Need modification ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Attila
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Need modification ideas

Ok, I have no idea why my post was removed, but I think the photos didn't upload.
So Just bought this little Casita, and I am trying to come up with an idea to make it wider the bench front bed to sleep 2. Is anyone did it before? My plan is to do a swing out with hinges frame like the yellow shows when it is open and just put another mattress on it, when no use, then flip it back with those hinges and will flash with the wall and cussons go on top. What you guys think? I would appreciate any good ideas. Thank You!
Atti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Texas
here is the photo, i wasn't able to post with the head post
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
That looks like a great idea. Best of luck with it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti View Post
Ok, I have no idea why my post was removed, but I think the photos didn't upload.
So Just bought this little Casita, and I am trying to come up with an idea to make it wider the bench front bed to sleep 2. Is anyone did it before? My plan is to do a swing out with hinges frame like the yellow shows when it is open and just put another mattress on it, when no use, then flip it back with those hinges and will flash with the wall and cussons go on top. What you guys think? I would appreciate any good ideas. Thank You!
I've got the same SD model and added 6" to the side dinette and posted pics of what I did. Yes, your idea is do able but.....by making it wide enough for 2 folks you're going to be using all of the center walkway. Anyone sleeping in the rear bed would have to crawl over the length of the bed/person sleeping there to use the head. Now that would have been funny when I was a teenager, now not so much . From your drawing, it shows only using half the isle, maybe your talking about 2 little kids.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
pull out drawer glides are another way to get a longer bed.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Not to mention trying to use the bathroom, when you can't open the door because the bed is in the way. I also agree that, even with a full-width fold out section that would go all the way across the aisle, you still wouldn't have a decent bed that would be wide enough for two adults to sleep side by side.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do some measurements and see how wide the actual modified bed would/will be. My current Scamp bed is the older one at 45" in the narrow area. Wife and I are both on the smaller scale and it's tight. I'd MUCH prefer the more comfy 54" bed. My point being, you CAN make it if it's at least 45".

On blocking the bathroom door...just have an end section of the bed near the door where it will fold up enough to open the door and get through for emergencies during the night. Hopefully the one having the emergency will be the one sleeping on the outside of the new bed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti View Post
here is the photo, i wasn't able to post with the head post
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Need modification ideas

We experimented with having a person sleep in the aisle of our 13' Scamp. We found not having a clear aisle basically means everyone in the trailer has to go to bed and rise in lock-step. If one person needs the bathroom during the night (whether inside the trailer or outside) everyone has to wake up to make room.

It was an epic fail for us, abandoned after two nights.

If you can get an adequately sized bed and leave at least 12-15" clear, then maybe. Otherwise, I would look to build up rather then out, i.e., bunks.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've seen both the hinge and drawer type extension used with success but always at the expense of the loss of floor space. You have to decide if that's something you can live with.
Adding an upper bunk is another option that may address both issues.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

Texas
Thank you guys!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You are starting with a side dinette that is only 22 to 23 inches deep as I recall. So you will need 17 inches added to the front of it just to get it to "twin bed" width. That 17 inches will use much of the aisle way.

+10 Depending on who is using it, side bunks make more sense.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We removed the bathroom door in our Casita SD17 and just have a shower curtain there. Reason being we wanted to keep the bathroom warm in cold weather and with the door open it was against the forward dinette seat.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Texas
This is a photo software "plan" Basically I just need a small bed for my little girl. and I can sleep on the longer part she can sleep next to me, and our girl can sleep with my wife on the bigger bed. So if I will do this way they will have access walk by to use the toilet, and able to open the door. . I also considering to take off the door and use shower curtains
Attached Thumbnails
plan final.jpg  
Old 10-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looks feasible. Only thought I have is how fast kids grow.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote