need more floor space in Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, I'm finding that I need more floor space in my camper now that I have a second dog.

I'm thinking of doing something with the bathroom door so that I can set up a dog bed in there, or maybe opening up the bottom part of the front storage compartment next to the door. Although that space doesn't really look big enough at floor height because of the curve of the Scamp body.
IIRC the only place across the front of a 13' Scamp that is at floor level is the center, originally designed to accommodate a porta-potty cupboard, but useful for the optional shower pan in the bathroom models. The floor in the two corners is as high as the floor under the dinette. A pet door installed in the Bathroom door is an easy mod to accomplish.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would have thought that as we are talking about Aussie's which are not big dogs that a dog bed of appropriate size would have fit in the door way area.

I have camped with a 80lb Lab, 90lb Golden & two young teens and two adults for more than a week in my trailer without much problem. Dogs sleep on the floor - although one did try each night to convince the teen sleeping on the lower bunk they needed to share the bunk as that was normally their spot when the teen was not camping with me ;-) During the day when I needed floor space in order to use the kitchen area the dogs were parked outside. If it was pouring rain sometimes that meant they went into the back of the car for awhile. While attending dog shows/camping events such as the large PNW lab show that takes place at Champoeg State park each July its not uncommon to see dogs sleeping in crates in the back of cars. If you have an alarm on your car letting the dogs sleep in the back of the car/truck should not be an issue. If the weather is warm and sleeping in the car is out some folks use Pop up tents with sides on them by the trailer and just leave the dogs in crates out there over night.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #23

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
I amend my earlier post to say, "I wouldn't recommend getting a 13' er with the bathroom to go camping with two Beardie sized dogs. I think people have a very valid point that it can work well with the front bunk model as a place for them to sleep. Thank you everyone!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #24

New Hampshire
A Kuranda bed would make a great platform across the foot of the bed...Especially if I could mount it to the closet wall on one side.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #25

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I am going to start a new thread for dogg (dog + egg) camping. That way we can keep sharing good information. It is thread all over the place - from dog doors, to wooden screen doors, to other dog-friendly adaptations.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #26

Name: dawn
Trailer: scamp
Nevada
room for the dogs

I am really new to this so just saw this post. I travel with my great dane. He sleeps on the bed and allows me to share.
crazyladyandbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #27

New Hampshire
just thought I'd update this. have Scamped out at four agility trials with both dogs in the 13' Scamp, and we have figured out how to make it work ok...the whole floor that isn't in the way of the screen door and bathroom door is taken up by the bigger dog's bed, and I do a sort of modified Twister game when I get out of bed so I don't step on him. I guess I'm selfish because I don't like to have them on the bed. I have the 44" bed so it's not that big in the first place! My 6 year old girl has started to paw at the screen door and I came out once to find it had popped open. She was still inside, but that gives me something else to figure out next season. I thought about getting a different 13-er, but really have to admit that if I do get something else at some point it is going to bigger....and maybe have a slide....and be a driveable RV. On our last Scampout/trial weekend I ran out of Propane in the middle of the night. It wasn't that bad except for not being able to heat water for coffee in the morning. A fellow camper let me use her 25' Class C during the day to heat water and food. I couldn't help but notice the comfort and convenience. And the shower. And the space for crates. So we will see.

Tags
scamp