New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Thanks Roger! That makes a lot of sense.
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I should add the cutting sort of depends on which way you run it. Across or length wise. If it was run across you would have a bunch or short cuts but I think the pattern might be weird.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Steve, we installed this 12" x 36" Allure in our 19D a few weeks back. TrafficMASTER Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Ashlar Resilient Vinyl Tile Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-211713 - The Home Depot

We laid it across and staggered the joints at fifty percent and used two boxes ($120). It took all sixteen pieces and there actually wasn't that much wasted. So far we've made two four day trips and are well satisfied. The missus is much happier with this than she was with carpet.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #24

Michigan
We used a wood plank looking version. Each piece has an adhesive overlap. About the same price for 2 boxes.

TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Alpine Elm Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-63275.0 - The Home Depot

I'm not going to be laying it until this weekend but will have to see how the overlap works out. I think for plank they suggest one cut to 2 foot for second row, and use the 1 foot cut off piece to start the third row and repeat but I will look at the layout side to side.

How to install TrafficMASTER Allure GripStrip - Installation Instructions - Allure Flooring Official Website - Allure Flooring Support, Installation Tips, Reviews and More! Updated for 2015
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
So I was thinking about pulling the benches and laying it under them too. Did you folks do that or is 2 boxes if you cut around the benches? I did a rough measure last night calculating high and came up with about 54 SF. Thoughts?
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #26

Michigan
I'm going to the benches, I was concerned that raising the edge mounted to the floor would throw off the attachment to the wood lip on the wall. Not by a huge amount I don't guess.

I also was concerned with trapping water under flooring from any window or other leak that ran down the wall. When I had the benches out I primed and painted with oil based porch and floor paint. Seals the wood well, tough, and allows any water that does end up there to evaporate without soaking into the wood rather than get trapped against the wood. I expect there might be condensation from water tank etc. if nothing else.

In retrospect I think I might have been better off to do a bit more sanding and have coated with fiberglass resin rather than paint but primer allowed me to leave some of the old paint without sanding entirely to bare wood. Yes I am a bit lazy sometimes, though I prefer to call it time efficient.

All just a theory mind you, not based on having seen flooring trap moisture.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Steve, I didn't go under the benches either, just up to them with a piece of quarter round oak as trim on either side. Covering under them would have likely taken me into a third box of the flooring.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp