My Solar Install - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #29

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
6V 220 Ahr Golf cart batteries are available at Costco. Last year, in the fall, they were $69 each, for about a month.

If you ever come to Calgary, I can give you as many 74 Ahr group 24 batteries as you want. I have filled up all the storage space that I will use on batteries and I no longer go for the free ones that I can get.
Gell Batteries

I believe that they are MK brand:
MK Battery: HME Mobility Products

I suspect that there would be a source of these for free, in every city. It probably just depends on who you know.

Those are great prices. I would love some.. Heck, I'd love to see Calgary.

Excuse all the typos. I can't see what I type sometimes. It runs off the screen.

Why are they free? Are they take outs?

Old 03-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I agree with everything you say. I wish I could use the Trojan batteries. They are powerful, relatively light for their capacity. However, they would be impossible to maintain. My battery box is accessible from the outside it's about a 1' x 1' square in about 22 inches deep I would have to disconnect all the cables and remove both batteries just inspect the fluid level. Plus there is metal trim running around the outside and I'd have to extra care to see they did not short out when removing them. Way too much work for routine maintenance.
These might work for you.
https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-wa...e-rv/qwik-fill

Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #31

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
AGMs are great if you can stand the initial cost. I've used Concorde Lifelines in my electric boats. Good service and great tech support from Concorde. When I ran one flat over the winter ( my fault ) Concorde lent me a special ($3000) charger to restore it. They even paid to freight!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #32

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I've used the 6 volt version of these for 3 years now:

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill

Works great, but it adds some cost.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Those are great prices. I would love some.. Heck, I'd love to see Calgary.

Excuse all the typos. I can't see what I type sometimes. It runs off the screen.

Why are they free? Are they take outs?
As explained in the link, they are free, because my brother works at a place that both installs elevators, (his job) and does stair lifts, wheel chairs, and mobility scooters. I don't know all the situations that causes them to end up with batteries that they dispose of, but one scenario is that the owner of a scooter runs out of juice and calls my brothers employer. They send out a service tech with a new set of two batteries, and take the old set away. Since they don't sell used batteries, they toss them. I would go visit my brother, (he lives in his employers parking lot) and test the stack of batteries with a multimeter. Anything with a voltage over 12 VDC, I took. I very quickly ran out of room for any more.

I charged and then load tested all of them. They seem fine.

Since I feel kinda silly hording batteries, I will give one or two, possibly more to anyone who shows up at my place. But I will not ship them. Too much hassle.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #34

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post

Way cool. I'll dig deeper and find out how it works.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #35

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As explained in the link, they are free, because my brother works at a place that both installs elevators, (his job) and does stair lifts, wheel chairs, and mobility scooters. I don't know all the situations that causes them to end up with batteries that they dispose of, but one scenario is that the owner of a scooter runs out of juice and calls my brothers employer. They send out a service tech with a new set of two batteries, and take the old set away. Since they don't sell used batteries, they toss them. I would go visit my brother, (he lives in his employers parking lot) and test the stack of batteries with a multimeter. Anything with a voltage over 12 VDC, I took. I very quickly ran out of room for any more.

I charged and then load tested all of them. They seem fine.

Since I feel kinda silly hording batteries, I will give one or two, possibly more to anyone who shows up at my place. But I will not ship them. Too much hassle.

If I get out that way I'll take a few. I've been talking to my uncle about traveling to Alaska. Calgary would make a nice way point. He wants to go up that way one more time. His age is catching up with him. He and I have bonded in the last few years. We talk on the phone every day. He is one of my few relatives that is positive and encouraging. He offers helpful suggestions, posed in a modest way. He was a commercial fishermen so we have lots in common.

In any event , I wish he would get an Arab. He talks like he wants one but won't spend the money. Lately he has been asking about egg campers. I think he would like a Trillium or small
Boler.. Perhaps the two of is will show up at some point.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
With my fleet of Trilliums, he could get a good feel for what they are like. I have two that, when I am done playing with them, will be for sale. They are both older 1300's that need work, (play). In the not for sale catagory, I also have three middle age 4500's and a 1300 with a front quarter bathroom. I wouldn't recommend the quarter bath to anyone larger then a smurf. Good thing the daughter that gets that one fits.

You, and your father are welcome to spend a few nights in my driveway. My brother and mom come over every Friday for fire, pizza and beer, unless it is colder then -20 deg C. Then the fire is indoors. Come during Stampede, if that appeals to you. With five kids I can't guarantee quiet though. Especially on Friday.

PM me when you know.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #37

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
AGMs are great if you can stand the initial cost. I've used Concorde Lifelines in my electric boats. Good service and great tech support from Concorde. When I ran one flat over the winter ( my fault ) Concorde lent me a special ($3000) charger to restore it. They even paid to freight!

I like AGMs. I have a pair of 4D's in the big boat and after four years they are in perfect condition. I bet I get 10 years out of them. My previous gel cells were a huge disappointment. I'd like to carry four more--1200 Amp Hours would hold me through a storm with heavy use. Even one more pair would be nice.

One issue I have is the charger I have has an equalization cycle which could pose a problem. But my solar is working out so well, I could turn the breaker off on the charger if I plugged in. I had 20 amps coming off the panels today and recovered the 52 ah I used last night about 1:30. I switched on the inverter and powered the fridge with electricity for a couple of hours and topped it off again later in the day.

On a good day I am guessing I can produce 154 amp hours. With two more panels perhaps I'll see 230 ah--which makes a 400 amp hour battery bank appealing. I should be able to run done high load ham radios, and my fridge on AC even more.

My uncle thinks I should out a find generator on it next. Height be crazier than me. However, in 20 knots of wind on a 400+ Amp generator I could easily power of 336 W (through the inverter) refrigerator. The fridge draws 28 amps. I was taking in 20 from the solar panels and 9 from a batteries today. The extra two panels will be useable. Perhaps I can build a control circuit to switch AC power in when the batteries are full?

I started installing the last two panels today, while caulking another 1/3 of the roof with 1/3 to go.

I hooked up a new variable temperature control in my fridge and it does not seem to be freezing up on propane any more. That is a big improvement for me.

Finally, I have to design a platform otfvthe back to attach my scissor ladder. My ladder is one step too short. Everyone hates it, especially the dogs. A gold up platform gives them a place to sit when I open the door and I can reuse my scissor stairs.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #38

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I am interested in this subject and thread, but the text is spread out about 3 screens worth. What is wrong with the formatting that made this happen? I am too lazy to scroll back and forth to read this. Oh well....
Russ
Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #39

Connecticut
Here is my battery status as if this morning.

Mar 28. Overcast. Rain due in pm
Previous day was sunny and battery fully charged by 1:30pm
0807:
-64.7ah nights energy consumption
-1.4a still discharging inverter on idle and furnace not running
11.88v. Battery voltage
74.5f battery temperature

Compared with two nights ago.

Mar 26 overcast
0755:
-61.7ah
-.5a,
11.3v with furnace off
10.2v with furnace on

I am going to change my battery capacity to 100 ah in the set up.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #40

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I am interested in this subject and thread, but the text is spread out about 3 screens worth. What is wrong with the formatting that made this happen? I am too lazy to scroll back and forth to read this. Oh well....
Russ

I'll edit it down.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #41

Connecticut
I decided to pull the trigger on two new AGM batteries a few hours ago. I'll have them on Thursday.

My uncle talked me into it over the last few days. I was going to buy just one battery. I was shocked he was so firm and enthusiastic about pushing for the extra capacity.

I debating dual full size 8D batteries a while back, and decided against the
huge 165 lbs weight penalty. That was too much for me, given that my current battery seemed to be doing ok at the time. I liked the idea of the huge capacity though.

I was leaning towards one slim battery and a weight savings of 46 lbs. It is hard to argue with a significant weight reduction. Uncle Tom liked the idea of two batteries and a whopping 400 amp hours of capacity. I liked the modest weight increase of 73 lbs with two batteries. Although, I'm concerned the lighter weight might impact battery longevity. The fact that I can fit two of these 200 amp-hour Master Volt batteries in the same space as my current 8D battery is very nice. Space is always at a premium in campers and boats. This is the future. Higher energy densities.

Second, four and a half days consecutive days of overcast conditions helped me make the purchase decision. Yesterday was overcast, and today is very dark and this continues on until Monday. I'll be down about 30 amp hours or more today and that trend is likely to continue with inadequate reserve. I may go one more day without short power to see how my current battery holds up.

Last, my electric blanket arrived today and was the third factor in my decision to purchase two batteries. If I want to be able to warm my bed and take the chill out of the cab-over bed area, my coldest spot, I'll need both increased charging and battery capacity. I am hoping this will work out. I'll have to test it out and see. The device lists the power demand as 180 watts on high which is bigger than I expected.

Some numbers. I am hoping a 3 setting, will be about 54 watts (5 amps) and comfortable drawing 40 amp-hours over the course of a night. That would put my energy budget at 100 amp-hours and should be easily recoverable on a sunny day. I'd recover most of that on an overcast day, an estimated 80 amp-hours, putting me down about 20 amp-hours. I could tolerate quite a few overcast days and be able to recover from this in one to two days of clear skies.

Cold days are the clear days, so the two extra solar panels I'm in the process of installing, and deep capacity will set me up well for extended dry camping in any conditions . I can use the deep capacity on extended overcast days and the electric blanket freely on those clear very cold days and nights when I can expect a maximal recharge the following day.

I've read the rule of thumb for matching solar panels and batteries is you should have an amp-hour of capacity for every watt of solar power. That may work for people who live out west in generally clear conditions. Here in the northeast, we need more solar power than amp-hour capacity to replace what we lose on overcast conditions. I'll have 1.5 watts production per amp-hour.

In any event, that level of charging and capacity will allow me to do the sort of winter camping I want to do; I'll be able to tolerate extended overcast conditions and not worry about discharging my batteries even with heavy furnace or electric blanket use. New batteries will, for the first time, allow me to accurately set my LinkPRO battery monitor's capacity. Finally, I be discharging typically 25%, which should prolong the longevity of these batteries.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #42

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Sounds like a good choice. Once the batteries are in and paid for you will never regret having "too much" capacity.

Tags
solar