New awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #15

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Hi Rick, the awning look like a good idea for the compact's. do you need to take the hooks out when droping the top or will they clear them. I am thinking of a similar set up for mine.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
We also use the cheapskate approach. A white 6x8 tarp (~$22.00 with shipping), suction cups from Harbour Freight ($8.00), and poles from a tent we had provide a $30.00 option. The cups let loose in a stiff wind, which is O.K. since there's not much danger of damage.
Tony and Darlene

Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rick, the awning look like a good idea for the compact's. do you need to take the hooks out when droping the top or will they clear them. I am thinking of a similar set up for mine.
No they clear the top. I'll will show you when we meet
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
We also use the cheapskate approach. A white 6x8 tarp (~$22.00 with shipping), suction cups from Harbour Freight ($8.00), and poles from a tent we had provide a $30.00 option. The cups let loose in a stiff wind, which is O.K. since there's not much danger of damage.
Tony and Darlene
Tony and Darlene
Could you use the suction cup like the window installers use ? I think your idea is a great solution for anybody with a rounded trailer who dosen't want to put holes in the fiberglass. Nice thinking
Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #19

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Quote:
Tony and Darlene
suction cups from Harbour freight, I just went to their on line site, and wondering if they are there. I saw nothing with hooks on them. How would one use the ones pictured on their site?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby take a look at the suction cups that they sell to hang holiday decorations on windows. That is what I use and the cost is $2.39 each. If attached correctly they will stay up in a good wind and will not damage the gel coat at all.

Quote:
suction cups from Harbour freight, I just went to their on line site, and wondering if they are there. I saw nothing with hooks on them. How would one use the ones pictured on their site?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
Check this set up out. Less than $30.00 and works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02491.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	22301

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02492.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #22

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington

Karolyn, I have used this system for several years. I attached the suction cups to the tarp semi-permanently with cable ties, caribiners scratch the gel-coat.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Karalyn, The suction cups are made for plate glass/mirrors and as Rusty comments cable ties are used to attach to the cup handles. This makes me think I first saw it on Rusty's or Jame's rigs! The suction cups I got a few years ago are red and black, so they "match" the Scamp. Tony and Darlene