New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Very nice! On my to-do list also, seeing how great yours turned out might help with the motivation.

Especially impressed with (of all things) the use of ball bearings to fill holes in metal trim. Love it when I find a suprising new solution to a problem. That one is pretty slick.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Sorry Shannon....we cant beleave you made it IF we don't see a picture!

Really it does sound interesting and a picture would be great. Love the flour,much better than carpet and throw rugs will take care of the cool toes.Plus throw rugs are easy to shake out and wash.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh ,I see it now! I was thinking that was another nice storage box under the table. We had put one like that under our table in the pop-up camper that we use to own. Came in handy for games and things we didn't need often.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
nice

I like the floor and the cabinet doors....i'm gonna copy it
Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
bought some flooring - took doors to the Amish

I am getting a new table top, and nine doors made of solid cherry....got Allure flooring Cherry...can't wait to get them in
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
I see a lot of folks are using Allure for their flooring. Any thoughts on the square pieces vs the planks? 12x12, 12x23.82 or 12x36. What's the easiest to work with given the limited size in a 16' #4 Scamp?
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #20

Michigan
Allure cuts pretty easy, has staggered seams if done optimally. And possibly most important it "floats". The square tiles I looked at glue down to the wood floor. The allure each piece sticks to the other pieces making a sheet held in place by the walls and cabinets but not attached to the floor. Thus it "floats" on top of the wood underneath.

Floating means the whole sheet can expand and contract from heat and cold more or less as one piece, I think this will make it less likely to get seams pulled apart. No glue underneath to clean up if ever removed.

Trim holds a floating floor down and in loosely in place, I'm not going to use caulk at the edges if I can help it so that the floor can respond to our sub zero winters and 90+ summers without pulling apart because it is stuck at the edges. At most I'll use caulk only on non-opposite sides so that there is still some room to expand and contract.

One long cut on several feet of Allure for a long edge, cutting several tiles to fit the same edge. Might be a toss up, but measuring and cutting several smaller pieces is more work and harder to get a smooth edge. On the other hand cutting one 4 ft. long cut straight and accurate can be a bit of a challenge, some find it easier to cut short pieces.

Glued down was my biggest reason for not doing square tiles. I just had way too much fun removing glue in the camper and over the years to want to glue the new stuff down.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #21

Colorado
Thanks Roger! That makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #22

Michigan
I should add the cutting sort of depends on which way you run it. Across or length wise. If it was run across you would have a bunch or short cuts but I think the pattern might be weird.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #23

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Steve, we installed this 12" x 36" Allure in our 19D a few weeks back. TrafficMASTER Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Ashlar Resilient Vinyl Tile Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-211713 - The Home Depot

We laid it across and staggered the joints at fifty percent and used two boxes ($120). It took all sixteen pieces and there actually wasn't that much wasted. So far we've made two four day trips and are well satisfied. The missus is much happier with this than she was with carpet.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #24

Michigan
We used a wood plank looking version. Each piece has an adhesive overlap. About the same price for 2 boxes.

TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Alpine Elm Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-63275.0 - The Home Depot

I'm not going to be laying it until this weekend but will have to see how the overlap works out. I think for plank they suggest one cut to 2 foot for second row, and use the 1 foot cut off piece to start the third row and repeat but I will look at the layout side to side.

How to install TrafficMASTER Allure GripStrip - Installation Instructions - Allure Flooring Official Website - Allure Flooring Support, Installation Tips, Reviews and More! Updated for 2015
Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #25

Colorado
So I was thinking about pulling the benches and laying it under them too. Did you folks do that or is 2 boxes if you cut around the benches? I did a rough measure last night calculating high and came up with about 54 SF. Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #26

Michigan
I'm going to the benches, I was concerned that raising the edge mounted to the floor would throw off the attachment to the wood lip on the wall. Not by a huge amount I don't guess.

I also was concerned with trapping water under flooring from any window or other leak that ran down the wall. When I had the benches out I primed and painted with oil based porch and floor paint. Seals the wood well, tough, and allows any water that does end up there to evaporate without soaking into the wood rather than get trapped against the wood. I expect there might be condensation from water tank etc. if nothing else.

In retrospect I think I might have been better off to do a bit more sanding and have coated with fiberglass resin rather than paint but primer allowed me to leave some of the old paint without sanding entirely to bare wood. Yes I am a bit lazy sometimes, though I prefer to call it time efficient.

All just a theory mind you, not based on having seen flooring trap moisture.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #27

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Steve, I didn't go under the benches either, just up to them with a piece of quarter round oak as trim on either side. Covering under them would have likely taken me into a third box of the flooring.

Al

Tags
scamp