new awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
For me, the search for a perfect awning has been endless. I like the look of the canvas "vintage" awnings, but wanted something bigger and that didn't puddle in the middle.
For a couple of years we useda Eureka Deluxe Carport which is supposed to be attached to a car roof rack with straps. Our old Scamp didn't have an awning track, but some hooks, which we rigged up to support the carport. Last year the awning broke up in a tornado (really! in NY), and the Scamp burned up. Long story there....
This year, I found what appears to be a sturdy, simple "carport" made by Big Agnes. It is called a Twin Butte Carport. It was expensive, but on sale through their website, as a pre-production sample.
I removed the straps that were supposed to be used to attach the awning to a car rack, and sewed on some vinyl awning welt that fits perfectly through my bolers awning track.
(Quick note, it does have grommets in the corner so it can be staked down as a small lean-to in case of tornados...)
Marjie
Attached Thumbnails
phpMRSqaaPM.jpg   phpyv3qVEPM.jpg  

phpdkpH2mPM.jpg  
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do the poles break down small like a tent pole? The cross ones look longer than your trailer. I am assuming they break down smaller? Thanks for sharing.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Do the poles break down small like a tent pole? The cross ones look longer than your trailer. I am assuming they break down smaller? Thanks for sharing.
HI Ken,
Yes, the poles fold up just like a tent poles.
There is one pole under the awning up against the awning rail (channel? not sure of my terminology). It is almost exactly the same length as the rail (78" or so, can't remember exactly).
The awning is not square. So, the other poles, on top, are longer. The two legs, are somewhat adjustable, about 12" or so.
Hope this helps.
Marjie
Attached Thumbnails
php4GzLGYPM.jpg   phpVRwVNAPM.jpg  

Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Is this it ?
http://www.backcountry.com/store/BAG0185/B...ad=3019_c1ef651
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #5

New York
Hi,
That is where I first saw it, and then went to the Big Agnes website and found it on sale. I just checked, however, and it seems like there are no more "pre-production" samples on sale. You can always call! It cost me around $175.
On the site you will also see the screen sides that make this into a screen room. But the screen room is only 8' square (the length of the shortest side), and it doesn't seem to have a provision for the space that would be under the trailer/car.
I don't know anything about this company so I sure hope their quality justify the price!
Marjie
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Marjie,
Big Agnes has a good reputation in the backpacking community, I believe.
Their design looks a lot like the Kelty Carport...right up to the price .

We used a Kelty Carport as a galley cover for our teardrop when we had it.
I still have an unused one out in the garage that I've been meaning to set up next to our Scamp to see if it'd work.

What kind of hooks did you use with your Carport?
Attached Thumbnails
carport.JPG  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

New York
[quote]
Hi Marjie,
Big Agnes has a good reputation in the backpacking community, I believe.
Their design looks a lot like the Kelty Carport...right up to the price .

We used a Kelty Carport as a galley cover for our teardrop when we had it.
I still have an unused one out in the garage that I've been meaning to set up next to our Scamp to see if it'd work.

What kind of hooks did you use with your Carport?

/quote]

Hi Willar,
If you do a search: kelty+awning under "modifications and updates" you will see more pictures from me....submitted two years ago. We just used the cross bar of the awning, and strapped them onto two large hooks that were already on the Scamp when we bought it.
After the Scamp's demise we got the boler with the awning track. Then, we slid an old tent pole through the track (it fit, just by luck), and tied the awning to the ends that stuck out. Sorry, no pictures of that. The obvious problem was the space between the trailer and the awning. I fixed that this time by removing the straps, and adding an awning welt. No space.
While the Kelty Deluxe Carport (did I say Eureka before???) was really nice, it was alittle too convoluted. Didn't need that much going on.....
Hope this helps,
Marjie
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
This looks alot like the one I bought from the www.busdepot.com. I got the suction cup adapters and it works pretty good.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
newawning.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #9

New York
Quote:
This looks alot like the one I bought from the www.busdepot.com. I got the suction cup adapters and it works pretty good.

Karen
Karen,
Oh! That looks good also! How are the suction cups working out? It's a good idea, and so simple.
Marjie
Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
What I do (but it hasn't been tested too much) is attach the Kelty carport with Velcro- I used the adhesive stuff (heavy duty adhesive) for the top of the Campster and then attach rings to that with more velcro. It works- don't know what it will do on a breezy day with sun softening the adhesive, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote