Need advice on flooring and vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Trillium
Need advice on flooring and vent

I am ready to take the next step and install some laminate or bamboo flooring in the Trillium. Any advice on what works well? Should I get some flexible molding to put around all the curves and bumps? What tools should we use to cut the flooring to fit all the egg's curves?
Also, we are looking at solar-powered fans to put in the vent to keep things cool. Anyone have one they like? Did you have to cut the fiberglass to install it?
Thanks for the advice.
Liz
Jola & Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #2

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola & Liz S View Post
I am ready to take the next step and install some laminate or bamboo flooring in the Trillium. Any advice on what works well? Should I get some flexible molding to put around all the curves and bumps? What tools should we use to cut the flooring to fit all the egg's curves?
Also, we are looking at solar-powered fans to put in the vent to keep things cool. Anyone have one they like? Did you have to cut the fiberglass to install it?
Thanks for the advice.
Liz

I've installed hardwood flooring in 4 Trilliums so far with great success, one great thing I've learned is that it takes very little square footage to do one as you can imagine.. I looked for mine in yard sales because when someone does a new floor they will usually have 2 to 3 cartons left over and even though they may have cost them 80 to 100 bucks or more per carton you can buy them at a yard sale for 5 bucks a carton or less.. been there done that several times. Because most people need alot more than just 2 or 3 cartons to do just about anything even a bathroom and thats one place you should never put wood flooring..When it comes to installing it I used poster board to draw a pattern of the curves and notches and then cut out a pattern with sizzors, checking it to make sure it fits correctly and then I use a gig saw to cut the boards out just a little bigger than the pattern and a orbital sander to sand them into shape..the very ends of each board needs to be sanded rounded on the bottom ends so they meet close to the wall because of the rounded fiberglass bottom..I also glued mine in so nothing moves..I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I don't forget ..HOPE THIS HELPS RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Name: Kristopher
Trailer: 197x Boler
British Columbia
Great advice. What type of glue did you use to keep things flexible? I definitely have to glue down so am looking for adhesives.
Sleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeka View Post
Great advice. What type of glue did you use to keep things flexible? I definitely have to glue down so am looking for adhesives.

I just asked the people in the flooring dept. in Lowes and they gave me a 1 gal bucket of glue that you use a notched trowel to spread it with..Worked out great...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
What about removing the glue later? Does anyone have any advice on how to remove this type of glue from fiberglass?

(Is it appropriate to ask the 'opposite' question in someone else's thread?)
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Trillium
glue on fiberglass or underlayment?

OK, so I am getting there- but do you glue down onto the fiberglass, a foam pad underlayment, or a black plastic vapor barrier in a Trillium? It sounds like folks have had success just gluing to the bottom? The Lowe's fellow seemed to not understand the concept of not putting down plywood first...
Jola & Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola & Liz S View Post
OK, so I am getting there- but do you glue down onto the fiberglass, a foam pad underlayment, or a black plastic vapor barrier in a Trillium? It sounds like folks have had success just gluing to the bottom? The Lowe's fellow seemed to not understand the concept of not putting down plywood first...
I just glued it down onto the fiberglass...I had one Trillium that I redone last year that had laminate flooring glued down in it and it was no harder to remove than the old linoleum they usiually have in them, I just scraped it up then sanded down all the old adhesive.......................
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I put engineered bamboo flooring in the Boler. It's just "floating" on the fiberglass floor. I put stained wood 1/4 round trim in with small screws. It looks very nice.

If I had to do it over again I would use the floating vinyl flooring. It's much lighter weight and wet people and dogs wouldn't be much of an issue.

Trafficmaster Allure
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I installed Marmoleum in our trillium. Took the two layers of carpet up and used the original one for a pattern. I got a remnant from a floor covering store-cheap. They use this stuff in hospitals and airports and call it a 40 year floor, After a two week trip and a couple of week end trips it still looks brand new. Sweeps up nice with no seams or joints to collect gradoo. It has to be lighter weight than hardwood or laminate floor too. We love the stuff-wish we had it in our kitchen.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I used the Homedepot Trafficmaster Allure very easy to install and its a floating floor. Easy to clean and you don't have to worry about getting it wet. Its a lot easier to remove a floating floor than one glued down, should you want to change it . Most of the other laminate flooring you can install as a floating floor, as it locks together .
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Trafficmaster Allure should NOT be installed if winter temperature goes well below 32F (0C) in your area. At low temperatures Allure breaks like glass if you walk on it. I just checked this again with a floor installer who confirmed it to me.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: 72 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Hi there,

I am on the West Coast and I just installed some Allure Plank flooring NOT Traffic Master and the box said it can be installed down to (-10c) They even joke that you can put it in your freezer if you want. The only other intall tempature limit they talk about is a high one. (95F) This is because of the glue melting and the floor becoming loose.
I will be sure to share any issues I have with my floor this summer.

Cheers.
Brian E Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just remember, anything you put down you may eventually want to pull back up! The only issues I've heard about with some of the laminates is that it doesn't handle moisture... has a tendency to buckle. If you camp in wet weather, or have pets with wet paws, this may be a concern.....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: 72 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Donna,

Yeah I have heard that too of Laminates. This Allure Flooring is Vinyl and has been installed in bathrooms etc. I still wouldn't want to pour water on the floor and have it go under and do damage.
Brian E Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Moon View Post
Hi Donna,

Yeah I have heard that too of Laminates. This Allure Flooring is Vinyl and has been installed in bathrooms etc. I still wouldn't want to pour water on the floor and have it go under and do damage.
water belongs in a pool
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
The attached video shows how we put our floor together.
I hope it helps you out.

The laminate flooring I used had a foam under-liner which keeps the laminate off the fiberglass sub-floor (should moisture find its way there), insulates the floor, and provides some flexibility if you are laying the floor over a textured surface. My sub floor has raised dimples embossed in the fiberglass for traction, this was my solution.

Markz

‪1986 Boler Camper Modifications‬‏ - YouTube
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote