need uhaul side windows / window felt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: 1985 13' U Haul Camper
Michigan
need uhaul side windows / window felt

Help! I need new side windows for my 1985 UHaul. Would like new that fit well but are not "custom priced". Will scamp windows fit? Looking for links to window places.
Also, need to try and replace felt in rear sliding window. Original is a burlap u-shaped fabric that probably had hair fibers in it. Think I can still use my window if I can get the old out and put in new. Auto glass place has nothing that works and put it back in my hands. Again, web sites?
Thanks.
Scoutmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Are you aware that there is a good Uhaul Facebook group with answers to all your questions. As for the windows, Scamp side windows are smaller than the opening in the Uhaul. I installed one by making a filler piece of aluminum, others have used fiberglass. A Scamp rear window can be made to fit by slightly widening the opening. A direct replacement for the glass channel liner is not been found, but one has been used by trimming it. The other option is to buy custom made windows, with one Uhaul owner reporting the cost at around $1700 as I recall
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

Michigan
OOOooo, thanks for the intel. Will go to FB.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I reworked the sliding windows in my Trailswest Campster. It was certainly a learning curve for me but not all that bad of a job once I figured out the tools and steps needed for the job.

To do this job I had to take the window out, set it on a padded table, drill out the rivets that held the frame at the joint. I used a bar clamp that has the ability to spread items apart and then rotatae the clamp head back in the other direction to pull it the window frame back together. I had to slightly spread the frame apart to be able to remove the glass panes. Then cleaned out the old material and replaced it with new. You will have to put a new rivet in. That was the trickiest part of the job due to the interior shape of the frame extrusion.

The keywords you need to find the felt track material are "flexible glass run channel". You might have a beaded top edge or the unbeaded style which adds another keyword to your search. You will need to know the width and depth of the track channel in your trailer in order to purchase the right size.

The original material is a wound around wire with fabric. If you can find that type get it. It conforms the best to the rounded corners of the window. Plus it also lets any moisture that gets in drain through the cloth and into the channel where it can exit through the weep holes. The other kinds are rubber which is what I ended up with. It worked but I had to do some trimming of the profile at the bottom and also cut some slots in the rubber so the water could drain out of the felt channel piece and into the track so it could exit through the weep holes.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Michigan
You are awesome. I already have my windows out and apart right from the get go. In a wave of frustration and fear weeks ago I took tiny camper to an auto glass place who assured me they could repair my windows with felt and reinstall them.
It was difficult to give up control of tiny camper and my instincts were correct: got a call yesterday. They cannot find the felt and cannot reinstall windows. I am back to square one.
Tiny camper is back home and I will be working through my window problem slowly and steadily. Thanks for for encouraging news and info. It's just what I needed.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

New York
What many people here don't realize is that the side windows and door window use a rubber weatherstrip to mount them in the trailer. Only the front and rear windows are the clamp ring type. There is a special tool to install the lock strip. There is a good thread somewhere on how to rebuild the Uhaul windows, although I disagree on what weatherstrip to use.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmarm View Post
You are awesome. I already have my windows out and apart right from the get go. In a wave of frustration and fear weeks ago I took tiny camper to an auto glass place who assured me they could repair my windows with felt and reinstall them.
It was difficult to give up control of tiny camper and my instincts were correct: got a call yesterday. They cannot find the felt and cannot reinstall windows. I am back to square one.
Tiny camper is back home and I will be working through my window problem slowly and steadily. Thanks for for encouraging news and info. It's just what I needed.
I forgot one more measurement you need for the felt run piece. You have to know the thickness of your glass. The old windows used a different thickness than the new ones. So that dimension is essential for ordering the right material.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

New York
C R Laurence is a supplier of the glass channel and has dimensions on their web site. As I stated in post #2, members of the Uhaul group have researched this issue extensively and have not come up with a direct replacement. CR Laurence may have a sample ring of all available channels if you wish to do your own research. I avoided this issue by installing new windows.

Tags
uhaul, windows