New awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
This is the awning I made for our Compact Jr. I used 2 -12 X 9 foot plastic tarps, tape together with Gorilla Tape and Blue Duck Tape. This weekend we had a major rain storm and the awning did great. No leaks and the seams held. Very cheep but a very good awning

Click image for larger version

Name:	OUR_TRIP_TO_LETCHWORTH__small_005.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	21643

It is L shaped so it covers the rear door

Name:	OUR_TRIP_TO_LETCHWORTH_002.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	21644

Name:	OUR_TRIP_TO_LETCHWORTH_small_004.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	21645
[attachment=25938:OUR_TRIP...mall_003.
jpg]

It only took about 2 or 3 hours to make
Attached Thumbnails
OUR_TRIP_TO_LETCHWORTH_small_003.jpg  
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Now that is practical, and cheap. How did you attach it to the camper?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Registry
With hooks bolted to lip on trailer. The awning w/o poles is about 1.5 lbs. This compares to the EZ Up at about 60 lbs.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Lookin good, Rick!
Here's hoping there's another Niagara Wine Tour this fall so that we can see it.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Rick - thanx for posting your very innovative awning idea. L 'n D
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Lookin good, Rick!
Here's hoping there's another Niagara Wine Tour this fall so that we can see it.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I have some other things we did this spring that I will try to post soon. Some one
(Alf) should look in a fall meet. hint, hint.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I would be interested in pictures of how you bolted the hooks, through the lip of the roof, how far apart did you space them, and did you add grommets to the tarp or go with the existing ones on the tarp. Interesting option. We purposefully bought a self standing awning, lighter weight, but not as light weight as what you have there.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
I would be interested in pictures of how you bolted the hooks, through the lip of the roof, how far apart did you space them, and did you add grommets to the tarp or go with the existing ones on the tarp. Interesting option. We purposefully bought a self standing awning, lighter weight, but not as light weight as what you have there.
I pestered my brother Steve until he created a place to hook a rear tarp to, too. (Not L-shaped, just out the back). He put fairly large eye hooks in, but didn't want to destroy the waterproofness of the fiberglass. Perhaps he would comment on it. Steve?

Shucks--could only find this fuzzy photo, but it does show two of the eye-bolts Steve put on to hold the tarp. He put in three--two for the edges of that end of the tarp and a higher one (on the pop-top) for the middle of that end of the tarp. (It RAINS here!) I used a lightweight tarp w/ grommets in it already, Steve just used a caribiner to hook it to the eyes. I also use extendable aluminum poles to support the distant tarp, but since it rains so much here the end of the tarp can be set up so as to flop over and thus provide a little more shelter if the Compact Jr.'s rear just happens to be facing into the wind.

I agree--lightweight, compact, and good to have!

Name:	Steve__s_10_07_improvements__to_Jr.__less_pixels__024.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	21707

Cory
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Nice job Rick & Steve on the awnings, light weight, low cost, etc.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I love the awning. We've been camping a few times in the Scamp where we were out in the open on a sunny day. We bought a tarp we could string up in the trees on the occasions where there were trees to use but it's totally unreliable. I think Kirby has a new project. Where did you get the poles from?
Kirby and Adele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
We have a Scamp 13'. I bought a 6X8 poly tarp at Walmart for $8.00 and 3" suction cups from Hobby Lobby. I already had the poles from an old canopy. The suction cups are made with hooks in them to attach the tarp. The whole thing weights about 3lbs and is carried in an unused tent bag. it makes for a great set up.

James
James9005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks to everyone for you comments. I got the idea from a post showing a tarp coming off the back of a Jr and thought why not take it down the side. Here are the pictures of the hooks I put in the lip of the trailer

Name:	INSIDE_MODS_TO_TRAILER_001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	21748

This is the outside hook in the center of the trailer. I used 3 hooks across the side and 2 in the back over the door

Name:	INSIDE_MODS_TO_TRAILER_020.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	21749

This is a picture of one of the hooks over door

Name:	INSIDE_BOLT_FOR_AWEING_SMALL_006.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	21750

This how I secured them on the inside

Name:	INSIDE_MODS_TO_TRAILER_SMALL_003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	21751

I also rounded the corner of the door in case the awning I would not rip it when opening door

By securing the tarp to the upper lip of the trailer allows me to walk under it without touching the tarp with my head. You can buy the poles on line or I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. Already had some poles so I just needed to buy 3. For ropes I used tie downs and used the screw in stakes (like they have for dogs) to secure it to the ground.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
We have a Scamp 13'. I bought a 6X8 poly tarp at Walmart for $8.00 and 3" suction cups from Hobby Lobby. I already had the poles from an old canopy. The suction cups are made with hooks in them to attach the tarp. The whole thing weights about 3lbs and is carried in an unused tent bag. it makes for a great set up.

James

Does it hold up well in wind and if it was raining when you set up would you still be able to use the suction cups?

Thanks for the ideas.
Kirby and Adele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #15

Hi Rick, the awning look like a good idea for the compact's. do you need to take the hooks out when droping the top or will they clear them. I am thinking of a similar set up for mine.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
We also use the cheapskate approach. A white 6x8 tarp (~$22.00 with shipping), suction cups from Harbour Freight ($8.00), and poles from a tent we had provide a $30.00 option. The cups let loose in a stiff wind, which is O.K. since there's not much danger of damage.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rick, the awning look like a good idea for the compact's. do you need to take the hooks out when droping the top or will they clear them. I am thinking of a similar set up for mine.
No they clear the top. I'll will show you when we meet
Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
We also use the cheapskate approach. A white 6x8 tarp (~$22.00 with shipping), suction cups from Harbour Freight ($8.00), and poles from a tent we had provide a $30.00 option. The cups let loose in a stiff wind, which is O.K. since there's not much danger of damage.
Tony and Darlene
Tony and Darlene
Could you use the suction cup like the window installers use ? I think your idea is a great solution for anybody with a rounded trailer who dosen't want to put holes in the fiberglass. Nice thinking
Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Tony and Darlene
suction cups from Harbour freight, I just went to their on line site, and wondering if they are there. I saw nothing with hooks on them. How would one use the ones pictured on their site?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby take a look at the suction cups that they sell to hang holiday decorations on windows. That is what I use and the cost is $2.39 each. If attached correctly they will stay up in a good wind and will not damage the gel coat at all.

Quote:
suction cups from Harbour freight, I just went to their on line site, and wondering if they are there. I saw nothing with hooks on them. How would one use the ones pictured on their site?
James9005 is offline   Reply With Quote