New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Rav4 - 6 cyl
Washington
New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13'

Hi all,

Pulled out the Scamp basic brown carpet and replaced with the Allure, 'Lisbon Cork'. I used the original Allure, not the Ultra version (mostly b/c the Ultra was not available when I bought it last year.... yes...it's been sitting on the to-do list since last year)... Anyway --- went down fairly easily. I laid down a layer of 3mm closed cell insulation underneath to hopefully add a little warmth. After pulling out the carpet, there was enough space under the benches "upstairs" that I could run the planks under the benches and still keep the floor floating. I did have to sand and tidy up the bottom of both benches to make sure there was full clearance all along the bottom edges. The stair nose is epoxy'd to the flooring so it all floats. To fill in the unused screw holes in the metal nose strip, I used hardened steel machine ball bearings epoxy'd in place. I did glue the stair riser planks and the toe kick planks (under the kitchen area) to the metal frame of Scamp.

For the "downstairs" I used spacers around the entire perimeter to maintain the factory recommended 1/8th " expansion/contraction gap and then caulked with DAP Dynaflex 230 elastomeric caulking that was the same color as the flooring (pure luck that it matched). The edges came out so cleanly that I decided to forgo using quarter round edging or baseboards, etc.

I've never done flooring of any kind before so I went really slowly and multi-measured and dry fitted EVERYTHING before I cut or laid anything down. Also -- the Allure glue edges are really sticky. Someone in this forum advised to use wax paper strips on the glue edges until you get ready to actually stick them together to keep debris off them -- that was very good advise and helped a lot.

Really happy with it. I think it will be a bit chilly on the toes, but a couple little rugs should fix that. Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Good fun. Take care.

Shannon
Attached Thumbnails
Underlayment.jpg   StairEdge.jpg  

EdgeSpacers.jpg   AfterOtto.jpg  

Caulking.jpg   AfterDownstairs2.jpg  

Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Looks great. I like the color.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Very rich looking, nice job.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the details. This is on my to-do list as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
I love the cork! Great job installing too.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Really like the look, great job.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Beautiful installation job. Its amazing what a difference new flooring makes in our little trailers.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #8

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
On my todo list as well. I love the cork wood at the local Lowes. Real wood (laminate of course). I like the lighter color.

That is pretty stuff.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #9

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Looks great Shannon!

I love the ottoman idea. Will have to execute it out of some scraps from my floor installation job.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Sorry Shannon....we cant beleave you made it IF we don't see a picture!

Really it does sound interesting and a picture would be great. Love the flour,much better than carpet and throw rugs will take care of the cool toes.Plus throw rugs are easy to shake out and wash.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Sorry Shannon....we cant beleave you made it IF we don't see a picture!

Really it does sound interesting and a picture would be great. Love the flour,much better than carpet and throw rugs will take care of the cool toes.Plus throw rugs are easy to shake out and wash.
Hi Lynne,
You can see it in the 4th picture-the one with the table leg. It's straddling the upper floor and resting on the ledges where the table rests in bed-mode.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Looks great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Nice looking job. As for your having gone "really slowly and multi-measured and dry fitted EVERYTHING before I cut or laid anything down," I still do that on most things.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Rav4 - 6 cyl
Washington
Hey Lynn -- so bossy!

Attached are a couple pics.... the ottoman idea was kind of an after thought idea when doing remodel to Scamp but has turned into one of my favorite useful upgrades. When sitting at the table, I'm not tall enough to reach across to the other bench and put my feet up, so the ottoman solved that issue. It is so nice to 'lounge' at the table when reading or futzing on computer, or whatever.

As far as building... simply an 8" wide piece of board (I used scrap from the redo of cab doors -- 1/2" Baltic birch ply); finished it with Helmsman Spar; rounded off the lower edges so it seats well into the groove for the table/bed and allows it to slide easily to where you want it. Then used a 2" piece of foam, some batting, cloth stretched and stapled to the bottom side and voila -- ottoman. (have you ever reupholstered a dining room chair? Same idea) When not in use, I just slide it to the back wall out of the way or put it in the upper stow.
Attached Thumbnails
Ottoman.jpg   EndView.jpg  

Underside.jpg   OutOftheWay.jpg  

Tags
scamp