New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
New Allure Flooring - Scamp 13'

Hi all,

Pulled out the Scamp basic brown carpet and replaced with the Allure, 'Lisbon Cork'. I used the original Allure, not the Ultra version (mostly b/c the Ultra was not available when I bought it last year.... yes...it's been sitting on the to-do list since last year)... Anyway --- went down fairly easily. I laid down a layer of 3mm closed cell insulation underneath to hopefully add a little warmth. After pulling out the carpet, there was enough space under the benches "upstairs" that I could run the planks under the benches and still keep the floor floating. I did have to sand and tidy up the bottom of both benches to make sure there was full clearance all along the bottom edges. The stair nose is epoxy'd to the flooring so it all floats. To fill in the unused screw holes in the metal nose strip, I used hardened steel machine ball bearings epoxy'd in place. I did glue the stair riser planks and the toe kick planks (under the kitchen area) to the metal frame of Scamp.

For the "downstairs" I used spacers around the entire perimeter to maintain the factory recommended 1/8th " expansion/contraction gap and then caulked with DAP Dynaflex 230 elastomeric caulking that was the same color as the flooring (pure luck that it matched). The edges came out so cleanly that I decided to forgo using quarter round edging or baseboards, etc.

I've never done flooring of any kind before so I went really slowly and multi-measured and dry fitted EVERYTHING before I cut or laid anything down. Also -- the Allure glue edges are really sticky. Someone in this forum advised to use wax paper strips on the glue edges until you get ready to actually stick them together to keep debris off them -- that was very good advise and helped a lot.

Really happy with it. I think it will be a bit chilly on the toes, but a couple little rugs should fix that. Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Good fun. Take care.

Shannon
Attached Thumbnails
Underlayment.jpg   StairEdge.jpg  

EdgeSpacers.jpg   AfterOtto.jpg  

Caulking.jpg   AfterDownstairs2.jpg  

Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Looks great. I like the color.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Very rich looking, nice job.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the details. This is on my to-do list as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
I love the cork! Great job installing too.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Really like the look, great job.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Beautiful installation job. Its amazing what a difference new flooring makes in our little trailers.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
On my todo list as well. I love the cork wood at the local Lowes. Real wood (laminate of course). I like the lighter color.

That is pretty stuff.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Looks great Shannon!

I love the ottoman idea. Will have to execute it out of some scraps from my floor installation job.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Sorry Shannon....we cant beleave you made it IF we don't see a picture!

Really it does sound interesting and a picture would be great. Love the flour,much better than carpet and throw rugs will take care of the cool toes.Plus throw rugs are easy to shake out and wash.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Oh -- and for an added put-yer-feet-up comfort piece while sitting at the table, I made a little "ottoman" out of the scrap wood from the cupboard doors that fits in the groove for the table/bed. It is padded and slides back and forth and then stows up above or on the floor when sleeping. Two people can use it at the same time.

Really it does sound interesting and a picture would be great. Love the flour,much better than carpet and throw rugs will take care of the cool toes.Plus throw rugs are easy to shake out and wash.
Hi Lynne,
You can see it in the 4th picture-the one with the table leg. It's straddling the upper floor and resting on the ledges where the table rests in bed-mode.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Looks great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Nice looking job. As for your having gone "really slowly and multi-measured and dry fitted EVERYTHING before I cut or laid anything down," I still do that on most things.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #14

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Hey Lynn -- so bossy!

Attached are a couple pics.... the ottoman idea was kind of an after thought idea when doing remodel to Scamp but has turned into one of my favorite useful upgrades. When sitting at the table, I'm not tall enough to reach across to the other bench and put my feet up, so the ottoman solved that issue. It is so nice to 'lounge' at the table when reading or futzing on computer, or whatever.

As far as building... simply an 8" wide piece of board (I used scrap from the redo of cab doors -- 1/2" Baltic birch ply); finished it with Helmsman Spar; rounded off the lower edges so it seats well into the groove for the table/bed and allows it to slide easily to where you want it. Then used a 2" piece of foam, some batting, cloth stretched and stapled to the bottom side and voila -- ottoman. (have you ever reupholstered a dining room chair? Same idea) When not in use, I just slide it to the back wall out of the way or put it in the upper stow.
Attached Thumbnails
Ottoman.jpg   EndView.jpg  

Underside.jpg   OutOftheWay.jpg  

Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Very nice! On my to-do list also, seeing how great yours turned out might help with the motivation.

Especially impressed with (of all things) the use of ball bearings to fill holes in metal trim. Love it when I find a suprising new solution to a problem. That one is pretty slick.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh ,I see it now! I was thinking that was another nice storage box under the table. We had put one like that under our table in the pop-up camper that we use to own. Came in handy for games and things we didn't need often.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
nice

I like the floor and the cabinet doors....i'm gonna copy it
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
bought some flooring - took doors to the Amish

I am getting a new table top, and nine doors made of solid cherry....got Allure flooring Cherry...can't wait to get them in
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
I see a lot of folks are using Allure for their flooring. Any thoughts on the square pieces vs the planks? 12x12, 12x23.82 or 12x36. What's the easiest to work with given the limited size in a 16' #4 Scamp?
Thanks.
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Allure cuts pretty easy, has staggered seams if done optimally. And possibly most important it "floats". The square tiles I looked at glue down to the wood floor. The allure each piece sticks to the other pieces making a sheet held in place by the walls and cabinets but not attached to the floor. Thus it "floats" on top of the wood underneath.

Floating means the whole sheet can expand and contract from heat and cold more or less as one piece, I think this will make it less likely to get seams pulled apart. No glue underneath to clean up if ever removed.

Trim holds a floating floor down and in loosely in place, I'm not going to use caulk at the edges if I can help it so that the floor can respond to our sub zero winters and 90+ summers without pulling apart because it is stuck at the edges. At most I'll use caulk only on non-opposite sides so that there is still some room to expand and contract.

One long cut on several feet of Allure for a long edge, cutting several tiles to fit the same edge. Might be a toss up, but measuring and cutting several smaller pieces is more work and harder to get a smooth edge. On the other hand cutting one 4 ft. long cut straight and accurate can be a bit of a challenge, some find it easier to cut short pieces.

Glued down was my biggest reason for not doing square tiles. I just had way too much fun removing glue in the camper and over the years to want to glue the new stuff down.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp