Need to know about upgrading Scamp 16 fresh water tank to 20 gallons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #15

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Tom, yes I'm familiar with Larry and his goodies, and mods for Casitas. No doubt I'll head there for the upgraded tank as well as several other things. You "guys" are so handy with things I couldn't do to save my life, particularly all things electrical. I'll buy the parts an ask Larry to make me that detachable cord mod, for example.

Sharon

Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
The grey needs to be larger than fresh capacity because you may drain excess juice off canned goods, poor out old sodas, beer, etc.
Sure, but I can't imagine a situation in which this volume would be anywhere near drinking/cooking water use (if you drink water from the trailer's tank) and fresh water consumption by the toilet... other than those who do not use the trailer's toilet.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Get the 3 gallon dispensers with a tap and set it on the counter with the tap over the sink. Portable and refillable.
This is similar to what I do, difference being that the containers I use are a bit smaller, and fit (one at a time) a wall "bracket" I built for them . Much easier to carry than the dreaded five gallon floppy....

I took my 14-gal. water tank out and now have the extra space for storage.

Another advantage of this approach is that the empties go directly into the car, and on trips out and about I fill them wherever the opportunity presents itself. No need to move the trailer just to get water!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
The option package for toilet/shower gives the gray water tank at 26 gallons; freshwater is at 12 and black water at 9.5..
Dont forget the 6 gallons you have in your hot water tank which you can fill up in addition to your fresh water tank.

Keep in mind also that due to the weight of water not a lot of people pull with much water in their tanks. I tend to fill up at destination or fill it up at the last possible place to where I am going. Having a smaller water tank tends to keep me mindful of water usage as well, reducing the amount of times the grey water tank needs draining. Its also pretty easy to use portable water carriers to top the water tank up as need be, no need to move the trailer. Even when camping in remote areas one normally does a bit of driving around and can normally find a place to fill up portable water jugs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sharon,
The amount of storage capacity or tankage required is certainly related to your camping style. We rarely spend more than a week in one location. In general a tank of water can be enough. Ginny goes into the water saver mode... paper plates... and so on.

There is a difference between dry camping and true boondocking. In a true boondocking situation without available bathrooms the black tank can become the limit and not your water supply. The two of us can stretch the black tank to 3-4 days. Certainly a single person could double that.

Very often when dry camping, no hook ups, there are relatively nearby bathroom facilities like when we camped at Craters of the Moon and than the limit is not the black tank but the gray tank.

The water tank is not the limit because you can always add water to the tank it's just a question of the amount you add at one time.

If you are dry camping at a place like Craters and have to move your rig to dump or fill your water tank, it's not too big a deal once a week. We try to keep our trailer in moving trim, having a place for everything and not leaving a lot out. In general we carry very little loose in our trailer.

As to sleeping on the front couch, it's wider than half the bed I share with Ginny and we have no problem with it. As well I've fallen asleep a number of times on the couch and find it comfortable. We have stored our sleeping pads under the bottom and/or the back of the couch. Presently we use Alps self inflatable matresses learned from Dave and Paula B. We keep ours behind the back of the couch (our couch no longer folds up.

For additional storage we added a closet over the bathroom end of the couch and a drawer under the right side of the couch. Ginny uses two plastic bins under the center of the couch.

If you're traveling alone, the best mod we and others have made is to make our table into a folding table. It really opens up the trailer.

Wishing you well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dont forget the 6 gallons you have in your hot water tank which you can fill up in addition to your fresh water tank.
Are you thinking of the heater volume as additional capacity? There is no way for the trailer's pump to get this water out, although you could drain it into a bucket and pour that into the fresh water tank... essentially, water heater contents are extra load to carry around which you can't use; you are using water from the fresh tank which is pumped in to displace heater contents.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
In my ParkLiner I have:
30 gal waste grey water tank, vented to the roof
15 gal fresh water tank
I probably could add a small tank or 2 on either side of my hot water heater, but I usually travel with a 7 gallon jug from walmart which is what I used to use for drinking and coffee, and washing dishes for a 5 day weekend... I just need to do military showers inside and it should be fine.

deryk
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm using twin 20 gallon barker tanks. If the bench is the same size as what's in my '84 19' scamp, they're a great fit for the bench.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-55038-13.html

Tags
scamp