Never buy an accessory bigger than the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

OK, I am set up in Lake Arrowheads North Shore Campground. It is mostly cedar, grasses and Oak, which attract those nasty no see um teatsee fly things.

My pop up screen house was attacked by an un neutered male cat a couple weeks ago, and we all know it's impossible to get THAT smell out, so in the dumpster it went at Cambria.

Stopped off at Wally World to get a bigger one as I am staying here thru next weekend, commuting to work from here.

I liked the looks, weight and price of this one:

Ozark Trails cheepy

It didn't click that the thing was BIGGER than my trailer!

Thats OK, it actually is now my awning. It's so big I just shoved it into the side of the Burro and with that big tall opening on either side, it's easy to arrange it so the trailer door opens out into the room.

There are a few gaps on the trailer side, but nothing horrible and it's working quite well! It was also very easy to set up. It's color coded, not numbered, and it has a light cover, so I was able to snap the bits together and toss the screen room on, lift and carry! One person will have no problem with it. The dog (One is in the hospital, so I am having a Girls nite with my old lady Beagle) really likes it too.

It took no longer than your standard dome tent to erect.

Doubt I will use it every trip, but since I am here so long, it was a good choice and I don't regret the time to do it.

We'll see how it puts away tho!

Oh yeah.. and the dog thinks she is the queen cause she doesn't have to share Mommy with "That other one".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
As you said, we'll see how it folds up.
Looks almost big enough to park "The Shady Bush II" inside.
Have you taken a picture of it set up @ North Shore Campground?
Hope you are enjoying the change of scenery during your commute. Does it take much longer?
We are starting to get impatient to start our trip.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Interesting! I like the shape, which looks like it could conform to an egg's contours pretty well. I assume it can be guyed down against the wind, right? I'm also curious about the roof. The ad mentions a rain-resistant material- that wouldn't be the screen walls, so it must be the roof, right? I like that it has no floor, the better for draining your teapot showers, but for the same reason, I wish it had a zip-up privacy panel or two.

Every trailer deserves a tent, though. Ours, a big $50 no-name dome with screen walls, serves as outhouse, dressing room and, occasionally, Mom and Dad's midnight love shack.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We've had a similar sized (12'x12') Target special for several years and usually put it up whenever we'll be at a particular site for two or more nights. Ours doesn't match up to the Scamp as well as yours due to its hexagonal shape. We actually bought it when we were tent camping so we could sit outside in inclement weather or when the bugs were bad. I think you'll really like it; Can't imagine camping without ours.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:

OK,
Ozark Trails cheepy

It didn't click that the thing was BIGGER than my trailer!

Thats OK, it actually is now my awning.
That's actually a good thing! We tried this manuver with an ezi-up style screen room, but with the axle on our trailer being raised, the top of the door wouldn't fit under the canopy. Looks like you saved $600 bucks by not installing a trailer awning!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #6

Registry
Kurt.. when DO you start your trip?

It is actually working out quite nicely.

Yes, it has guy lines and stakes, but is also free standing if need be. I have it tied off to the trailer frame, I can't stand guy lines so avoid them at all costs. I have tripped and the dogs get tangled in them.

Yes, the rain resistant stuff is the roof. It's like any tent nylon stuff. I don't think I would depend on it tho. There are all kinds of warnings about using it as a rain shelter in a storm (Like, don't do it). It would be OK to keep drizzle and even a dump, but a down pour thats constant I am not sure.

Camera is coming today.. the 13 foot faction will like it, I think. At 45 bones, can't really go wrong.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
[quote name='Gina D.' date='Jun 2 2006, 11:04 PM' post='187797'

<<My pop up screen house was attacked by an un neutered male cat a couple weeks ago, and we all know it's impossible to get THAT smell out, so in the dumpster it went at Cambria.>>

If this happens again, and you get something pee'd on, sprayed on, or upchucked on, get some of the enzyme spray. It will take out bodily fluid stains, and smells, with enzymes. I know Walmart has it, and Lowe's brand is called "Capture". Just so that you don't have to throw something like that away, again. Happy Trails, Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Our start will be heading to Victorville & the Mojave Narrows Campground on the 14th of this month to attend the "Huck Finn Jubilee". We may have to return home the evening of the 18th, after the show is over. Construction of our house addition has slowed to a snail's pace due to a variety of causes.
But what the heck, now that Ann and I are both retired (last Wednesday was her last day), what's the rush?
Back to Penny's comments, Ann used enzymes when she was the "Laundry Queen" at Forest Home. Not successful 100% of the time, but one of the "big guns" in her arsenal against stain and odors. You probably could have saved your POP-UP, because A male cat sprayed inside the shell of my work truck and soaked all my chimney sweep equipment. Lots of scrubbing and time eliminated the awful odor.
Enjoy your stay at Arrowhead!
And what's with Sticky?
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #9

Registry
Sticky has a bacterial infection and he had to be on an IV and fluids for a couple days, food withheld. He was ejecting everything that went in and was dehydrated. BAD BAD tummy ache too. He slept sitting up. His new name is "The money Pit". I got him back today and he seems no worse for the experience, but he is still on lots of meds. Probably ate a present left by a squirrel. He likes the screen room, he is lounging in the shade enjoying the attention.

Here are the pictures. Yes, It's HUGE! I still have to have a screen on the trailer door. The bottom is not sealed and things get in, but not herds of them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrm2.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	3344
[attachment=4247:at
tachment]

PS.. the classic and wooden speedboat show is going on. Some nice looking old machines are here at the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
scrm1.jpg   scrm3.jpg  

Old 06-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Gina, I looked at the link and I love it (the shelter, not the link)! We have been looking for a shelter to take to dog shows that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I agree with you about guy lines -- I hate them. But, how easy would it be for one person to put up on her own? So many of the shelters I see at dog shows look like they need guy lines and more than one person to set up. Can you tell me how easy it is to set up?

Tx.
Rosemary Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Gina, Seeing as we have the same trailer, I saw your pictures and said "Why not?"

Picked one up today at Walmart and next weekend we will try it out.

The package it's in is a lot smaller than our old screen room ( two long bags, one for poles) so I like the space savings already.

Of course that's if I can get it back into the same small foorprint.
The wife said make sure you see how its packed when you open it.
The nerve, like I'm an idiot or something.....

I better remember to take the digital camera.....
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
The screen room seems like the perfect solution for managing the dogs (and for keeping them out of the squirrel gifts!).
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Can you tell me how easy it is to set up?
Very easy. At least it was when I did it in a light breeze, no rain. (Anything will be a pain otherwise!)

It is very lightweight. The poles are thin guage steel and color coded to match the PVC junctions. The corners get Blue and Green and red, blue being the roof perimeter that curves, green being the legs, red being the shorter Straight sides. All poles are shock corded BTW.

Lay out the 4 corners and the 2 "T"s that are the center of the long sides. Attach the perimeter poles. As with all the poles, they snap in with a spring clip matching a slot in the PVC. (No falling out and chasing the corners, attaching, only to have the next one come loose.. how many of us have spent hours doing THAT? ) These blue poles are the ones that put in that nice curve. They are pre bent at the factory.

Name:	junctioncorner.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	3366

Next, attach the center supports that go from the perimeter (Red) to the center T.

Name:	junctiont.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	3367

There are the Yellow poles that complete the roof support. Also slightly curved. They have pvc 3/4 round clips on them. They snap onto the red poles at the center of the roof, and go to the short width of the Red poles on the outside. This pic shows the roof center, it works the same on the outer perimeter.

Name:	centersnap.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	3368

Next, attach the 4 green poles to the corners. I left them "Folded" so I could raise the structure easily just by walking around and raising each section at a time.

BUT, before you do that, toss the room on, attached the corners via velcro and start raising. It really IS self explainitory and very easy to do.

PJ, set it up first! THEN take it out and show her how smart you are LOL!!!

There is no floor, so the dogs can go under easily. They actually like that. It will NOT be a good doggie keeper inner.

I had to use the guy lines today, the breeze has picked up. Oh well.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Gina, Seeing as we have the same trailer, I saw your pictures and said "Why not?"

Picked one up today at Walmart and next weekend we will try it out.

The package it's in is a lot smaller than our old screen room ( two long bags, one for poles) so I like the space savings already.

Of course that's if I can get it back into the same small foorprint.
The wife said make sure you see how its packed when you open it.
The nerve, like I'm an idiot or something.....

I better remember to take the digital camera.....
I got mine Saturday and although it says it takes two people, I had it up by myself within 10 minutes with no problems.

No problems remembering how it repacks...just layer all the screen fabric within the square roof fabric and fold quarters....fits great.

Most of all the poles are shockcorded together. A simple layout, and the junction fittings are color-coded. The frame snaps together, the legs fit in real simple. Layout the fabric over the frame before attaching the legs, stick the legs on, stretch and hook the four shock-corded corners at each leg base, VOLA!

The poles are a bit light, the whole thing is made for medium light-duty fair weather use. Hard-core campers will probably get two seasons out of it before needing to replace it. At it's price that's not too bad.

I only wish that the roof fabric was ripstop nylon or tarp instead of dacron cloth. It's"water-resistant" not "water-proof". I'm probably going to fabricate a Tarp to velcro over it if rain threatens...that is if the frame can take the added weight.

It's big, goodlooking and worth the price....hmmm alot like me!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Oh ya, I'm easily led (astray). Just picked one up. My wife took one look at the picture and said (and I paraphrase): "That's what I have been pining for for years now. Why are you just sitting there?" She's of the EpiPen persuasion, so I could reluctantly agree.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #16

Sorry to hear it doesn't keep the dogs in... hmm... my 2 are quite a bit larger than yours - they don't start with the presumption that they can fit through or under anything - maybe it would trick them into thinking they couldn't...!

otherwise, I'll be hauling the xPens along...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #17

Registry
Carol, the only thing to keep dogs in is stuff designed to keep them in.. and even sometimes that doesn't work.

Mine are tethered, and I have a small pen. It rarely goes with me. They like the tethering freedom (If that makes any sense) better.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #18

My 2 are weirdos... 'specially the big one - going anywhere just doesn't occur to him and even at 90 pounds, a 2' baby gate stops him cold... (and he's an agility dog - 2' feet is nothing to him unless it is a fence!)

the little one is only 4 months old and at this point she will only follow the big guy's lead... hopefully she will stay that way.

they are sweet, but wacky.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I used the screen room thi weekend and it works just as Gina reported. Very nice , and I got it back in the nice case it came with without needing pictures.!
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #20

Registry

I torn mine down this morning, and it came apart quickly, logically and easily! Packed up real nice.

I would happily recommend this as a viable lightwieght alternative to an awning.

The advantage.. it doesn't have to go by the trailer, it can be set anywhere you want.