Need recommendations for heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Need recommendations for heater

Hi, We are in the final stages of committing to buying a used Casita 17 (woo hoo!). Our only concern is that it doesn't have a furnace. Does anyone have recommendations for a good, portable and safe heater that preferably runs on propane? We live in Oregon and some of our camping will be in cold weather, though not likely in the dead of winter. I know we can get a space heater and use it when we're hooked up, but we like to stay in campgrounds without hookups. Thanks for your thoughts!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Hi, We are in the final stages of committing to buying a used Casita 17 (woo hoo!). Our only concern is that it doesn't have a furnace. Does anyone have recommendations for a good, portable and safe heater that preferably runs on propane? We live in Oregon and some of our camping will be in cold weather, though not likely in the dead of winter. I know we can get a space heater and use it when we're hooked up, but we like to stay in campgrounds without hookups. Thanks for your thoughts!
Look at Atwood and Surburban. Many of the local RV shops sell them and will install one for a fee.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would highly recommend a Propex heater. Easy to install, small in size (I would use the one that mounts outside underneath) and works great.

Not portable, but even better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used it yet, paid $69 for it, seems to have increased in price since buying it.
Folks have said to sleep with a window open for ventilation. I can't speak to the safety of them.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Real comfort

Do not think you would regret getting a new furnace. Our new Attwood furnace works great and you just turn it on and enjoy; auto start no secondary heaters needed, just comfort. Will cost more but increases the trailer value should you ever want to resell it.

P.S. we winter camp
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The Suburban NT-16-SEQ is what is installed the Casitas. I was getting ready to install one in a 2013 C-17 but sold the trailer before installing it. The Casita is designed to fit the Suburban. There was even a capped off T in the main gas line below the factory installed location. They run about $400. You will also need to purchase a thermostat.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Personally, I would not use any unvented propane heater, whether portable, like the Little Buddy, or permanent, like the Wave units. They can be used safely, but (1) following all the manufacturer's instructions to the letter is absolutely critical, as in life-or-death, and (2) the smaller the space, the more quickly things can go wrong, and my trailer is about the size of the master closet at home. Just too many risk factors for me.

Among vented furnaces, the Propex can reduce the noise level over a non-ducted Atwood or Suburban depending on where and how it is installed. But all of them will draw down your battery fairly quickly off-grid. This is still the better option for me. We have and use the Scamp factory Suburban furnace. For a retrofit, I'd seriously consider a Propex.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I installed the Atwood II furnace in my 1986 Scamp 13 and it has been great for us, but we also use portable solar panels to keep the battery up. We run it about 12 hours or so a night in the winter out in the desert where it may be high 70's by day and low 20's at night. Me and the Mrs. don't do cold well being from SoCal so the noise of the heater doesn't negate the warmth and comfort inside.

The day that I bought my trailer used without a heater is the day I went shopping for a furnace. I knew I wouldn't take it out in the off season without it. We rarely camp with onsite power. When we do the electric cube heater is far noisier than the propane heater.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... For a retrofit, I'd seriously consider a Propex.
I got my Scamp 16 with no furnace and spent a good amount of time comparing the various ProPex models, studying the installation instructions, taking measurements, reading lots of first hand information on the Internet and generally brainstorming how to install it. The ProPex is a very good furnace and can be relatively quiet, but if mounted inside the camper, instead of under the floor, and not ducted, that advantage is pretty much lost. But the biggest obstacle for me was when I started looking hard at details like the clearance requirements for the vent pipes and other install requirements. It became quite a bit more involved than the simple Atwood or Suburban units. Some of the installs I have see online violate the manufacture's requirements but still seem to be OK (at least I don't know of anyone breathing in too much exhaust or scorching something in their trailer). So I'm not saying it can't be done properly, only that it was going to take a good bit more effort to do it properly than I expected and also more effort than the non-ducted Atwoods and Suburbans. So, to anyone who wants to install a Propex furnace in a small FGRV, I would suggest that you do your homework before getting in too deep.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are very few direct vent propane heater choices around besides the standard Atwood and Suburban heaters. Of course adding a direct vent heater does mean cutting hole(s) in the shell.

http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/n...p12000-heater/

SIG Marine Cozy Cabin Propane Gas Heater

Products - Propex Propane Heaters
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Personally, I would not use any unvented propane heater, whether portable, like the Little Buddy, or permanent, like the Wave units. They can be used safely, but (1) following all the manufacturer's instructions to the letter is absolutely critical, as in life-or-death, and (2) the smaller the space, the more quickly things can go wrong, and my trailer is about the size of the master closet at home. Just too many risk factors for me.
I would use one on occasion but never while sleeping. Ditto the warning to follow the instructions to the letter. But note that the Wave can be permanent or portable. Mine has the optional legs and only comes out of its storage space once or maybe twice a year. It has a quick connect to the gas line. If it is cold as a witch's little finger and you have a dead battery, you will still have heat for some time on a 20 lb tank, so thats a plus. Finding a spot for it with the required minimal clearances and where my dog would not burn her nose was a real challenge in my little camper. So I would also say that for the most part, the Suburban NT-16-SEQ is the best all-around choice and someday what I expect I will put in for day-to-day use.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Among vented furnaces, the Propex can reduce the noise level over a non-ducted Atwood or Suburban depending on where and how it is installed. But all of them will draw down your battery fairly quickly off-grid. This is still the better option for me. We have and use the Scamp factory Suburban furnace. For a retrofit, I'd seriously consider a Propex.
I really don't know where that notion came from. But a quick examination will indicate how fast it will draw down the battery. In my case most of the time the furnace runs once or twice a night with night time temperatures in 20s. Run time about 2 minutes maximum each time. Morning it'll run another we'll say 3 minutes when we get out of bed. That's a grand total of about 7 minutes a day. I measured the current when the furnace is running at 3.0 amps (an accurate, calibrated meter). Let's exaggerate a minute and say it runs for 10 minutes per day. That would be 30 amp minutes. A standard group 24 Marine deep cycle battery will supply 37 amp hours at which point it is considered depleted.
At 37 amp hours that equals 2,200 amp minutes. Well when you run the numbers it doesn't seem likely your furnace will run the battery down very quickly. If you have LED lighting it"a less likely to have a battery go down because the furnace runs for a few minutes.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road
California/Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
We own a Casita 17 SD. It came with a propane furnace installed. Would it be possible to have one permanently installed? You will have a blast in your new Casita! Congratulations!
mjwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I also went for the Propex, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have the interior install model and a wall mounted 120vac unit when not boondocking.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #15

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' 2012
Washington
If you can get by with an electric heater, that would be the cheapest. But if you want an actual propane furnace, I would rather spend extra money and get the Propex, instead of the one that Casita puts in. The only reason I wouldn't is if you are in bitter cold conditions, in that case, the propex may not provide enough BTUs for comfort. But, overall, for a couple hundred $$ more than the already spendy Suburban/Atwood, you can have a smaller, quieter, more efficient, safer venting propane furnace that takes up much less of a footprint (and virtually no footprint, if you get the model than can mount outside below the floor), and won't bother you while you sleep.

My recently purchased 2012 Casita SD 17' did not have the furnace, and I have decided that if I get a furnace, it will be the Propex, but (since this is our first RV/trailer) I will see if we really end up wanting to be in cold places without electricity, before I make the investment.
Firetruck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck41 View Post
My recently purchased 2012 Casita SD 17' did not have the furnace, and I have decided that if I get a furnace, it will be the Propex, but (since this is our first RV/trailer) I will see if we really end up wanting to be in cold places without electricity, before I make the investment.
Welcome to FGRV Ben. Good idea to use it for a while before making that move.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Not sure about the Porpex furnace, but I have have purchased 3 campers and installed furnaces in each.
1 Coleman popup Atwood
2 Scamp 16 Suburban
3 Casita 17 Suburban

All three were straight forward. I purchased each furnace and parts from either internet or direct from Scamp, wherever the price was good. The wiring and a gas line splice fitting was already there for an install in each. I was completely surprised by Casita for even having the thermostat wiring right to where they go. The cabinets were all easily modified and when done they all looked like a factory install just using the existing pieces. Only hangup I had was on the Casita as the cabinets are deeper so you need the long extender vent tube to the outside. Some poking around on the net and I found the Suburban part number. Once I had that the part was I think $15.

If you are handy it is a doable project and not difficult, just that you want to do it right the first time. Drilling the vent hole to the outside is always the most nerve racking to me as I don't want extra holes or alignment problems so I quadruple check that step. If not handy, buy the parts and find a guy to do it, or, go to an RV place and have it done.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our 2013 Casita came with the a Suburban furnace .
It does a good job of heating our trailer , is relatively quiet by our standards and does not drain our battery over night
We have camped at 17 below zero and stayed warm but we don't need it to be 80 deg in the trailer while we sleep.
There is not enough gain for me to switch to a Propex heater
but I am not big on reinventing the wheel.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #19

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' 2012
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our 2013 Casita came with the a Suburban furnace .
It does a good job of heating our trailer , is relatively quiet by our standards and does not drain our battery over night
We have camped at 17 below zero and stayed warm but we don't need it to be 80 deg in the trailer while we sleep.
There is not enough gain for me to switch to a Propex heater
but I am not big on reinventing the wheel.
This thread is about recommendations for a new installation furnace, not replacing a furnace. No one is recommending re-inventing the wheel, that I have seen. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone pull their furnace just to install another.

The fact that Casita installs a certain furnace, does not make it inherently better, so I think it is wise for the OP to do some research on what is available and will fit their needs.

At temps like you mentioned, it would be hard to beat the furnace Casita uses.

For the Pac NW, depending on when/where you camp, the BTUs of the Propex may work. It also appears to be better in many regards, if it fits the use case. No drilling holes in the outside side wall of the trailer, no giant hole to cut in the kitchen cabinet, just a couple much smaller hole saw penetrations, no need to lose ~40% of your sink cabinet storage, no scalding exhaust, difficulty of install should be similar or lower than installing a Suburban from scratch... if someone is considering this, some web research will show some more pros/cons.
Firetruck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck41 View Post
This thread is about recommendations for a new installation furnace, not replacing a furnace. No one is recommending re-inventing the wheel, that I have seen. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone pull their furnace just to install another.

The fact that Casita installs a certain furnace, does not make it inherently better, so I think it is wise for the OP to do some research on what is available and will fit their needs.

At temps like you mentioned, it would be hard to beat the furnace Casita uses.

For the Pac NW, depending on when/where you camp, the BTUs of the Propex may work. It also appears to be better in many regards, if it fits the use case. No drilling holes in the outside side wall of the trailer, no giant hole to cut in the kitchen cabinet, just a couple much smaller hole saw penetrations, no need to lose ~40% of your sink cabinet storage, no scalding exhaust, difficulty of install should be similar or lower than installing a Suburban from scratch... if someone is considering this, some web research will show some more pros/cons.
Okay then , I recommend the Suburban furnace that Casita uses. I don't want a furnace that only work if you are camping in a warm climate . Hopefully I am now in full compliance for this thread.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco