My ParkLiner has got Solar! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Conrad, I got the largest Cable Clam they had, and since the installer gets to drill the hole in the rubber plug I just drilled 2 smaller holes, wet the wire and pulled it through( very tight fit) I did have some dicor and put a glob of it on top where the wires passed through.

Ive used butyl tape before and never had any issues with leaks. I bevel the hole and wrap the butyl tape around the bolt so when it gets tightened down it gets pushed down into the beveled part and makes a good seal...I guess time will tell lol.

When I have to redo my windows I'm going to use butyl tape as well.

The meter came with/ the charge controller (plugs into it) so I can see how many amps of solar energy is going into the battery as well as what the battery charge state is at.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #22

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
OK, I thought these came with holes pre-made. Thanks for the tip. Beveling the hole makes sense too. I'm sure it won't leak. We are both sailors so we know about leaks--Chinese water torture that can be prevented.

Keep us posted on your charging etc.

I'm playing with my new Cellular amp and so far it doesn't seem to do anything. The over long and pencil thin high loss wire is not helping.

And I can't find my other WiFi amp and antenna. Oh well onto the next thing. Dyeing my Volvo wagon rear carpet.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Pennsylvania
I have approached this in a low tech fashion. I had an old Uni-solar 32 watt panel that has been used on our sailboat since 1996 for our IsoTherm refrigeration. (One or two of these have allowed us to maintain batteries with refrigeration, water pumps, lights, etc.)

Attached a female 7 pin socket (at appropriate positive/negative pins) to the wire coming from the solar panel. Plug this into the male 7-pin from "Parker", then flop the solar panel on the ground in any sunny spot or prop it up to catch direct sunshine. Appears to keep the batteries topped off without issue. We had Chandler install the battery monitor option so it is easy to check voltages. 32 watts is not enough to fry to batteries, so a controller is not necessary.
Capn Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #24

New Jersey
Registry
Well the roof mounted panel is doing fine. When I retire in too many years I will have a combination of roof mounted and portable panels for max solar gain. Most of my trips are 3~4 days a t a time. I'm happy with it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #25

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Deryk, you left out the one picture I need to see. Where did you go through the floor? From underneath the trailer, it looks like the best place is just inside the closet close to the door. But if I was off even an inch it might not work and it's hard to measure right there with the curve.

Where did you mount the charge controller? If in the closet, which wall?

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #26

New Jersey
Registry
Huck, my controller is on the floor of my closet....back corner I cut a piece of wood to cover it and added legs to be taller then the controller for ventilation. It has a monitor that I mounted above the closet.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice job Deryk, maybe Parkliner will offer a solar package now.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #28

New Jersey
Registry
They should, its a great thing to have. I run my MaxxAir fan alot to keep it comfortable inside and the solar panel pretty much keeps the batteries topped off. If I was full-timing I would add at least a 2nd 100 watt panel. This summer has been relatively decent temperature so haven't needed to run my ac at all (so far lol).

Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bolt covers

Deryk
In am earlier post you mentioned hiding your panel 1/4 " mounting bolts. One option is to use commode bolt covers. I found some smaller ones that are used for RV and marine commodes.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Deryk, In an earlier post you mentioned hiding your panel 1/4" mounting bolts. One option is to use commode bolt covers. I found some smaller ones that are used for RV and marine commodes. Eddie
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #31

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Great job, Deryk.

I prefer to keep my panel uninstalled. I find I move it 3/4 times a day in parks with trees to catch the sun. There are days where it will rain or be cloudy, then all of a sudden, full sun, and I go grab it to top off. That's the northeast weather for yuh.

Just something to think about before you put holes in your roof.

My Working 100W Solar Panel System: Made It Myself For $270 - General After-Market Accessories Forum - The Casita Club Forums
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #32

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Sue....Im ok with the panel on the roof...no worries about it getting stolen or anything. I might eventually add a 2nd portable panel when 1 day down the road my friedge dies...might go for the 12volt efficient models and then the 2nd panel will be very handy lol. But for now I am happy with the setup.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #33

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I agree with Sue for the reasons she mentioned, and another big one - keeping the collector surface clean. I don't know about you folks, but the amount of stuff we get here just overnight would be enough to reduce efficiency the next day!

Of course, right now I can't afford diddly anyways!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Frank,
I looked up the Parkliner. Niiiiice! A little longer and heavier than my Patriot but alot more room and a lighter tongue. Amazing little thing. I like the 30 gal waste tank. Totally jealous. My Patriot holds realistically 7. Yeah. 7. Not sure about the toilet thing. Never had a portable one. No comment, there. I like my regular marine head/ blackwater tank.

Super little egg. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Are there used ones kicking around, or is it a new company?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #35

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjunkysue View Post
Frank,
I looked up the Parkliner. Niiiiice! A little longer and heavier than my Patriot but alot more room and a lighter tongue. Amazing little thing. I like the 30 gal waste tank. Totally jealous. My Patriot holds realistically 7. Yeah. 7. Not sure about the toilet thing. Never had a portable one. No comment, there. I like my regular marine head/ blackwater tank.

Super little egg. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Are there used ones kicking around, or is it a new company?
Compared to a couple old Sunlines we had the ParkLiner tows like a dream Sue. We love it. You won't find many used ones around, as the company just started in early 2012. One came up for sale in CA recently, but sold pretty quick. That one was #5, mine is #6. I think they've maybe made 80 trailers, but am not sure.

This weekend started on a low water drain at the freshwater tank, but now am wondering if I should put another one someplace else. Also started putting in Bali shades to replace the curtains. Will finish this stuff up over the next week or two. Next camping trip is 2nd weekend in September.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #36

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjunkysue View Post
Great job, Deryk.

I prefer to keep my panel uninstalled. I find I move it 3/4 times a day in parks with trees to catch the sun. There are days where it will rain or be cloudy, then all of a sudden, full sun, and I go grab it to top off. That's the northeast weather for yuh.

Just something to think about before you put holes in your roof.

My Working 100W Solar Panel System: Made It Myself For $270 - General After-Market Accessories Forum - The Casita Club Forums
Jazz, in the thread you posted above there was discussion of hooking up wires backwards and blowing something and marking the wires to prevent that. Of course marking positive and negative is always good practice but on my panels the factory MC$ connectors are made with one male and one female. The other connections would have to be the same way and this prevents hooking them up backwards. FYI
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Dear Timberwolf,
Right. That's what I told that woman. I think she'll try again but this time follow the + -!

Sue

Tags
parkliner, solar