Bigfoot also provided the two front baggage door assemblies, as the paint was peeling off the corner of the molding. I think it was a poor prime job. If that 1 foot of snow would only melt
Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rick, George & Mike,

I have enjoyed this post since we have just purchsed a new to us "2006" 25B21RB Bigfoot. I also appreciated Mike's comments on his TV, because we just purchased a Dodge 2500 Diesel to pull this trailer. I will be adding some after market rims & tires to the truck and my wife calls it a BAT. She got a kick out of reading your comments. I also appreciate the mileage information. I expect it will get better mileage than my 1999 Dodge 1500 gas 4x4, which by the way is for sale and soon to be posted on craigs list.

Are any of you on the Bigfoot owners forum? We are thinking about joining.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #12

Dean and Mary,

Congratulation on your purchase, my trailer should be done on March 6th plus transfer time from Canada to Sandy Oregon. We can’t wait.

The following changes and addition are waiting to be installed:

- 15.4” Polaroid HDTV with built in DVD.

- Onan Microlite 2500 LP

o ATS301 by PPS Automatic Power Transfer Swtch.

o Onan start/stop switch with the timer.

- Front and rear BAL C-jacks 22” stabilizing jacks with BAL electric power drives and wireless remote.

- Barker 3500lb tongue jack.

- 750lb Pro Series SC Weight Distribution with Friction Sway Control by Reese. They are similar to Equalizer but use steel to friction pad friction versus steel on steel friction as on Equalizer. I will use 99 Ford Diesel to pull it.

- 2 additional 24 batteries behind the LP tanks.

- Xantrex 80 AMPS 3 phase Converter in lieu of PPS 7300 single voltage charger/converter. Xantrex should fit directly into the PPS 7300 space.

- AIMS 1500W Full Sine Digital Inverter to power Microwave and outlets.

o ATS301

- BOSS radio with wired remote and weather band.

- Xantrex Link 10 battery monitor.

I just wonder how long will take for me to finish all of these fun projects. I am thinking about joining Bigfoot Forum as well, I like this one a lot.

George.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Dean and Mary, George too,

We joined the Bigfoot owners last year. There is still time to get in on the annual rally (September) in Branson, MO, if you're interested. I don't think the BOCI Forum is open to non-members.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Rick, George & Mike,

Are any of you on the Bigfoot owners forum? We are thinking about joining.
++++++++++++++++

I got a one year complimentary membership by purchasing our new trailer.

As of two weeks ago, we now have a new tow vehicle - a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 litre, with a towing capacity of about 10,000 lbs. We have just installed our P3 Tekonsha brake controller, but the trailer is in about a foot of snow, so might be awhile before we get it out. I am going to order the Toyota telescoping tow mirrors and install before we head off.

I am happy as I left my two - 6 volt batteries in the trailer all winter and periodically cleaned the snow off the 80 watt solar panel. When checking voltage, at no time did it drop below 12.3 volts, and we had temperatures as low as -30C. I think having the battery disconnect helped in removing any battery draw.

Looking forward to the new TV and trailer combo and plan to head into Oregon in mid April.

Looks like quite a project list, George. I use the same WD setup as my former stick built, being a 1,000 lb hitch, and moved my 2,000 lb Atwood power jack to the Bigfoot and wired a switch into the front compartment.

Rick
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #15

I picked-up my Bigfoot 2500 21RB on Saturday and just finalized installation of 3 X 27 batteries. Bigfoot redesigned LP/Battery front holding tray making this installation job much easier. Dealer run gauge 2 cables and I mounted the batteries using West Marine Battery trays ($15 ea.) See attached pictures.

George.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1736.JPG   IMG_1737.JPG  

IMG_1739.JPG  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
I picked-up my Bigfoot 2500 21RB on Saturday and just finalized installation of 3 X 27 batteries. Bigfoot redesigned LP/Battery front holding tray making this installation job much easier. Dealer run gauge 2 cables and I mounted the batteries using West Marine Battery trays ($15 ea.) See attached pictures.

George.
Great job with the battery install, George. I had hoped to get the two 6 volts where you got your two 12 volts, but in doing so, there was not sufficient room for the two 30 lb propane tanks, so I have two 20 lb tanks, mounted mostly fore and aft.
Attached Thumbnails
battery_install.jpg  
Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I picked-up my Bigfoot 2500 21RB on Saturday and just finalized installation of 3 X 27 batteries.
George.
George, on our 2000 mile trip I noticed that one of the battery cases were scuffing against the gelcoat of the trailer, resulting in a white powder. I think that as I have the 6 volt batteries, they are higher than yours and will not go back any further. I may consider the 27 series route. What capacity did you get your's in and are you planning to install a switch to isolate any of the batteries?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #18

Quote:
George, on our 2000 mile trip I noticed that one of the battery cases were scuffing against the gelcoat of the trailer, resulting in a white powder. I think that as I have the 6 volt batteries, they are higher than yours and will not go back any further. I may consider the 27 series route. What capacity did you get your's in and are you planning to install a switch to isolate any of the batteries?

Thanks
I used dealer's stock Interstate 27M batteries Interstate with 180 min. Reserve Capacity at 25A. Interstate is not using Amp Hours capacity in their specifications and without knowing the Peukert number for this battery it is impossible to calculate Amp Hours from Reserve Capacity. Most likely it is 105ah.

Dealer connected all batteries in parallel with gauge #2 cables penetrating the chassis near the back of the PPS converter. I replaced the PPS converter with 80A Xantrex Xantrex and connected its
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
description using original Xantrex' brackets. Xantrex fit perfectly into the PPS 7300 inverter box.

See attached installation diagram. With the exception of Jacks remote control and control panel everything is installed and works as designed. 3 AC power transfers between shore power, generator and inverter are simple.

I installed the Onan generator and am very please with it. Sound measurements are:

In, closed door, at idle 56dBA
23' outside, at idle 57dBA

23' outside, with air-conditioning running 61dBA

It is not as quiet as the Honda 3000 Honda3000_measurement but LPG and pushbutton conveniences are worthwhile to bear this extra noise.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter_generator_power_transfer_4_25_08.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot