need more floor space in Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
need more floor space in Scamp 13'

Hi, I'm finding that I need more floor space in my camper now that I have a second dog. I know a lot of people have moved away from fiberglass for this reason, opting for something with a slide, but I'm wondering if there is another option? I currently have a Scamp 13 with front bathroom. One dog sleeps and hangs out under the bunk. That is terrific. Now where does the second dog hang out that is not underfoot all the time? That is the problem. I'm thinking of doing something with the bathroom door so that I can set up a dog bed in there, or maybe opening up the bottom part of the front storage compartment next to the door. Although that space doesn't really look big enough at floor height because of the curve of the Scamp body. No need to tell me not to travel with dogs etc., I've seen that thread, the only reason I have the camper is for agility trials. If I can figure something out I can keep my 13' and my Honda Element TV, and life stays simple. The dogs are medium/large sized, 35# and 45# Australian Shepherds.
Any thoughts out there?
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Chihuahuas are not such bad dogs, really, once you train them.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I guess you need to look at your needs and desires. Are you planning on getting more dogs? If the answer is yes then you will be looking for a bigger trailer and tow vehicle.

There are scamp 16's, Casita 16 and 17's out there pretty abundantly. Im not 100% sure on the under bed layout but the lil snoozy has under bed storage, might be able to have it converted and partitioned into a doggie den... this way they are not underfoot when sleeping. Escape makes a 21' trailer, if you order one Im sure they can modify the height of a settee and turn it into a doggie den. Another thought, but probably would need a larger tow vehicle is purchasing an enclosed utility trailer and build it to your specifications to hold you and your dogs.

Like everything else in life, its all about how much you can afford to spend to get whet you think you need/want.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Tough question in your situation......I don't have an answer for you.

In our 13' older Casita, we have the bunk beds. Found a soft sided collapsable crate that JUST fits between the seat cushion and the kitchen. Our 42 lb Aussie sleeps in that, and our 65 lb mutt (Looks very similar to a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) lays on the floor. But if you have the bathroom, there's no sofa to put a dog and/or crate on.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Get a trailer without the bathroom.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
I currently have a Scamp 13 with front bathroom. One dog sleeps and hangs out under the bunk. That is terrific. Now where does the second dog hang out that is not underfoot all the time?
On your bed! Just like at home
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Have you thought of letting one or both dogs sleep on the front couch/bunk? They could have their regular kennels even.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Have you thought of letting one or both dogs sleep on the front couch/bunk? They could have their regular kennels even.
13' with bath doesn't have a front couch/bunk. That area is a taken up with a wall, door and potty/shower.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I no longer have a dog, but when I did... I tried to make him a whole lot more comfortable than what he needed. Dogs are pretty accomodating. You've got one under the bed, put a doggy bed next to the door and I'm betting that other pouch will find it plenty comfortable once he knows that's his personal space. Yeah, ya gotta move that bed to get out the door in the morning. But better than kicking a dog out of the bathroom because you need to use it in the middle of the night.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Chihuahuas are not such bad dogs, really, once you train them. ( we have chihuahuas ) and they do run agility ( not our girls,they are like us"older" & on the retired side of lazy)

Depending on how much storage you need .....you could take out shelves or lower cabinets and convert them to crate space. Our dogs hang out in their crate inside or outside all the time. I know that Australian Shepherds are just a tad bit bigger than my "fur kids"....but being show dogs I feel sure they are use to being in a crate and IF their stuff is there then they would be happy there while you are busy moving around then out with you when you set down to relax.That is how we handle ours as well as DD's agility dogs when they go with us.

Hope this idea is some help to you ...others here have dogs too so I feel sure they will chime in with some suggestions soon.

Happy Camping.....

P.S> if you or anyone would like to see DD & her husband( James) on youtube running & or training their dogs then look here http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...ube+by+quossum. On Line she goes by Quossum so she is easy to find
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
We have the same trailer, so out of curiosity, I went out and measured the space between the seats under the table. It's 29", just a bit too narrow to just put in a vertical divider, which was my first thought. What if the floor under the table just extended out onto the main floor a foot or so? You might make it permanent (see the thread about "stealth storage") or removable. I bet the two shepherds could share the under-the-table space if it were just a bit bigger. And, something that I wish for as I climb over my wife to get out of bed, is a bit of a step near the bed.

I hope you don't decide to cut into the walls or cabinets. You'll want to sell your Scamp one day, and a mod like that probably won't help.

Love watching agility trials - good luck!

c
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

New Hampshire
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! I do think the front bunk suggestions would have worked, but as someone pointed out, I don't have one. I did try having them both get under the bed, but my male seems to be just too large and tall to fit under there comfortably. I will probably do like Donna suggests for our first weekend all together in the Scamp and see how that goes. Maybe they will think of something else Thank you for the suggestion NOT to take out a cabinet in case I want to sell it someday. I hadn't thought about that but it's a good point.
Cheers!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

New Hampshire
...oh and YES! Chihuahuas are awesome dogs, and can definitely do agility! I should have thought of that before falling in love with the Aussies.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #14

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I hope you will report back on what you ended up doing. I am pondering buying a 13 foot, and would normally travel with one bearded collie, but might travel with both and have been wondering the same thing. When they were young they slept on the bed, but now that they are older they like their own space.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I think I saw a thread here, somewhere, where someone built a 1/2 shelf above their bed (over their feet, not their head) to accommodate a toddler. Perhaps that could be a solution for your second dog.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #16

California
Registry
Here's the link which I found by doing a Google search on the forum "Toddler bed". http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55214.html
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #17

California
Registry
I was just thinking...instead of installing rails you could make the shelf a table with pipe and flange legs that screw on/off. You'd need to tuck the cushions around the legs, but it could work.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #18

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Alright Doghaus - your name came up recently among aussie agility people - what happened when you took your two dogs to the trial? Did the trailer work out for you?
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #19

New Hampshire
Hey! We survived it, my older, smaller dog slept under the bunk as usual, and the new larger dog came up with his own idea, to sleep right up against the raised floor of the dinette. I had to step over him to get in and out of bed, which was a pain but not awful, and when I had to do something that required me to use that space such as cook or do dishes, I put him in an expen in front of the camper or put him in the car. If the two dogs didn't get along so well I can imagine that the dog under the bunk could end up being blocked in, and not liking that. There was one growl when she must have stepped on him when she came out to get a drink. I am thinking of trying the mini bunk idea that someone else pointed me to, a short bunk that is raised up over the foot of my bed. I think that has possibilities.
My advice is to NOT get a 13' Scamp to travel with two Beardies though. One would be fine, two I think you may regret it. Plus, who can really stop at two dogs???
Talking with other RV'ers at the trial, it seemed like everyone had issues with dogs taking up too much floor space in their RV's. Even people with bigger Class C's with slides!
Good luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #20

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
We have a 13ft. Boler with two huskies...no front bathroom though & bunk beds fully functional.

We have zero issues with the two of them on the front bunk. Have also had a foster husky (3 total including our 2) who slept on the floor, on a bed beside the portapotti. We had to watch where we stepped, but with just the two on the bunk we find it roomy enough and not at all cramped. We want a bigger trailer but the dogs aren't the main reason.

If you can make due with a portapotti at night perhaps a 13 without a bathroom would make the arrangement more comfortable?
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp