My ''WATT'' box reposted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Unfortunately my original posting got lost when those truly nasty people wiped our site out last year. So, I think it's time to repost some of my mod.

I saw Morgan's ''Watt'' box and realized I needed one of those for all my crap.

The pictures I'm sending do a good job of showing the box but I've since added a 2 x 4 "edgewise" on the front of the box so when the seats are down and you hit the brakes, all your s**t doesn't come slamming forward. When I find the camera download cord , I'll send the new pictures along.

I built the box from scrap materials and the top is OSB plywood, sides and back are 3/4 inch plywood and the bottom happens to be pegboard. I used GORILLA GLUE on all edges and "air nailed" the thing together. After the glue set, it's as solid as a rock. When needed, I can slide the box out so I can use the full cargo space of the Tahoe. I built the box so it fits right up against the back of the seats when the back row is in the "up" position. When they are down, you have the added floor space as shown in the picutures.

I still haven't glued carpet on the top but hope to do so before our next trip. I bought the rolling plastic boxes at LOWES and they cost about $14 each. Wal Mart and other places also have them. I built the center section to add support to the top and also it gives you a great place to store weiner forks, pokers, umbrellas, etc.

Obviously, you should design your "box" around the things you want to carry in there but the basic concept is sound. I "went to school" on some others I saw and mine is unique to my needs. I leave the box in all the time because when we go on a day trip or to Grandkids baseball games, etc, I'm always using something from the storage.

I can't tell you how much this helped with all the crap we take when we travel.

I'll post a few of the pictures. Feel free to PM me if you have questions and I'll give you my personal contact information.

Regards,

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Watt_box_1.jpg  
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #2

Floor space with seats down.
Attached Thumbnails
Watt_box_seats_down2.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #3

View with seats up.
Attached Thumbnails
Watt_box_seats_up_2.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #4

View with wheeled drawers partly pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Watt_box_seats_up_drawers_out1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #5

View loaded. Good luck with yours.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Watt_box_loaded_1.jpg  
Old 06-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Thanks for reposting, Keith.

Just to set the record straight, Charles Watts invented this, not me. That's why it's called the Watt Box.

Has anyone heard from Charles?

One thing you should know before considering this is the gaseous theory of camping gear; it expands to fill the available volume.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Everytime I pack my car to go camping I keep thinking "I need one of those Watts Boxes." Then when I start looking for something and everything gets messed up, then I KNOW I need one.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
One thing you should know before considering this is the [b]gaseous theory of camping gear; it expands to fill the available volume.
I am a dedicated researcher of, and constant experimenter with, that ''Gaseous theory''.

Also, one should have made room for the cold pump in case some beverages need cold pumped in and one is away from one's home pump. I'll have to look into that.

Suz, I really think you are ''behind the curve'' on this. I will look for pictures of yours in the near future.

Also, I think Michael should post some pictures of his Box. It is built to accomodate their Dutch Oven activity. Way cool.

EKW
Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Everytime I pack my car to go camping I keep thinking "I need one of those Watts Boxes." Then when I start looking for something and everything gets messed up, then I KNOW I need one.

Everytime I pack to go I wonder if there's something I can leave behind. Sometime, later in the summer, I think I'll remove everything from the trailer and the TV. Set the stuff all out on the ground. Examine each and every item. If it hasn't been used and isn't a safety item, (jacks, flares, etc.) it goes away.

My preference is to not increase storage space, but better use what I have.

I can understand, that's not the way some like to go. Therefore this Watts box is a good bit of information. It's interesting to see people solve problems and the approaches taken. I offer the above only as an alternative.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #10

Hooray. My sweet wife, Shirley, found the camera cord.

Here's the final picture showing the added ''stop block'' made from a 2x4 on edge. I countersunk, screwed and Gorilla Glued it to the top edge of the box right behind the seats. When the seats are down, it will prevent all that ''precious'' cargo from sliding forward in a pile. It DOES work.

OK, any questions Class?

EKW
Attached Thumbnails
2x4_stop_block_sm.jpg  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Next outing keep a list of EVERYTHING that gets packed. If it doesn't get used,take it off list. If you need it and it's at home,Add to list for next time.
This is a good theory but I don't like lists. I've got STUFF that goes that hasn't been used in years, but I might NEED it.
Red Green theory......
If it moves and it is not supossed to.............duct tape
If it does not move and it's supposed to........WD40
What else is there?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote