My ParkLiner has got Solar! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My ParkLiner has got Solar!

The conversation started here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-64138.html

Well today its installed and suckin juice from the sun. I know it won't run my Air Conditioner, but will keep my batteries topped off. I do want to try before my next trip to plug the trailer in and turn the fridge on let it cool down full for a day then try driving there with it running on 12 volt and see how the batteries hold up.
Attached Thumbnails
9.jpg   1.jpg  

3.jpg   5.jpg  

7.jpg   11.jpg  

12.jpg   13.jpg  

14.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

New Jersey
Registry
And I did the install all by myself, so it doable as a 1 person job!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Looks great. Come do mine!

A couple of questions.
  • Why did you go through shower?
  • How did you fasten everything down?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
I went through the shower because if it ever leaked where the wires pass through it will drip into the shower pan lol. Its bolted in place, and I beveled the edges of the holes and used butyl tape to water proof it.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I went through the shower because if it ever leaked where the wires pass through it will drip into the shower pan lol.
That's what I was guessing.

I really need to mount mine, but haven't got the guts. One day, I will wake up and decide that today is a good day for installing the panel. My brain seems to tell me when I have enough knowledge to tackle something I have never done before. But I will be asking a lot of questions!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
How about some specifics Deryk? Like part #s, descriptions (i.e., watts) and where you got the stuff. What size fasteners? I assume they're all stainless steel? What's the gauge, and where did you get that? Why did you show your battery cover off?

You might want to rig up a cleaner thing on a pole. Horizontally mounted solar panels lose effectiveness pretty quickly in the great outdoors, and I would imagine it would be a pain to carry around a ladder when you're on the road!

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
That's what I was guessing.

I really need to mount mine, but haven't got the guts. One day, I will wake up and decide that today is a good day for installing the panel. My brain seems to tell me when I have enough knowledge to tackle something I have never done before. But I will be asking a lot of questions!
Solar panel install is one of the easiest and best mods you can make to the trailer. Less than half a day to install.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Hey Frank,

If you check the link in my first post it takes you to my initial questions and I have the link for where and which panel package I got....I'm at work and on my phone so I can't easily cut and paste. The bolts, washers and locknuts are 1/4" from HD. I grabbed an extra set of the z clips for the edge facing the tongue because I was concerned about wind trying to lift it...better to be safe then sorry. I had the battery cover off because I wired it directly to the battery. I drilled a hole in the closet floor to run the wires out to the battery box. Its all 10 gauge stranded copper wire that came with the kit. Out of the two 20 foot lengths I used about 16 feet of each . Only maybe a 6 foot run from the controller to the batteries.

It wasn't a hard job installing it....yes I get nervous drilling holes through my roof lol but done it before on the boat and I am a big fan of butyl tape! I had just enough left over from installing my MaxxAir hatch to do his job.

Oh and I actually do carry a small ladder with me for putting the awning pole up on the roof lol....had to since I couldn't stand on the trunk that I used to have on the back of my Parkliner. I probably could stand on the tailgate of my pickup but the ladder is easier. It also serves double duty to hold the blue water jug when I'm refilling my water tank.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Virginia
How did you get inside the headliner?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
I drilled right through it. Inside the cabin I'm going to either glue in a small circlet of the carpet that's in the drivers side settee or stick something decorative over the head of the bolt to camouflage it. In the bathroom I'm just going to paint the heads white. I had no easy way to hide them.

A reason I ordered that particular panel was it wasn't as long as most 100 watt solar panels...it's shorter and a bit wider. We only have about 46" from the escape hatch to the front of the Parkliner. I also didn't want it too close to the front so it wasn't as obvious I have a panel on the roof. So take careful measurements before you order one or you might not be able to roof mount it.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Deryk, I'm proud of you! Great job, let us know how it works for you while camping.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #12

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Very cool Deryk!
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:58 AM   #13

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
solar

Deryk nice job hope to see you and your parkliner this aug in NY. Good idea putting wiring through bath area no problem with leaks. Where did you buy your kit ? It looks like it will fit our Snoozy
I'm wondering if 3 m 5200 would work to hold down clamps for solar panel your thought s coming from a marine background then use the blue sea cable clam to bring wires into snoozy?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Here is the link for the panel I bought... 12 Volt 100 Watt Solar Panel Kit Solarblvd

I looked at several but the dimensions of this one fit my rooftop the best. I didn't want it to close to the front edge of my ParkLiner so it isn't as noticeable up there.

I thought about using the 3m super strength tape to hold it down and decided to bolt it inplace and use butyl tape to seal it. I found out about butyl tape years back that higher end boat manuf were using it to put in deck hardware and has a longer lifespan then most caulks.... well time will tell lol.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #16

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Awesome work..... May be on my agenda for next year!
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Good for you Deryk, and you can sew too. Very impressed!!!!!
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
You will love it.

I could not tel if the battery connect is were to the saw battery with jumpers the other battery or split.

With dual batteries the positive wire goes to one and the negative to the other. The batteries last longer that way
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
I like to consider myself a renaissance man.... can do a little bit of everything lol

and yes I have the positive wire going from the charge controller to one battery and the negative to the other battery.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Cable Clam. I had not seen a cable gland that would do two cables at once. I've used the duplex round wire--two conductors in one round sheath to pull two wires through one hole--that wire is very pricey though. It was cheaper to use two cable glands than duplex round wire. I am in the planning stages of adding some external antennas for my MiFi, WiFi, two Ham Radio antennas, and possibly a TV antenna. I'll be needing more cable glands. I also did a temp install of a solar panel on my boat. I will use your style cable glands for that.

Buytl Tape: I used buytl tape on my solar install. I am debating going back and trimming the excess butyl tape with a plastic knife, and then putting a fillet of dicor around the edges. All my old seams show cracking which I've filled with Dicor, and it appears to be old buytl tape. Are you planning to put any Dicor on the edges of the mount?

Sealing: I also want to go around and re-bed all my windows too. I've seem some signs of cracking on the seals, but no signs of leaks fortunately. Summer is the time for me to start doing windows over one by one.

In any event, you will love your solar. I don't recognize the meter. What does it do. I just discovered the Victron make a more affordable battery monitor, and I believe it stores history also and that can be displayed on a laptop. I am researching that, as I'd love to have documentation showing the charging characteristic of my solar install. A charge monitor may be a waste of money, because I've found I can more or less ignore my power use. Still it is reassuring to know how much is in the bank.

Victron Battery Monitor I just read about. Note 10.000 Amps in the specification is 10,0000 Amps. This device can monitor anything.

http://tinyurl.com/mn4d848
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner, solar